Ant-Man and the Wasp (July 2018)

vike daddy

55 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It was OK.   Nothing awful - but also nothing that was that memorable, other than Peña's comedy, which was a highlight.   Ghost was actually a very interesting character, but very underutilized.  Since this is the spoiler-free thread, I'll leave it at that.   

I get that this was probably meant to be comedy-light to get over the heaviness of BP & Infinity Wars, but the danger is that it's also incredibly disposable, and little to remember or stand out by.   The comedy was trope-y, in contrast to the greatness of Ragnarok.  Again, no spoilers, but even the post-credits scenes were extremely vanilla. 

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't Thor: Dark World levels of awful, but it was pretty much paint-by-numbers.    In a lot of ways, in a vacuum as a standalone movie on its merits alone, it's the MCU equivalent of Solo - serviceable, few complaints, but nothing very memorable (if it wasn't in the MCU, I suspect it wouldn't enjoy nearly as much success as it will, given where it's landing right now).  Unlike Solo, however, who has more going against it (being a prequel, and let's face it, SW cinematic universe mojo post TLJ nowhere near what the MCU is enjoying right now), I suspect it will fare decently in the box office, which should keep the MCU momentum going into Phase 4.  

I'd take Ant-Man and the Wasp's comedy over the suspense/stakes killing jokes in Ragnarok all day.

I saw it last night, it was pretty good. Well fleshed-out story and pacing, liked the new characters, action scenes were better than the first, oh, and I loved how we finally got to see Giant Man in action (and no, that's not a spoiler for anyone who's seen the trailers). All-in-all, I actually liked it better than the first one.

8/10.

Archived