free agent vs drafted corner

Pandomonium

New Starter at CB   

8 members have voted

1. 1. How would you prefer we acquire our new starting CB?

• via free agency, we have the dough, and there are some really good players available
    • via draft, There are some interesting prospects in this years draft
    • our starter is already on this roster, no need to go outside the house

10 hours ago, big9erfan said:

If we go after a FA I kind of like Trumaine Johnson. He'a about as good anyone else available. The thing that tips it for me is we take away a valuable player from one of our division opponents.

you know, I completely forgot about Johnson. Yes he is a good player
but I don't think the rams will let him walk. I think they are going to pay him what he's worth

20 hours ago, Forge said:

Not sure how you can say that. Williams is an okay slot corner, but nothing special. Witherspoon looks like he could be a pretty good starting corner, but after that, there's a whole lot of nothing. Dontae is just flat terrible and is a free agent unlikely to come back. Right now, I have to assume that Ward stays at safety. After that, it's guys like Leon Hall and a bunch of undrafted players. We could have the least talented corner unit in the league. The biggest issue our corners have right now is talent / depth. 

i agree with just about everything you've said except the part about Williams. He hasn't made a bunch of splash plays this season but he has quietly played very well in the slot and isn't afraid to stick his head in the play to make tackles... some of them for loses or short gains that otherwise could be big gains.

https://overthecap.com/free-agency

Here is a comprehensive list of free agent CBs

of course there will be a few more available due to cap issues of other teams but this is a list of the scheduled free agents

who do you like and why?

(my bad you have to click on the "cb" icon underneath the bolded "free agency" heading a 4th of the way down the page and just above the listing)

4 minutes ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

To everyone using Dontae Johnson to tear down my point.  He isn't the only CB on the roster.  There is young talent there that can be helped with a vet who is a good locker room presence(IE no to Talib) and a pass rush.

Currently on the roster we have five guys listed as CB. Of those 5 Witherspoon and Williams seem to me sure locks to be here next year in the same role. Witherspoon as the starter with Williams as the Nickel. Then we have Leon Hall(old and probably not worth keeping around), Dontae Johnson(expiring contract and just not that good) and Greg Mabin(young undrafted rookie).

Then when we go the injured list we have Asa Jackson(five year vet who isn't all that inspiring). And finally on a futures contract we have undrafted rookie Channing Stribling. 

I dont see a whole lot talent there. Spoon is talented and should be back as a starter next year. Mabin and Stribling should in my eyes be battling for a roster spot with whoever we bring in as UDFA this year and then we have Williams who is a decent Nickle corner. Maybe you see more talent in this group of corner then i do.

1 hour ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

To everyone using Dontae Johnson to tear down my point.  He isn't the only CB on the roster.  There is young talent there that can be helped with a vet who is a good locker room presence(IE no to Talib) and a pass rush.

I mean...the rest of the guys at the position are 'Spoon and Williams, which again, Spoon looks good and Williams is okay, but then you have something called a Greg Mabin, a 480 year old Leon Hall, Asa Jackson, who we all couldn't wait to be rid of last pre-season...it's ugly. That's not a talented depth chart there. It's a bunch of undrafted free agents. People keep bringing up Johnson because he was the best out of the corners after spoon and williams, which is terrifying. 

1 hour ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

Name a talented corner we have not named Akhello Witherspoon?

6 hours ago, Forge said:

I mean...the rest of the guys at the position are 'Spoon and Williams, which again, Spoon looks good and Williams is okay, but then you have something called a Greg Mabin, a 480 year old Leon Hall, Asa Jackson, who we all couldn't wait to be rid of last pre-season...it's ugly. That's not a talented depth chart there. It's a bunch of undrafted free agents. People keep bringing up Johnson because he was the best out of the corners after spoon and williams, which is terrifying. 

Given Garnett coming back to help at the G position I think CB is the least talented position group on the team. That's why I took Ward in my first mock, and had us taking a shot at a second CB lower down in the draft.

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

Given Garnett coming back to help at the G position I think CB is the least talented position group on the team. That's why I took Ward in my first mock, and had us taking a shot at a second CB lower down in the draft.

I think I would be fine if we double dip in the draft, even if we add a big free agent. I would love to go into the season with Witherspoon, Williams, and 3 new bodies.

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I think I would be fine if we double dip in the draft, even if we add a big free agent. I would love to go into the season with Witherspoon, Williams, and 3 new bodies.

Yep, I'd be happy with that approach as well.  

Archived