Blake Bortles undergoes wrist surgery

.Buzz

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

How does this affect the fifth year option?

Based on my understanding of how it worked previous years, it’s only guaranteed if the injury happens in the 4th year (it didn’t) and sidelines the player for the 5th year (it won’t).

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So if the injury was from 2016 then we aren't on the hook for it right?

Based on the interpretations of the rule that I have seen before, correct. The only way it would have been guaranteed is if he would have potentially missed time next season from an injury caused in the 2017 season/postseason.

It sounds like the option thing isn't an issue...but i'm still trying to unpack exactly what this means for my confidence in Bortles as QB next year.

On the one hand...if it was a nagging injury that was part of why he threw some many ugly duck passes, maybe he'll actually be less bad at throwing the football next year?

On the other hand...any time a QB is having surgery on their throwing arm/hand, you have to at least worry a little bit about it right?  However "minor" it may appear to be?

Also comes to mind the way Bortles has basically been on a pitch count here for years.  He's not a natural football thrower and it always begged the question for me...how durable is his arm going to be longer-term?  Shorter-term, we always saw what happens when Bortles is asked to throw the ball around too much, and it's bad.  But now...is this surgery going to remedy that issue to an extent, or is this just repairing damage done because of or as part of those mechanical issues that have plagued him as a football thrower?

What does an offseason surgery to his throwing wrist mean for his mechanics?  Are we going to get a better Bortles, or what seems more likely to me...a Bortles who is back again at square one in trying to repair and re-learn those things...now with 100% more wrist rehab to get in the way.

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

It sounds like the option thing isn't an issue...but i'm still trying to unpack exactly what this means for my confidence in Bortles as QB next year.

On the one hand...if it was a nagging injury that was part of why he threw some many ugly duck passes, maybe he'll actually be less bad at throwing the football next year?

On the other hand...any time a QB is having surgery on their throwing arm/hand, you have to at least worry a little bit about it right?  However "minor" it may appear to be?

Also comes to mind the way Bortles has basically been on a pitch count here for years.  He's not a natural football thrower and it always begged the question for me...how durable is his arm going to be longer-term?  Shorter-term, we always saw what happens when Bortles is asked to throw the ball around too much, and it's bad.  But now...is this surgery going to remedy that issue to an extent, or is this just repairing damage done because of or as part of those mechanical issues that have plagued him as a football thrower?

What does an offseason surgery to his throwing wrist mean for his mechanics?  Are we going to get a better Bortles, or what seems more likely to me...a Bortles who is back again at square one in trying to repair and re-learn those things...now with 100% more wrist rehab to get in the way.

He is going to California this off-season again. 

Archived