OC Matt Lafleur hired by Titans in same position

yoinesh123

1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

And Goff has another QB coach to work with lol He's got McVay so I'm not worried, but I want the kid to have some continuity.  

Yes I agree. Obviously, we're not worried about the play calling, but I think LaFleur had a big part in Goff's development. I really hope that this doesn't stunt his growth or even worse, lead to a regression.

I didn't even know that teams could hire a coordinator from another team for the same position. I thought it had to be a promotion if hiring from another team.

1 hour ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Yes I agree. Obviously, we're not worried about the play calling, but I think LaFleur had a big part in Goff's development. I really hope that this doesn't stunt his growth or even worse, lead to a regression.

I didn't even know that teams could hire a coordinator from another team for the same position. I thought it had to be a promotion if hiring from another team.

I give McVay a ton of credit. If he wanted to, he could have blocked the hire since it’s technically a lateral move. Huge props to McVay for letting him leave and have an opportunity to truly run an offense.

3 hours ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Team could have blocked it but opted not to. 

We may need to bring in someone to work with Goff. Lefleur was basically a QB coach, but it did take some pressure off McVay. But maybe this is where the Jedd Fisch comes in. 

Any OCs in the market you guys think we could bring in? 

5 hours ago, RamRod said:

Damn ! When was the last time a TE coach was in charge of the pass game ? erghhh 

And instead of having 1 OC we have 2 coach for run and passing game ? 

But i can trust McVay after the turnaround this year

27 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I'm surprised you guys even had an OC given McVay and his control over the offense. Figured he'd go the Shanny route and just not have one. 

For last year it made perfect sense. McVay has enough on his plate being a rookie HC and installing a new offense. It allowed him to have two good QB coaches to help Goff. Now with a year under his belt and Goff a year in the system that’s lessened a lot. 

2 hours ago, Flounch said:

Damn ! When was the last time a TE coach was in charge of the pass game ? erghhh 

But the difference here is McVay > Fisher 

3 hours ago, Flounch said:

Funny enough McVay went from TE coach of the Redskins to OC.

3 hours ago, Flounch said:

McVay himself.  Rob Chudzinski and when he had talent his offenses were just fine.

Waldron is McVay's boy and his #2.  His wasn't so much a nepotism hire as it was a guy who he trusted and had worked with intimately for a while in Washington.  Translation: He and McVay are on the same page with regard to the passing system they want to run, so this actually helps minimize transition hangover and encourage continuity.

The reason for not having 1 OC not being a concern is McVay is still calling the plays - so as long as Kromer and Waldron are on the same page (and there's more reason to believe they would be considering that they were both on the staff last season versus someone new being brought in) they're going to do collectively what any single OC would do in terms of organizing training and practices and film study, and McVay will oversee as a supervisor who ultimately holds the play-sheet.

This really isn't as uncommon in football as some people may want to think it is.

Archived