Indians to Remove Chief Wahoo effective 2019

MWil23

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22255143/clevealdn-indians-removing-chief-wahoo-logo-uniforms

A lot of people have speculated this for a while now. I remember this debate in 1995.

I stuck this in the hot stove thread because this is gonna be a nightmare thread with the whole broflake brigade that doesn't comment on, care about, or watch baseball ever but is going to tell us that this is why the ratings are down.

That said, good job Cleveland.

EDIT:

Quick update: Meh job Cleveland. Better than nothing.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@MWil23 this statement definitely makes me think the MLB wants to get rid of it. But good luck getting fans to not do it any more. The worst thing you could do is tell them they can't.

Agreed, but they can stop passing out giant foam tomahawks and playing the FSU background music in key situations and TELEVISING it every half hour.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's way past time for Atlanta to follow suit with a much more offensive tradition:

The AHHHH, AHHH, AHHH, OOOOOH, OOOOH, OOOOOH Tomahawk Chop.

Let's be consistent here people.

It does need to go as well, but you always start with the most egregious things first (or at least you want to).  Even someone who likes Chief Wahoo should realize how offensive that racial caricature is.  

Just now, hrubes20 said:

It does need to go as well, but you always start with the most egregious things first (or at least you want to). 

I can't really speak about the history of Atlanta here.

Just now, hrubes20 said:

Even someone who likes Chief Wahoo should realize how offensive that racial caricature is.  

I agree.

What I don't agree with is the selective logic of things like this:

original_leprechaun.jpg

How is this possibly allowed? It's pretty offensive to be honest.

Or the Washington Native American slurs.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

How is this possibly allowed? It's pretty offensive to be honest.

I'm Irish, but I only know that because my dad's side of the family has told me and I can remember my grandfather saying "lad" a lot when I was a kid. I don't have any connection to real Irish culture because it just wasn't my family's style - we never did a traditional Irish breakfast on weekends, we didn't go through any of the history or Gaelic vs. Irish and what any of that means, on St. Patricks Day we did nothing, so when I went to college of course I got hammered like everyone else. There's not that emotional bond, so when I look at a Leprechaun fighting or see someone order an Irish Carbomb on St. Patricks Day while doing their best impression of a day-drinking alcoholic, it's dissociated from me in a way that might not be with other cultures.

Someone else could feel very differently about it, and that's fine with me. If you did any of that stuff in Ireland, good luck to you it's gonna be a rough day. But I think there are a lot of people from European families who lost tight culture bond with where they were from, so the outrage isn't as loud.

While the Fighting Irish is pretty ******* tasteless (and their mascot being a drunk leprechaun running around the sidelines doesn't help) we didn't wage an active genocide against the Irish and don't have their descendants and still living tribes look as we make money off a stereotype of them that was outdated when Buffalo Bill paraded Sitting Bull around as a sideshow attraction.

Baby steps.

As a human being but also as a history teacher, I totally understand all of this.

My point is that I have a problem with us as a society picking and choosing offensive stereotypes. Get rid of all of them then.

The fighting Irish is as offensive as it gets. Why not the public outcry? That’s all I’m saying.

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

My point is that I have a problem with us as a society picking and choosing offensive stereotypes.

Society picking and choosing is how culture works dude, and not just for what's offensive. That's why we have some religious holidays off of work and not others. That's why we wear blue jeans and not kilts. We just decided.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Society picking and choosing is how culture works dude, and not just for what's offensive. That's why we have some religious holidays off of work and not others. That's why we wear blue jeans and not kilts. We just decided.

And we chose WRONG!  Give me the freedom of a kilt over these leg dungeons!

Archived