Greatest single game performance

UKTexans

I had some free time yesterday so chucked on that Patriots vs Titans game in 2009 (sorry Titanfan), and I don't know how Brady did it? Sure he was put into favourable situations by Kerry Collins literally completing 1 pass in an entire half, but how he launched the ball in the snow and ice? He threw 5 TDs in a quarter in driving wind, snow with ice on the ground.......how?! I can't even hold the ball in icy conditions. He hooked Moss up with a 45 yarder through the air.

Freaky coincidences

Adrian Burk played QB in the 1950s mostly for the Eagles. He threw 7 tds in one game. He retired and earned a law degree. While acting as legal counsel for the Oilers, he was an on field ref.

Babe Parilli was coached at U of Kentucky by Bear Bryant and mostly played for the post Lambeau GB Packers, including a young Bart Starr (2 BB QBs). Parilli played in the AFL for the Patriots, later, the Jets. He was Namaths backup for SB III. Two Bear Bryant QBs. Parilli became the offensive coordinator for the Steelers.

Steelers vs Raiders playoff game, Immaculate Reception, the play was called by Parilli. As the last second play went awry, Burk ruled it a fair catch and a TD.

:o

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best single game performance (and yes this is a homer pick obviously) I've seen is Luke Kuechly's 24 tackle/1 INT game against the Saints in 2013. Saints had the ball for 39 minutes and 81 plays but only scored 13 points thanks to Luke's awareness, audibles, and speed. Going by this video though it was more like 22 tackles and 3 or 4 were for a loss. Also this was basically a must-win game for the Panthers if we wanted to win the division (which we went on to do).

1 hour ago, Zithers2 said:

I think the best single game performance (and yes this is a homer pick obviously) I've seen is Luke Kuechly's 24 tackle/1 INT game against the Saints in 2013. Saints had the ball for 39 minutes and 81 plays but only scored 13 points thanks to Luke's awareness, audibles, and speed. Going by this video though it was more like 22 tackles and 3 or 4 were for a loss. Also this was basically a must-win game for the Panthers if we wanted to win the division (which we went on to do).

I personally think his performance against the Cowboys topped that.

On 8/23/2017 at 1:45 AM, DontTazeMeBro said:

It's probably not because I can't even remember which game it was or what he did. But there was one game where J.J. Watt did some crazy stuff and I remember thinking I've never seen anything like this 

Pretty much any game in 2014 could describe Watt like this. He scored TDs in about four straight games, I think? He had that 80 yard pick six against EJ Manuel, had a scoop and score against Indy, think he caught a few TDs - he was simply on another level that season.

On 8/10/2017 at 11:20 PM, Forge said:

Steve young 24/36 (66.67%) 6td, 0 int.

And he led the team in rushing with 49 yards on 5 carries.

In a super bowl.

Seconded. Greatest SB performance by a QB ever in my opinion. 

According to Steve, Mike Shanahan was ticked off because they didn't get eight touchdowns. 

On 7/29/2017 at 8:13 AM, texans_uk said:

I was scrolling through Facebook and saw NFL.com were showing the highlights of Gale Sayers 1965 performance, where he churned out 6 TDs in a single game on a field that was a mud bath. 

So I'm curious what do our members think is the greatest single game performance? 

Being 74, I have seen the Sayers game performance many times. It was sensational, although Sayers was a mudder, a player who excelled on a mud field. Jimmy Brown was 97% of Cleveland's offense throughout his playing career and every team schemed 100% of their defense to stop him, but he was always able to put up huge #'s practically every game including one game where he broke 200 yards.

However, if you want to talk about great games, I think you have to look at SB performances where teams laid out everything trying to win. The most resent great game was Von Miller total dominance in winning the SB 2 years ago. It isn't flashy like offensive players but it gave Denver a SB win with absolutely nothing at QB.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived