Titans to hire Dean Pees as DC

-Hope-

i am pretty sure it came down to consecutive 4th quarter / last minute defense collapses the last two years in the last game of the season but as a Titans fan you probably know better.

probably the DC and his bland scheme has nothing to do with it, thanks for making me aware and enjoy your next DC!

42 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

i am pretty sure it came down to consecutive 4th quarter / last minute defense collapses the last two years in the last game of the season but as a Titans fan you probably know better.

probably the DC and his bland scheme has nothing to do with it, thanks for making me aware and enjoy your next DC!

Once again I don’t like the hire and have been against it for that reason but blaming his defense for every loss in those seasons is a joke. The Ravens offense has been pathetic for a long time but I guess they have nothing to do with it.... It works both ways.

2 hours ago, berlin calling said:

sorry Titans fans, no more playoffs for you.

I've never undestood how Pees became the villain for Ravens fans, their offense is almost always worse than their defense, but Pees is always the go-to scapegoat.

In his six years with Baltimore, the defense averaged 11th in PPG, the offense averaged 17th.

I'm not saying he's great, I didn't care for him when he was in NE, but he's not incompetent, and he's certainly not the only thing that's cost the Ravens success.

21 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

I've never undestood how Pees became the villain for Ravens fans, their offense is almost always worse than their defense, but Pees is always the go-to scapegoat.

In his six years with Baltimore, the defense averaged 11th in PPG, the offense averaged 17th.

I'm not saying he's great, I didn't care for him when he was in NE, but he's not incompetent, and he's certainly not the only thing that's cost the Ravens success.

Well the thing is, when looking at it from the outside and then glancing at the statistics, Dean Pees defense never looks bad and Ravens fans look spoiled when complaining about a top 10 statistical defense.

Lets just say, that we poured close to 70-80 percent of our ressources cap and draft wise in to Pees offense, and we never got anything remotely close to a complete defense. Two of the most noticeable things have been Pees inability to call plays to close the game and to adjust when losing key players.

When Pees defense lose Suggs, Brandon Williams, Jimmy Smith, it basically falls apart. He lost Brandon Williams for a few games this year and teams ran all over us. Its just one example of many.

Basically, Ravens have an idea that we win with defense and then Flacco get a 3. round tight end, a 4-5 round oline and maybe a runningback, and a 6-7 round wide receiver and an FA pickup at wide receiver. The rest goes to the defense, also the FA dollars.

Unfortunately, we have been in a position for two years in a row, where our offense struggled but it makes sense hence the lack of talent + injuries, while Pees have had much more to work with and when it mattered the most, he didn't came through.

9 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

- Because he's never elevated the defense.  If anything, it has continually underperformed compared to the supposed talent available
- Because he rarely, if ever, has taken accountability for the poor performance of the defense.  It has always been "The players just need to execute". 
- He's never accepted that allowing WRs 7 yard cushions on 3rd & 4 is not an execution problem, but a play design problem, despite it happening frequently
- He almost never rotates players, especially defensive lineman, culminating in the completely expected result of the defense tiring and then not being able to execute late in games
- His "exotic defenses" usually entail just sending extra guys running in a straight line at the QB - no stunts, no zone blitzes etc to get favourable match-ups
- He sets up his defense to stop the run first and foremost, despite the fact that the vast majority of teams have primarily passing offenses
- He struggles to adapt his defense to the players available despite having players that would excel in particular roles (such as Tony Jefferson repeatedly playing as a deep safety, while playing a guy who has essentially been a core special teamer for years in Anthony Levine in a role similar to the one Jefferson excelled at in Arizona) 
- HIs defenses frequently struggle when missing one good player such as the games where the defense got run over because Brandon Williams wasn't playing, despite the fact that the D is setup to stop the run.  This links back to his lack of adaptability - he can't cover for injuries

As for why the offense doesn't get blamed - it does.  You only need to look at the discussions about Flacco had in Ravens sub-forum or in Gen to see that.  But when you look at the offensive depth chart, its hard to expect anything better than mediocrity, so it generally gets a lesser share in the blame. 

When the defense is repeatedly built up as a potential elite unit by the coaches and FO staff, and it is repeatedly invested in at the expense of the offense, its hard not to expect that the defense would actually perform in the clutch.

I hope for the sake of Titans fans that I, and all the Ravens fans that have been disparaging of Pees, are wrong and that he coordinates are good defense for you guys.  But I won't be holding by breath that it'll happen.

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

- He's never accepted that allowing WRs 7 yard cushions on 3rd & 4 is not an execution problem, but a play design problem, despite it happening frequently

This aspect is 100% his.  He loves those cushions.  Don't ever draft/sign a corner that's better in press coverage...

12 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

The most unqualified head coach of the last decade hires his former coach. Color me shocked 

So I guess that retirement was just a polite firing

in today's politically correct world, nobody gets fired. they also don't die or become poor.

nowadays you "agree to part ways", or you "expire" or you "live under your means". 

anyways, I hate this hire for Tennessee and as of right now, I think they are going in the wrong direction.

oops...meant "they are going in a direction that is not ideal for future success"!

8 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I know Pees has his issues, but that looks far more like the players messing up rather than him.

It's 4th and 12, and Dean Pees called a double-A gap fake blitz zone coverage and then had Eric Weddle just kind of roaming around nowhere in the middle of the field. That was the play he drew up on 4th and 12 to send us to the playoffs.

Some people saying Pees sucks. Some saying the Ravens defense isn’t that talented. Neither side is wrong. 

If you need super complex blitzes because your players can’t win 1-on-1s that’s because your players aren’t that great. If Matt freakin Elam ends up in the slot against Chris Hogan with no safety that’s the coordinators fault. Big runs from missed tackles, players fault. If the announcers can circle a matchup on TV before that matchup ends in homerun that keeps you out the playoffs, coordinators fault. Both sides can be right here 

10 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

It's 4th and 12, and Dean Pees called a double-A gap fake blitz zone coverage and then had Eric Weddle just kind of roaming around nowhere in the middle of the field. That was the play he drew up on 4th and 12 to send us to the playoffs.

To be fair, there are plenty who suggest it was Weddle who was somewhat out of position or didn't play his assignment properly. Then, it is Pees who dials up a play that isn't executed very well for whatever reason. Why he on a play like that want the safety to run away from the play into a zone with his back turned and have his most experienced player cover underneath instead of facing the play is what makes many of us doubt the play.

The way we question Pees playcalling is the same reason we question Steve Sarkisian, when he comes up with that play from Ryan to Jones on a key 4. down play in the red zone.

For all its worth, Pees isn't the worst coordinator in the league. But his defense is more of the kind that looks good on paper than it is effective and one which wins games.

Archived