free agent vs drafted corner

Pandomonium

New Starter at CB   

8 members have voted

1. 1. How would you prefer we acquire our new starting CB?

• via free agency, we have the dough, and there are some really good players available
    • via draft, There are some interesting prospects in this years draft
    • our starter is already on this roster, no need to go outside the house

4 hours ago, Forge said:

You get one of each. Free agent or trade to start, draft pick to develop and play sub packages

This is the best option, even if we draft a corner in the first he's not going to start right away. I would rather sign a corner and draft one in round 2-4 

4 minutes ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

I honestly don't think the issue is talent at CB.  It's inexperience and we could use a vet to help them along.

So you feel Dontae Johnson is talented? His poor play last year goes beyond inexperience. Even then, after 63 games in the NFL, his excuse shouldn't be inexperience, he's had plenty of chances to make and learn from his mistakes. Maybe it's coaching. Or maybe it's him not taking to the coaching well enough. Or it's just that he's not that talented.

And what's our depth there? Greg Mabin and Tyvis Powell? Leon Hall? I think our issue is very much talent. But I do agree, we need a veteran, not only to fix the CB position, but to help the secondary as a whole. If Eric Reid leaves, we'll only have young guys back there. The senior member of the group (not counting Dontae, who is in fact our longest tenured DB outside of Reid) will be Jimmie Ward, and he only played in 42 games. So I think we do need to get a veteran corner with starting experience, and a rookie who can come in and take his time like Spoon did last year. Depending on how the staff evaluates Mabin, maybe get another corner later in the draft.

A Rookie taking his time to develop like Ahkello did is why I think FA + Draft is the way to go. Even if we get one of the top guys like Ward/Jackson/Louisville CB he might not be ready until the middle of the season. Dip into the free agent pool and the draft and thats the ideal strategy. 

Bashaud Breeland is a name to watch. Trumaine Johnson too if he wants to come back home to NorCal. 

13 hours ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

I honestly don't think the issue is talent at CB.  It's inexperience and we could use a vet to help them along.

Not sure how you can say that. Williams is an okay slot corner, but nothing special. Witherspoon looks like he could be a pretty good starting corner, but after that, there's a whole lot of nothing. Dontae is just flat terrible and is a free agent unlikely to come back. Right now, I have to assume that Ward stays at safety. After that, it's guys like Leon Hall and a bunch of undrafted players. We could have the least talented corner unit in the league. The biggest issue our corners have right now is talent / depth. 

Archived