2018 Free Agency: Possible Cap Casualties

BleedTheClock

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

So, what's his status? Is he pretty much done with his heart condition? 

Sad way to end your playing career. 

That's what it seems like. I don't think there will be anyone who signs him, but he maybe could play again.

45 minutes ago, scar988 said:

For the Falcons:

QB Matt Schaub (saves $4.25M)

OG Andy Levitre (saves $7.0M)

EDGE Brooks Reed (saves $3.56M)

DL Derrick Shelby (saves $3.25M)

Do you think that Levitre is likely? That offensive line looked like it struggled considerably without him in the lineup, or was that just my imagination? That's a steep price for a guard, but given the rising prices of interior offensive line, it's not egregious or anything. 

18 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Matthews, Cobb and Nelson are all possible. Cobb most likely to be cut but most likely we keep all three though hopefully after restructures. 

I have a feeling all 3 of them will be back under their current contracts unless suitable replacements are found.

3 hours ago, The Gnat said:

For the Vikings:

Sharrif Floyd will be gone.

Latavius Murray is another possible option, but I don't think he will be because we more likely just won't resign McKinnon.

Those are the only two options for the Vikings, I'd say. 

Why? Is he bad these days?

The Pats have a need at DT, is he worth a contract?

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Do you think that Levitre is likely? That offensive line looked like it struggled considerably without him in the lineup, or was that just my imagination? That's a steep price for a guard, but given the rising prices of interior offensive line, it's not egregious or anything. 

If they sign Andrew Norwell like they are trying to, I would be shocked to see Levitre stay. Norwell is like a younger, better version of Andy.

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

All of these guys won’t get cut. Probably not even half of them. More than likely just one or two. But the possibles

Brandon Carr

Jeremy Maclin

Eric Weddle 

Austin Howard

Danny Woodhead

Lardarius Webb

Definitely would be interested in bringing Maclin back to Philly if you guys release him, he'll work out in place of Torrey Smith IMO.

Chiefs have quite a few probables.

Alex Smith, if we aren't able to trade him, would likely be cut

Tamba Hali certainly should be, if he doesn't retire

Derrick Johnson, if he doesn't retire and doesn't accept another pay cut (he has a time or two before)

Dee Ford is a possibility, due to a mix of inconsistent play and injuries, particularly if we go that way in the draft again or Kpass looks ready

Darrelle Revis was probably a 1 year experiment

Could save up to about $45M in cap space next year from the above. Hali and Revis are basically just done, I'd say, and SHOULD retire, but if either doesn't I think they don't stay on the team regardless. Can't afford it. Smith still has value obviously, and I'm guessing we trade him to the highest bidder, whatever that winds up being, but if no one bites, he isn't worth his cost to us with Mahomes on the bench, so I think he's cut. DJ and Ford are less sure things. DJ showed down the stretch that he can still offer good play, leadership, and a presence in pass coverage in a part time role, but playing 40-50% of defensive snaps isn't worth $10M. He has taken team friendly pay cuts before, so if he wants to keep playing, I wouldn't be surprised if he did again. If he did, we'd certainly keep him. Dee Ford is just a matter of who you ask. Some are ready to move on, some still remember his 2016 performance when Houston was down as proof that he's worth more time. I'm on the fence. When drafted there was hope he could be a Freeney or Mathis style pass rusher, with a dangerous first step and closing speed, but a likely liability in run support and coverage. He's actually been far better in coverage than anyone anticipated, but he's also been far less effective as a pass rusher than hoped. He was supposed to allow us to move on from Hali, and he just never really played well enough consistently enough to make that decision comfortable.

Archived