2018 Free Agency: Possible Cap Casualties

BleedTheClock

10 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

Chris Ivory is nearly a sure cut after getting DNP late in season and in the playoffs. Given his salary and that the Jags can cut him with virtually zero dead money, I'd say he's 99.99% cut.

Abry Jones can also be cut with zero dead money, same with Allen Hurns. Jags have Malik and Dareus ahead of Abry so they might opt to save some salary there. Robinson and lee are both free agents so they can opt to save some by cutting Hurns but I think there's a good chance they bring the Allen's back

Definitely think that hurns gets cut as well, especially given that he's struggling to stay on the field. The emergence of Cole makes me interested to see what they do with the two free agents. I could see one back, not sure about both.

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

Definitely think that hurns gets cut as well, especially given that he's struggling to stay on the field. The emergence of Cole makes me interested to see what they do with the two free agents. I could see one back, not sure about both.

I am not 100% on Hurns yet mainly because even if Robinson comes back, hes coming of ACL and you have no idea what youre getting. My guess is Robinson comes back for a one-year prove it type deal, Hurns is brought back, and Westbrook and Cole round it out. Hurns can be cut the year after once the team knows more about Arob Dede and Cole.

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Jason Peters is also a very interesting case as well for the Eagles. 

13 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Zach Strief for the Saints. He’s still got a couple years left, great pass blocker 

Would be interested in either of these guys hitting the open market. Both would be significant upgrades over the likes of Chris Clark or Jeff Allen. 

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Michael Crabtree, David Amerson, Sean Smith, Bruce Irvin and Marshall Newhouse could all be cut with very little penalties for the Raiders. 

Would be zero in dead money, so I agree they all could be cut. 

I'd say maybe Seth Roberts too, would save us 2 million, but 2 million in dead money too. 

Not many for the 49ers. Zane Beadles should be gone, hopefully. Maybe Elvis Dumervil, but I suppose it depends on what we do there. If we sign Ziggy, I would assume he's gone. That's about it though. On a normal team, Jimmie Ward would be a possibility (his option year, can't stay on the field, sort of stuck between positions), but given the 4 billion katrillion zillion dollars in space we have there's no reason for us to do it, given that he's still quite talented

2 hours ago, Forge said:

The consensus is more or less that Allen Robinson should be brought back as a FA on a 1-year "prove it" sort of deal, if not just the Franchise Tag if they can't work something out.  He's a legitimate #1WR if he can come back healthy, the same as he was.  Jaguars need that.  He's far better than any of the other collection, and plays a different sort of role to the younger guys like DeDe Westbrook and Keelan Cole.

So especially considering Hurns could be cut without penalty, it probably comes down more to looking at Hurns vs Lee as the actual Free Agent decision.  Whether they keep Hurns, or cut him (if they can't get anything in trade) to dole that money out to Lee.  Have to imagine it's one or the other of those two, very unlikely to keep both.  Possibility they don't keep either if they find someone they like high in the draft.  But they'll probably want to keep some continuity with at least one of the two, as it's always a bit of a gamble on how a guy like ARob will come back from his pretty significant knee injury.  They'll want insurance there.

Essentially, you can pretty much bank on one of Hurns or Lee being out there on the market.  Really anyone's guess which though.

1 hour ago, August4th said:

Mike Mitchel and Vance Mcdonald

hope we keep vance... mike can can go

Ive checked, and This is the first time these words have ever been used in the same sentence together regarding McDonald. Be proud of the accomplishment, good sir

5 hours ago, SkippyX said:

I could see Torrey Smith and Brent Celek on the way out because the Eagles are very tight against the cap.

They would remove 10 million but take on 1 million dead cap on Celek.

I could see Celek retiring after the super bowl, but then again could see him keep chugging along too for a couple more years. He’d take a pay cut probably. As would Torrey, but I think he’s less likely to stay for sure.

Archived