Taking a Shot at My First Mock This Year

big9erfan

Before getting into the draft I have to talk about the two guys I want to sign in the offseason - along with Garappolo of course.  Trying to be wholly realistic here and not "buy" a whole team of FAs. 

1) First priority for me is pass rush. Improved pass rush will probably imporve our team more than anything else. I think Ziggy Ansah is the best, most-likely for us to sign guy available. I'm expecting at worst 8 - 10 sacks, probably 10-12, and possibly more.  Plus all the attention he'll be getting should boost the sack totals for Buckner and Thomas. 

2) Second is interior line.  I"m shooting for Justin Pugh.  Norwell and Richburg are the other potential targets, but I want Pugh because we have no backup at tackle and Pugh could fill in there if either Staley or Brown gets hurt. If we can't get Pugh then I'm tyring for Norwell. Otherwise Richburg - but then I'd have to change this drafti. So here goes

1 - Densel Ward. With pass rush and o-line addressed in FA, CB becomes number one priority for me. I've always like Ward and Jeremiah, whom I respect, has him as the top CB and a top 10 prospect on  his big board.

2 - Simmie Cobbs. Everybody here loves him so there's not much to say.  But I would take Equanimeous St Brown if he happened to last till our pick. I think he's going to turn out to be one of the best WRs coming out of this class.

3 - Brian O'Neill. OT might seem like a strange position to target this high. But Staley is getting older, Brown is in his contract year, and I don't think we have much behind them.  For this year I'd move Pugh over if necessary, but I think O'Neill has the kind of athletecism to shine in Shanny's offense. He moves really well in space almost Staley-like. A year of working on his boidy and his technique could turn him into a stud.

3 - Rashaad Penny. All I can say is that I'm sold.  Penny too should be a great fit for Shanny's offense, plus he can  catch out of the backfield.

4 - Mason Cole. Not sure he last this far, but I'm taking him if he does.  Versatile enough  to play T or G in  a pinch but I'm drafting him to be our future center.

Beyond these early rounders I'd consider doubling up on CB (would love to pick up Duke Dawson in the 5th), would happily take another shot at edge since Pita didn't show much, and would  like to pick up another ILB (Cichy from Wisconsin coming off an injury year would be a nice later round prospect)

5 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

If we had to go DB in the 1st, I would rather we go Jackson. But my real preference is Nelson, should he still be there for us to pick. This OL really needs some talent in the middle...especially if we keep Kilgore. 

Signing RIchburg instead of Pugh and then drafting Nelson would be the other way I thought of going.  I'd be happy if the team did that. I'm not sure Nelson will last till our spot though so I addressed G in FA and took a Center with decent potential a bit later. If I can get a good C or G in FA then I think I still prefer to go CB with the first pick. I went back and forth between Jackson and Ward.  I've seen  a bit of both of them. I think it came down to me thinking that Ward was the faster, quicker and more athletic of the two. Maybe after the combine I'll change my mind.

18 hours ago, oldman9er said:

I dunno enough about these dudes to applaud or boo... but I will always applaud the efforts. I'm good with your FA adds, and  I like your position focus. Maybe add a LB like Darius Leonard, from NC St. 

I actually had an earlier version that had an ILB in the thrid instead of O'Neill.  In the end I decided to hope for the best with Smith coming back from injury and taking a shot at a ILB with a low round pick.  Could happily live with doing it the other way around.  I'm more worried than most here are about what happens if either Staley or Brown gets hurt. Last year we played Beadles who was terrible and Magnuson - which shows how desperate we were since he's a G/C and was bad playing on the outside.  On top of that this is Brown's contract year and I'd rather groom a guy for a year to replace him if he decides to go elsewhere than  have to rely on getting a rookie next year that is good enouogh to start on day 1.

4 hours ago, mrscottso said:

I would love the free agent signings alone! I don't know much about all the draft prospects, (except a couple) but that looks good as well. Are we resigning Hyde? (Which I definitely want too)

I didn't try to go through all our FA moves. Just wanted to indicate signing Ansah and Pugh to help explain my draft picks. I left the Hyde question open.  For me it all depends on money. I think he's a decent back - average to average+. So I don't think he'll command a lot on the open market.  Also that means that if we can re-sign him for a reasonable price I'm good with that, and if not I'm OK with him leaving.  I'll bring in Penny and bring back Williams to battle it out with Hyde and Breida if he stays. If he leaves then maybe we sign some other vet RB to compete with Penny, Williams and Breida. Guice, Michel and Chubb would all be candidates for me if they lasted till our third round pick, but for this mock I'm assuming they all went before our pick.

Archived