The 2018 NFL Draft could be one of the greatest in NFL history

VanS

So I'm just started watching tape on this class and I continue to be blown away by the number of extremely talented players coming out this year.  I was excited about this year's class last year as well.  And I thought it had a chance to be all-time special.  But its surpassed even my expectations.  More top end talent has emerged as I've dug deeper and there is even more depth throughout.  We could look back at the 2018 draft in a few years like we look back at the 2011 draft right now and marvel at how many elite Pro-Bowl/All-Pro/Hall of Fame caliber players it produced.

This is the year you want to have a lot of picks in the draft IMO.  I think a couple of teams, if they they do it right, could set themselves up for a dynastic run over the next 4-5 years with the amount of talent available in this class.

Enjoy the process guys cause I doubt we see this much talent again in the draft for the next few years.

1.You've got alot of good QBs who could really be starting NFL QBs

2. You've got a loaded RB class

3. A ton of senior undervalued talent within the draft 

I Do think next year will be more top heavy in that first round especially on the defensive side that first round has some HOFmers in it that is a fact

but theres is a ton of 2nd-5th round talent here especially at the receiver position 

7 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Let's let this group of players play a game before we crown their behinds as anything.

7 hours ago, tom cody said:

I think there's lots of great talent available in the draft this year but let's wait until they have a season or 2 under their belts before it's crowned anything.

You can tell how talented a draft class is before they play a couple of years in the league.  Its pretty evident in the college tape.  Sure a few surprises always emerge and a few busts happen.  But more or less you can tell pretty early if the class if filled with a lot of talent or if it isn't.

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

I Do think next year will be more top heavy in that first round especially on the defensive side that first round has some HOFmers in it that is a fact

but theres is a ton of 2nd-5th round talent here especially at the receiver position 

I disagree.  Next year's draft only looks loaded at defensive tackle.  And only at the very top.  I haven't looked into the depth.  There is significantly less offensive talent in next year's draft.  And I'm not sure about the other positions defensively either.

The 2019 draft will be a significant step back from the 2017 and 2018 drafts IMO.

2 hours ago, LuckIsGOAT said:

This class is weaker then both 17 and 16

2017 and 2018 drafts are debatable.   I've compared them in the past to the 2010 and 2011 drafts.  While most will say the 2011 draft is better than 2010 because of how many Hall of Famers emerged from the 2011 draft class.  It is actually debatable because 2010 produced more pro-bowlers.   In the same fashion I expect the 2017 and 2018 to be debatable moving forward in terms of which one was actually more talented.  Both classes are loaded IMO.

However, I must disagree big time on the 2016 draft.  I don't find that class to be very talented at all.  Sure a couple of guys have had some nice starts to their careers.  And we'll have to see if they can continue it.  But I don't think the 2018 and 2016 drafts will be comparable at all.  2018 has significantly more talent at almost every position.

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

8 minutes ago, VanS said:

I disagree.  Next year's draft only looks loaded at defensive tackle.  And only at the very top.  I haven't looked into the depth.  There is significantly less offensive talent in next year's draft.  And I'm not sure about the other positions defensively either.

The 2019 draft will be a significant step back from the 2017 and 2018 drafts IMO.

you haven't looked into the draft but you know its a step back huh?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-draft-defensive-line-class-ed-oliver-dexter-lawrence-nick-bosa-rashan-gary/1s1bvmlxk9i3c17qnke3oz9ilp

Nick Bosa

Clennel Ferrelle

Austin Bryant 

Marlon Davidson

Ed Oliver

Dexter Lawrence 

Rashan Gary

Christian Wilkins

Dremont Jones

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt when you said you haven't looked into anything yet so Ima just give you a heads up 2019 will have HOF/multiple All Pro defensive lineman in that first round 

I don't really like this draft all that much. There is a lot of depth at multiple positions, but it lacks superstars outside of the QB's (which is always a crap shoot).

I like the runningback class, but it's not mind-blowing outside of Barkley. I like the WR class, but there are no legitimate #1 guys outside of maybe Calvin Ridley. I see a bunch of #2/slot guys. I don't think this is a great TE class. There are some solid ones, but no legit superstar. I like the OL class, but there aren't any sure-fire elite OT's like there often are. Orlando Brown is the best one, but I don't even know if I'd put him in the top 10. The DE class lacks a true superstar. Chubb is going to be a very solid player. Davenport has a great ceiling but has a lot of work to do. The next tier of DE's is located in the second round (Key, Landry, Armstrong, etc...) The DT class is good. Vea is a legit top 10 NT kind of selection and there are a lot of NT's and UT's behind him. It's an above average DT class. The OLB class is great. But there aren't any great ILB prospects. Some guys have potential, but I don't see any elite standout MLB prospects. The CB class is solid all-around with guys that have size, speed, man skills, zone skills, and ball skills. There's enough talent here to say it's above average. The FS class is putrid. I don't think Fitzpatrick is a true FS. The SS class is loaded. Significantly better than the FS class and one of the better one's I've seen in recent memory.

I don't hate the draft, but it's not one of the best of all-time. I think there will be a ton of starter pulled from the class, but it will lack all-pro's.

9 hours ago, brownie man said:

Excellent thought my draft of us drafting chark in the 4th is already obsolete

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

you haven't looked into the draft but you know its a step back huh?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-draft-defensive-line-class-ed-oliver-dexter-lawrence-nick-bosa-rashan-gary/1s1bvmlxk9i3c17qnke3oz9ilp

Nick Bosa

Clennel Ferrelle

Austin Bryant 

Marlon Davidson

Ed Oliver

Dexter Lawrence 

Rashan Gary

Christian Wilkins

Dremont Jones

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt when you said you haven't looked into anything yet so Ima just give you a heads up 2019 will have HOF/multiple All Pro defensive lineman in that first round 

I've looked into that draft.  I watch college football so I have a general idea of the top prospects in that class how they stack up.  I'm personally not impressed. 

Of the guys you named I'm only really high on Ed Oliver (reminds me of NFL Hall of Famer John Randle) and Dexter Lawrence (reminds me of 90s Raiders DT Darren Russell).  Clelin Ferrell reminds me of Greg Ellis.  Great physical specimen but I don't think he'll play up his body.  Bosa and Gary both look solid but not special.  Rashan Gary could be special if he was willing to play 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE.  But he's seem hell bent on being a 4-3 DE and I don't think he has the skill set to play that at a high level.

With that said, the d-line is strong next year.  I just don't see much beyond that.  Who are the standout QBs, RBs, and WRs?  Who are the standout CBs, LBs, and safeties?  Is the offensive line any good?

2019 draft has way more questions than answers.  One position group doesn't make it a great draft.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't really like this draft all that much. There is a lot of depth at multiple positions, but it lacks superstars outside of the QB's (which is always a crap shoot).

I like the runningback class, but it's not mind-blowing outside of Barkley. I like the WR class, but there are no legitimate #1 guys outside of maybe Calvin Ridley. I see a bunch of #2/slot guys. I don't think this is a great TE class. There are some solid ones, but no legit superstar. I like the OL class, but there aren't any sure-fire elite OT's like there often are. Orlando Brown is the best one, but I don't even know if I'd put him in the top 10. The DE class lacks a true superstar. Chubb is going to be a very solid player. Davenport has a great ceiling but has a lot of work to do. The next tier of DE's is located in the second round (Key, Landry, Armstrong, etc...) The DT class is good. Vea is a legit top 10 NT kind of selection and there are a lot of NT's and UT's behind him. It's an above average DT class. The OLB class is great. But there aren't any great ILB prospects. Some guys have potential, but I don't see any elite standout MLB prospects. The CB class is solid all-around with guys that have size, speed, man skills, zone skills, and ball skills. There's enough talent here to say it's above average. The FS class is putrid. I don't think Fitzpatrick is a true FS. The SS class is loaded. Significantly better than the FS class and one of the better one's I've seen in recent memory.

I don't hate the draft, but it's not one of the best of all-time. I think there will be a ton of starter pulled from the class, but it will lack all-pro's.

Couldn't disagree more.  This draft is loaded with Pro-Bowlers and All-Pros.  There are superstars at almost every position.  IMO this RB class is arguably the best we've ever seen.  I'm having a hard time keeping up with how many of them I think are gonna be stars and starters.  The wide receiver class is weak compared to many of the other positions but it does have a generational superstar in Antonio Callaway.  He's the second coming of Sterling Sharpe IMO.  The weakest position on offense might be the offensive line but players like Quenton Nelson and Isaiah Wynn look a future All-Pros.  On defense there are 3 superstar pass rushers.  Marcus Davenport looks like a clone of NFL Hall of Famer Jason Taylor.  Bradley Chubb reminds me of former FSU legend and Ravens All-Pro Peter Boulware.  While Arden Key looks like the second coming of Tampa Bay Buccaneers All-Pro Simeon Rice.   All 3 are superstar pass rushers in the NFL.  In the interior I like Vita Vea.  He reminds me of Haloti Ngata.  And Da'Ron Payne looks like the best interior defensive lineman to come out of Alabama since Marcel Dareus.  The linebacker position has some freaky athletes with all-world potential like Tremaine Edmunds.  The same is true for the secondary with the likes of Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick.

This is a LOADED draft class.

Here are my favorites currently at each position:

QB - Sam Darnold (USC), Josh Rosen (UCLA), Lamar Jackson (Louisville)

RB - Saquon Barkley (Penn State), Rashaad Penny (San Diego State), Ronald Jones II (USC), Mark Walton (Miami), Kalen Ballage (Arizona State), John Kelly (Tennessee)

WR - Antonio Callaway (Florida), Equanimeous St. Brown (Notre Dame), Anthony Miller (Memphis), James Washington (Oklahoma State)

OL - Quenton Nelson (Notre Dame), Isaiah Wynn (Georgia)

DE - Marcus Davenport (UTSA), Arden Key (LSU), Bradley Chubb (NC State)

DT - Vita Vea (Washington), Da'Ron Payne (Alabama), Harrison Phillips (Stanford)

LB - Tremaine Edmunds (Va-Tech), Harold Landry (Boston College), Darius Leonard (South Carolina State)

DB - Derwin James (Florida State), Minkah Fitzpatrick (Alabama), Marcus Allen (Penn State), Mike Hughes (UCF)

Archived