Vikings, one of the worst teams to cheer for in NFL history.

kris_kapsner

I'm just as disappointed as all of you, and I'm sure it's nice for those Buccaneers fans that can still cherish their 1 Super Bowl title back in 2002-2003, but still, if I had to make a call I'd still take our 4 division titles and 6 playoff appearances (along with 2 NFCC losses) over their 2 division titles and playoff appearances every day of the week and twice on Tuesday. 

With that said, I'm still aggravated now that this is the 2nd NFCC game I had to turn off in the middle of it of the 5 I've witnessed, and I won't probably be able to get it completely  out of my system until the  first snap of the preseason 2018.  I'm not even sure how much of the Super Bowl itself I will even watch, if any...the only reason I have to follow it at all is so I can tell my wife when "This is Us" is coming on.  :D

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

I'm just as disappointed as all of you, and I'm sure it's nice for those Buccaneers fans that can still cherish their 1 Super Bowl title back in 2002-2003, but still, if I had to make a call I'd still take our 4 division titles and 6 playoff appearances (along with 2 NFCC losses) over their 2 division titles and playoff appearances every day of the week and twice on Tuesday. 

With that said, I'm still aggravated now that this is the 2nd NFCC game I had to turn off in the middle of it of the 5 I've witnessed, and I won't probably be able to get it completely  out of my system until the  first snap of the preseason 2018.  I'm not even sure how much of the Super Bowl itself I will even watch, if any...the only reason I have to follow it at all is so I can tell my wife when "This is Us" is coming on.  :D

Unfortunately, I am hosting our annual Super Bowl party.  I just might have to change it to the Hallmark Movie party.

I don't think I will watch the Super Bowl this year. I hate the Eagles too much to watch them win. I think the Patriots will win it, but I don't think I'd recover from an Eagles win in the middle of Wentz country.

As far as this team...I completely understand the OP's sentiment. Being a Vikings fan is absolutely brutal. They get your hopes up, only to crush them in the most horrific of ways. They make you think they're a team of destiny...then they play without any heart whatsoever. They've conditioned us to expect the worst, but then they tease us. They're like the hot girl that shows interest in you, only to tear you down in front of all of your friends. But through it all, I think that all of this strife and pain will make it all that much sweeter when(if...) they actually win it all. 

But yeah, until that first snap of next season, I hate them. 

On 1/28/2018 at 4:03 PM, kris_kapsner said:

Actually, not sure everyone is quite aware that the Vikings and Lions are the ONLY two teams in our entire conference who haven't been to a Super Bowl in the last 40 years.  

I'm a Vikings fan through and through.  Just sad that we can't even get to the big dance in my lifetime at this point.  Especially when there are only 15 other teams we are competing with to get there year after year.

The problem isn't that the Vikings haven't been to the SB in your lifetime.  It's just that you were born too late.

Think positive.  If you were my age, you would have to say 'the Vikings lost 4 SBs in my lifetime'.  You can proudly say they lost no SBs in your lifetime.... b/c you were born too late.

To the OP and others who are too young to remember the last Super Bowl the Vikings played in.  Making it to the Super Bowl and losing is 100 times worse than losing a NFCCG.  I have witnessed four losses...to the Chiefs, Dolphins, Steelers and Raiders.  Each one still hurts.  Making it to the Super Bowl and losing is NOT an achievement in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

To the OP and others who are too young to remember the last Super Bowl the Vikings played in.  Making it to the Super Bowl and losing is 100 times worse than losing a NFCCG.  I have witnessed four losses...to the Chiefs, Dolphins, Steelers and Raiders.  Each one still hurts.  Making it to the Super Bowl and losing is NOT an achievement in my opinion.

I have to agree with you wholeheartedly on that!  When I was younger, I was a Viking's fan, then switched allegiances to a team to the East.  They won a SB and lost one, and I was heart-broken for a long, long time.

On 1/28/2018 at 11:43 AM, kris_kapsner said:
So I was thinking that it wasn’t so bad being a Vikings fan. I mean heck, we’ve been to four Super Bowls. We boasted the Purple People Eaters of the ‘70’s. We had one of the best offenses the NFL has ever seen in ‘98. We have gone to quite a few championship games, 4 over the last 20 years doesn't feel too bad. 

Then it struck me. You know what? There are only 16 teams in our NFC Conference. We send one of those 16 teams to the Super Bowl every year. The big dominant dynasty teams are in the AFC, the Steelers and Patriots. 

The last time the Vikings were in a Super Bowl was January 9, 1977. I was born 5 days later. I’m 41 years old and my team has never been to the Super Bowl in my life time. There’s only one other team in our entire Conference who has been that inept over the past 41 years...the Detroit Lions. 

Are you kidding me?  Every other team in the NFC has been to a Super Bowl in my lifetime.  

On average, over those 40 years every NFC team should get to the Super Bowl 2.5 times. We’ve been there ZERO. 

So, when I think about it like that, the Vikings have been one of the worst teams to cheer for.

The Lions have not played in a SB.

The Vikings almost never have a top draft pick, meaning most seasons are competence.

The Dennis Green era saw playoffs every year. 

The Hershel Walker trade was a complicated deal, part conspiracy, part coincidence. The Vikings were on a short list of teams with solid talent minus a RB. 

Childress pulled off a clever deal that brought in Favre and Allen, putting the Vikings one infamous game ( Saints) from the SB.

On 1/29/2018 at 8:06 PM, Purplexing said:

The problem isn't that the Vikings haven't been to the SB in your lifetime.  It's just that you were born too late.

Think positive.  If you were my age, you would have to say 'the Vikings lost 4 SBs in my lifetime'.  You can proudly say they lost no SBs in your lifetime.... b/c you were born too late.

That era had the greatest music EVER!!

On 1/30/2018 at 10:37 AM, vike daddy said:

been there, done that!  ¬¬

Yep.  For us old timers that would have been far more painful.  If they were going to collapse, it was much better they did it on the road in the NFCCG, rather than breaking the record for Super Bowl losses in front of the world in our home stadium with a home crowd.

For the younger guys like Kris, though, I can understand how they feel too.

7 hours ago, Klomp said:

No...not really.  I don't hold the losses against the current Chiefs, Dolphins, Steelers or Raiders.  However, whenever I see some of the old timers from those teams talking about their teams championships...then I realize it still hurts.

20 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Yep.  For us old timers that would have been far more painful.  If they were going to collapse, it was much better they did it on the road in the NFCCG, rather than breaking the record for Super Bowl losses in front of the world in our home stadium with a home crowd.

For the younger guys like Kris, though, I can understand how they feel too.

It probably is better that they lost in the NFCCG, but I've grown tired of the losses in the NFCCG.  Even if they lose the Super Bowl, for me, it's better that I actually see them play in it, even if it is, in the end, more painful.  I was 3-4 years old the last time they played in a Super Bowl, but I've witnessed 5 NFCCG, all losses...been there, done that, over it.   

On 1/31/2018 at 1:20 PM, Uncle Buck said:

That era had the greatest music EVER!!

That's a matter of preference.  I contend it was a time when 60's artists learned from the 50's artists, to eventually produce slightly better music, with greater creativity and competition to become the next best thing since Elvis and The Beatles.

Back to the SB losses thing.   I believe the key to winning it all is going to be re-creating the elements that led to Grant leading 4 teams to 4 SBs.  Good management supporting the coaches.  Good coaches all on the same page and working in a unified manner, where  each coach understands their responsibility and what other coaches are responsible for doing.  Finally, Grant believed in three elements for success; a good wife, a good QB, and a good hunting dog, but not in that order.

Archived