OC Matt Lafleur hired by Titans in same position

yoinesh123

So I get that we won't be hiring a new OC and going with this duo of coaches splitting the OC duties behind McVay. But doesn't it make sense bringing in someone to work with Goff? We lost both of the two main assistants that worked with him last year. I understand that continuity is an issue, but a reliable QB coach to help him keep evolving sounds useful to me. Don't want to see McVay getting overwhelmed in year two. 

9 hours ago, Fragafootball said:

So I get that we won't be hiring a new OC and going with this duo of coaches splitting the OC duties behind McVay. But doesn't it make sense bringing in someone to work with Goff? We lost both of the two main assistants that worked with him last year. I understand that continuity is an issue, but a reliable QB coach to help him keep evolving sounds useful to me. Don't want to see McVay getting overwhelmed in year two. 

We brought in Jedd Fisch.

4 hours ago, Fragafootball said:

I know, but are we confident he's gonna be Jared's QB mentor? He basically had 2 QB coaches and a HC mentoring him last year.

what do you think of Fisch? I don't really have an opinion of him 

Fisch has four prior gigs as QB or Assistant QB coach, including under Jim Harbaugh (a generally-accepted QB guru), Brian Billick (who was underrated in terms of offensive prowess - I don't remember it being his fault he was saddled with trying to make something out of Kyle Boller), and as - albeit for only two games - a HC.

LaFleur and Olsen cleaned up a lot of Goff's technical flaws last season; now is the point where you move onto his mental game (decision-making, audibles - which he's already started to work on, further independence from McVay with regard to last minute playcalling), which Fisch is quite capable of.  And Olsen direct replacement is Zac Taylor who is a former QB and has prior experience as a QB coach to the extent it earned him a promotion to take on OC duties as well as working with the QB's.

Archived