(Poll) Quantifying the Emotional Immaturity of Baker Mayfield: Is it a Fatal Issue?

Mind Character

Why Should We Pass on Baker Mayfield?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Why Should We Pass on Baker Mayfield?

• 1.) There is no reason. We SHOULD take him #1 because he's a transformative leader and is the best QB in the draft. Off-field stuff isn't serious enough not to take him.
    • 2.) There are definitely some issues that worry me, but he's just too good to pass up. I'm a little concerned, but ultimately taking him over the others is the right decision.
    • 3.) We should pass on him for reasons purely related to how he plays on the field (he drops his eyes under inside pressure, his offensive scheme creates layups for him and doesn't make him operate under duress)
    • 4.) We should pass on him because of his emotional immaturity...we just can't take the risk after all this pain and suffering to be at number 1 finally. There are good and safe alternative options for us at #1 QB.
    • 5.) We should pass on him because of his emotional immaturity...and because of some concerns I have about his play

The Question: Given the pain and suffering of our franchise, and what we had to go through to get this number 1 pick in a good QB year, can we afford to take the risk on an emotionally immature, high emotional intelligence leadership skilled, amazingly talented QB (Baker Mayfield) when there are really good and safer alternative options for selection?

------------------------------------------------

The Debate:

Thought 1: Baker Mayfield is NOT Johnny Manziel, and it is foolish to say so. Baker has some immaturity issues for sure, but they are mostly harmless/misunderstood, due to his competitive nature, a strength to rally a locker room, and at worst things that he can grow from and do better at. Yeah, he might have to give the occasional apology press conference once or twice a season, but what he can offer on the field is so special that you can't pass that up. I don't think he'll repeat the mistakes of his past, and I don't think his emotional immaturity is symptomatic of a bigger problem. He's just young and a little immature, but he'll grow from that and be an amazing player in the league. He has the "it factor."

VS

Thought 2: Of course, some people are overexaggerating the similarities between Johhny Manziel and Baker Mayfied, and as a result end up making irrational arguments in support of that belief, but we shouldn't just breeze past the fact that there are also actual legitimate concerns with Baker regarding his emotional immaturity (e.g., yelling expletives and being physically aggressive at a female in the presence of Police officers, having to publicly apologize multiple times for not leading the organization appropriately, showing the inability to control emotions) and whether it is symptomatic of larger and more serious issues of emotional regulation, and whether or not he can be the face/leader of the franchise.  He gives multiple apology press conferences a year, saying he's sorry for this and that, and ultimately his great play on the field does not outweigh the potential risk of draft a player with such emotional immaturity and self-control issues, especially because there are great players available without those issues.

---------------------------------------------

Beyond issues of his height (which I think don't matter at all), and issues in his play stye (dropping his eyes on inside pressure which I think matters a lot), the debate will rage on regarding whether Baker Mayfield's emotional immaturity disqualifies him for the prized number 1 overall pick.

We should pass on him in favor of a dreamboat named Sam Darnold who makes straight men’s jeans tighten. Baker is a fine prospect in his own right though.

His personality issues are a concern, but I have I haven’t seen or heard of anything that would be a dealbreaker for me personally. In fact, the boy kinda reminds me of me. 

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We should pass on him in favor of a dreamboat named Sam Darnold who makes straight men’s jeans tighten. Baker is a fine prospect in his own right though.

His personality issues are a concern, but I have I haven’t seen or heard of anything that would be a dealbreaker for me personally. In fact, the boy kinda reminds me of me. 

I always knew you were a crotchgrabber.

Id take him number 1 if it weren't for Darnold. 

Id take Rosen number 1 if it weren't for Darnold or Baker. 

Id take Barkley number 1 i it weren't for those 3. 

they are all very good prospects. 

for me I am betting against Sam Danolds character and funky throwing motion is less of a risk than Bakers height and emotion/d-bagness. 

Cleveland can and most likely will be hell for a QB. I think Sam Darnold has a better shot going through it than Baker. 

Archived