Daniel Jeremiah's Top 50 Prospects for the 2018 draft

Iamcanadian

On 1/31/2018 at 6:07 AM, ttitansfan4life said:

The hype on Davenport has to stop....

Why? Have you watched him play? He's a beast. I know the competition he went against sucked, but he's more than just a big dude that can move well. He's not Tanoh Kpassagnon.

His bull rush is frightening. His level of violence is excellent. He simply needs to diversify his arsenal of pass rush moves and become a chase-you-down run defender. I'd like to see him develop a spin back inside and I want to see him chase more when he's on the backside of run plays. Those two things are projections, but I'm convinced a kid that talented will be able to figure it out.

10 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Why? Have you watched him play? He's a beast. I know the competition he went against sucked, but he's more than just a big dude that can move well. He's not Tanoh Kpassagnon.

His bull rush is frightening. His level of violence is excellent. He simply needs to diversify his arsenal of pass rush moves and become a chase-you-down run defender. I'd like to see him develop a spin back inside and I want to see him chase more when he's on the backside of run plays. Those two things are projections, but I'm convinced a kid that talented will be able to figure it out.

I have watched him play, otherwise the comment wouldn’t of been posted. He’s a very raw prospect who plays the poorest of competition. He had a solid senior bowl game but the top 10 stuff is beyond dumb. He’s a borderline 1st round guy. I know I’d be hesitant if I was the Titans at 25 especially if someone like Landry is sitting there.

4 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I have watched him play, otherwise the comment wouldn’t of been posted. He’s a very raw prospect who plays the poorest of competition. He had a solid senior bowl game but the top 10 stuff is beyond dumb. He’s a borderline 1st round guy. I know I’d be hesitant if I was the Titans at 25 especially if someone like Landry is sitting there.

That's nuts. I'd bet a lot of money he goes in the top 10.

On 2/2/2018 at 3:27 PM, BleedTheClock said:

That's nuts. I'd bet a lot of money he goes in the top 10.

I think I will wait to see more of him at the Combine now that the small college awe has worn off and he feels more comfortable playing against tougher competition. I believe he will have to show some improvement since the SEnior Bowl, to go top 10.

Josh Allen is in the same camp as QBs like Christian Hackenberg and Blaine Gabbert insomuch as they are all QBs who were grossly grossly overhyped for some reason, and I absolutely cannot figure out why.

I mean, there have been other QBs Ive disliked that Ive at least been able to understand why they might be ranked so highly, but these are 3 guys I cannot fathom.   Sure, they might have the look and the physical tools, but beyond that, what is it?     I understand liking the potential, but rankings shouldnt be based purely on that.   Nothing Allen has shown IMO makes him worth more than maybe a late 3rd, and as a Steeler fan, I wouldnt even really be happy seeing us draft him there.

In the right situation, I do think he could succeed, but would I bet a first rounder on him being the real deal?   Hell no.   And some people have him ranked top 10 and even top 5?    Laughable.   

11 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Josh Allen is in the same camp as QBs like Christian Hackenberg and Blaine Gabbert insomuch as they are all QBs who were grossly grossly overhyped for some reason, and I absolutely cannot figure out why.

I mean, there have been other QBs Ive disliked that Ive at least been able to understand why they might be ranked so highly, but these are 3 guys I cannot fathom.   Sure, they might have the look and the physical tools, but beyond that, what is it?     I understand liking the potential, but rankings shouldnt be based purely on that.   Nothing Allen has shown IMO makes him worth more than maybe a late 3rd, and as a Steeler fan, I wouldnt even really be happy seeing us draft him there.

In the right situation, I do think he could succeed, but would I bet a first rounder on him being the real deal?   Hell no.   And some people have him ranked top 10 and even top 5?    Laughable.   

I'm not a big Josh Allen fan by any stretch, but he's significantly better than the other two.

1. He's a much better athlete with much better size and arm strength.

2. He's a great leader.

3. Played in a pro style offense.

4. Made full field reads and routinely came off his #1 target

5. Great at keeping his eyes down the field and maneuvering in the pocket--the critical flaw of Gabbert.

He certainly could end up being a bust like those two, but not for the same reasons. His accuracy is very damning, but he's coming into the league with much more polish than the other two had.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'm not a big Josh Allen fan by any stretch, but he's significantly better than the other two.

1. He's a much better athlete with much better size and arm strength.

2. He's a great leader.

3. Played in a pro style offense.

4. Made full field reads and routinely came off his #1 target

5. Great at keeping his eyes down the field and maneuvering in the pocket--the critical flaw of Gabbert.

He certainly could end up being a bust like those two, but not for the same reasons. His accuracy is very damning, but he's coming into the league with much more polish than the other two had.

Fair enough.

I wasnt trying to imply they all had the same strengths and weaknesses, just that Allen fell in the same category of guys that baffle me in regards to how they are so highly rated.

And I do agree that Allen is a better prospect than both of them, but I still think its a joke he is considered a top 50 prospect, much less a top 10 prospect.   

On 1/31/2018 at 4:33 AM, VanS said:

Before the season he was projected as a top 5 pick.  He had shoulder surgery and came in out of shape.  I don't think a subpar year all of a sudden makes him less talented.  He simply had a bad year. 

The people down on Arden Key after a subpar junior year remind me of the people who were down on JuJu Smith-Schuster last year after he had a down junior year compared to his scintillating sophomore season.  Remember JuJu Smith-Schuster was projected as a high 1st round pick going into the 2016 college football season.  But he had a subpar season compared to his sophomore campaign and thus fell to the 2nd round.  And now after his rookie season he looks like the stud who everyone liked after his sophomore year.  Similarly, Arden Key had a monster sophomore year and had everyone loving him as a top 5 pick.  Now everyone is down on him because he had off-season surgery and never quite made it all the way back?  That makes no sense to me.

I still believe Arden Key is the same prospect he was after his amazing sophomore year.  He'll be a hell of a player in the NFL.  Simeon Rice 2.0 IMO.

People are down on Key mainly because he left the team and has many rumored off-field concerns. You seem completely unaware of this.

@VanS, your Simeon Rice comparison doesn't do it for me. Key is much lankier and faster than Rice was. Rice was a dominant pass rusher with multiple moves including a bull rush. Arden Key trying to bull rush reminds me of Tom Brady trying to catch wheel route passes. He simply can't handle it. I think Key could become a very good player because he has an unreal physical skill set, but he has a long way to go developmentally on the field. In addition to this, as @CalhounLambeau has said, he has some major off-field concerns. I am not taking him with a smile on my face unless he's my 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft. He's way too risky to be the "face of our 2018 draft class".

He's going to go in the 2nd round or later depending on what comes out of the interview process/background checks.

4 hours ago, CalhounLambeau said:

People are down on Key mainly because he left the team and has many rumored off-field concerns. You seem completely unaware of this.

I'm a fan of SEC football so I knew that he left the team and then rejoined them.  I don't know about the other off-field concerns.  I've just read a lot of people talking about the fact he was out of shape and his play this year was not as good as last year.  If the people down on him cited his off-field concerns, I wouldn't have made that post.  But I have seen many people cite his performance on the field as a junior as the reason he should no longer be a high 1st round pick.  And I think that is silly.

If you think Arden Key has serious off-field issues and that is why he should no longer be a 1st round pick, then fine.  But I haven't seen that as much as I've seen criticism of his play on the field this year.

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

@VanS, your Simeon Rice comparison doesn't do it for me. Key is much lankier and faster than Rice was. Rice was a dominant pass rusher with multiple moves including a bull rush. Arden Key trying to bull rush reminds me of Tom Brady trying to catch wheel route passes. He simply can't handle it. I think Key could become a very good player because he has an unreal physical skill set, but he has a long way to go developmentally on the field. In addition to this, as @CalhounLambeau has said, he has some major off-field concerns. I am not taking him with a smile on my face unless he's my 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft. He's way too risky to be the "face of our 2018 draft class".

He's going to go in the 2nd round or later depending on what comes out of the interview process/background checks.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.  I thought the Arden Key/Simeon Rice comp was one of the better ones I saw this year. 

Archived