NFL to review catch rule (again)

Broncofan

O whooray. Because everytime the change it definitely has gotten better and not more murky and terrible. 

It needs to just be at the discretion of the ref basically. Have the general rule but give the ref some leeway since there isnt a way to make clear cut rules.

32 minutes ago, eagles101 said:

O whooray. Because everytime the change it definitely has gotten better and not more murky and terrible. 

It needs to just be at the discretion of the ref basically. Have the general rule but give the ref some leeway since there isnt a way to make clear cut rules.

Agreed, they need to redo the rule. However, I think making it the discretion of the individual ref would invite even more controversy.

28 minutes ago, jcvoodoo said:

Agreed, they need to redo the rule. However, I think making it the discretion of the individual ref would invite even more controversy.

O it definitely will. He problem is the nfl caring what facebook warriors complain about. Hey should focus on making the game smoother and having reviews for every catch trying to force fit rules into every catch makes the game hard to watch. They shoud let the refs have more leeway so they can see he difference between what these dumb precision rules say and the calvin johnson catch/no catch. 

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

It will also help if they review their rules for conclusive data to overturn the ruling on the field.  Not opinion.  Not I think this is what happen.  What is on tape has got to be definitive.

Right, only overturn the call on the field if the evidence is conclusive.  

The problem is that the rule as it is written can’t even be applied on review consistently.    

Hopefully any rule that involves reviewable plays has 3 elements:

1.  It makes sense.  

2.  It’s consistent with the other rules of the game. 

3.  It can be clearly applied on review.   

The problem with the current rule IMO is that it does not meet #2 or #3.   #2 isn’t met because if the player is a runner then extending the ball is very clearly a deliberate act.  To exclude it as a football act is just counter to how players act on the field. #3 (consistent application on review) isn’t being met not just this year but in years gone by.  

9 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

A catch is possession and a football move.  Period.  

Dez Bryant:  Catch

Jesse James:  Catch

Under the current rule neither is considered a football move.  Yet it’s clearly viewed as that when they are a runner (ball dead if you cross end zone by extending ball - remember that Dez didn’t cross the EZ lone).  

FWIW I agree with you on the conclusion but the issue is how the rules define a football move.  

34 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Possession and 2 feet. Pretty simple iyam

Edit: By possession I mean having a clear grasp of the ball

I'm game for this - keep it short and simple. If at any point you have clear grasp and two feet, it's a catch. If you're on the way down and the ball jostles around a bit, still a catch. If you have clear grasp on your feet but you hit the ground and roll around and the ball spurts out, still a catch (maybe a fumble).

Keep it simple.

28 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'm game for this - keep it short and simple. If at any point you have clear grasp and two feet, it's a catch. If you're on the way down and the ball jostles around a bit, still a catch. If you have clear grasp on your feet but you hit the ground and roll around and the ball spurts out, still a catch (maybe a fumble).

Keep it simple.

Yep, not complicated at all

Archived