Vikings, one of the worst teams to cheer for in NFL history.

kris_kapsner

So I was thinking that it wasn’t so bad being a Vikings fan. I mean heck, we’ve been to four Super Bowls. We boasted the Purple People Eaters of the ‘70’s. We had one of the best offenses the NFL has ever seen in ‘98. We have gone to quite a few championship games, 4 over the last 20 years doesn't feel too bad. 

Then it struck me. You know what? There are only 16 teams in our NFC Conference. We send one of those 16 teams to the Super Bowl every year. The big dominant dynasty teams are in the AFC, the Steelers and Patriots. 

The last time the Vikings were in a Super Bowl was January 9, 1977. I was born 5 days later. I’m 41 years old and my team has never been to the Super Bowl in my life time. There’s only one other team in our entire Conference who has been that inept over the past 41 years...the Detroit Lions. 

Are you kidding me?  Every other team in the NFC has been to a Super Bowl in my lifetime.  

On average, over those 40 years every NFC team should get to the Super Bowl 2.5 times. We’ve been there ZERO. 

So, when I think about it like that, the Vikings have been one of the worst teams to cheer for.

2 minutes ago, kris_kapsner said:
So I was thinking that it wasn’t so bad being a Vikings fan. I mean heck, we’ve been to four Super Bowls. We boasted the Purple People Eaters of the ‘70’s. We had one of the best offenses the NFL has ever seen in ‘98. We have gone to quite a few championship games, 4 over the last 20 years doesn't feel too bad. 

Then it struck me. You know what? There are only 16 teams in our NFC Conference. We send one of those 16 teams to the Super Bowl every year. The big dominant dynasty teams are in the AFC, the Steelers and Patriots. 

The last time the Vikings were in a Super Bowl was January 9, 1977. I was born 5 days later. I’m 41 years old and my team has never been to the Super Bowl in my life time. There’s only one other team in our entire Conference who has been that inept over the past 41 years...the Detroit Lions. 

Are you kidding me?  Every other team in the NFC has been to a Super Bowl in my lifetime.  

On average, over those 40 years every NFC team should get to the Super Bowl 2.5 times. We’ve been there ZERO. 

So, when I think about it like that, the Vikings have been one of the worst teams to cheer for.

Yes...but think about how well you are learning to deal with life's disappointments!!

Actually, not sure everyone is quite aware that the Vikings and Lions are the ONLY two teams in our entire conference who haven't been to a Super Bowl in the last 40 years.  

I'm a Vikings fan through and through.  Just sad that we can't even get to the big dance in my lifetime at this point.  Especially when there are only 15 other teams we are competing with to get there year after year.

I feel you.

Everything has its time. We don't know when the Vikings time will be but it will be joyous when it happens. I keep rooting and can't wait.

If misery loves company, we need to start looking further to find more company. There are a few organizations in other major pro sports that we can look to for examples of fanbases that have waited longer. Many of those haven't come so close to fall short so often so our torture is a bit different than theirs.

the Vikings are a GREAT team to cheer for! they have a storied history filled with fantastic players and exciting games.

yes, they have had some disappointing losses too. but to evaluate a football team solely on the pinnacle of success - winning  a Super Bowl, or even multiple ones, is fraught with disappointment. do you evaluate yourself or those around you with only the HIGHEST level of achievement in mind, and if they do not achieve at that level do you feel you/they are at their worst?

i would hope not.

It comes down to more than just getting to the Super Bowl.  We will have our time.  In spite of the stat quoted in the OP of this thread, the Vikings are one of the winningest teams in the NFL since our inception.  If we keep putting good teams on the field, we will get over the hump, and might even have multiple wins in a short time span.  We used to be able to say that the Twins were pathetic.  Then they had one magical season in '87 and followed it up with another championship 4 years later.  We will get ours.

I know we all are still hurting from the embarrassing display put forth by this team in the championship game.But in my opinion to even suggest the Vikings are one of the worst teams to cheer for is laughably ridiculous. The Vikings are the sixth most winning franchise in the history of the NFL as it stands right now. If we were to adjust to include only the years we have been in the NFL we would likely jump up another spot maybe 2. While we may not have our SB victory yet that is still something we can be proud about.

I love being a Vikings fan. I don't need to rely on Super Bowl trophies and bring those up in every argument to prove how good my team is. I just look at the HOF'ers, Stadium, New HQ, and our coach. We'll get one eventually but it's not going to end my fandom if we don't.

Archived