My Mock Offseason - Edmunds or Smith?

NJniners

My first try at a Mock offseason for our Niners.

Sign Jimmy G to a big deal

Tag Hyde, tell him to bulk back up. Was so much more effective his first few years when he was 10-20 pounds bulkier. Its not the system its that i think Kelly or Tomsula wanted him leaner but hes better bulky.

Resign Reid, let him compete with Coyle or whoever for the third LB spot (and emergency Safety).

Resign Kilgore.

Sign Landry.

Trade/Release Armstead, Dontae Johnson, and Bourne and a few others.

Start Colbert and Tartt at safety, with Ward and Meeks at corner, Witherspoon as 3rd corner.

Draft:

Rd1: Tremaine Edmunds

Rd2: Quenton Meeks

Rd3: Duke Eijofor

Rd3: A guard (Dont know much about the guards in this draft).

Super Bowl here we come!

Some would say we should trade Armstead...I like depth on the DL, myself so I would not. So I have no issue with you there. But let Bourne walk? A young, promising WR who already knows the system? Not too keen on that one. Don't mind resigning Reid...kind of 'meh' on Kilgore. It better be for a low price.

FA: Not certain Landry gives us anything we don't already have. I would go after Ansah or Lawrence to improve the pass rush.

I have no trouble at all with who you picked in the 1st two rounds of the draft. My personal preference would be to focus on the OL, but I like the talent you chose. Edmunds and Meeks should be very solid and perhaps very good impact players.

Personally i dont think OLine is a giant issue. I think a quality Guard is the only thing thats really important. Staley and Brown at Tackle are very good. Kilgore is maybe a bit below league average but hes good enough for now. And Garnett i have high hopes for.

I say we should address the offense mainly by resigning the quality guys we have and through Free Agency, and go all Defense for the first 2-3 rounds of the Draft.

Edmunds is almost a sure fire hit. Hes a plug and play inside linebacker. He already has the perfect size, build, and vision to succeed in the NFL. If Edmunds-Foster could become even half as good as Willis-Bowman, then we have something special at LB for years to come.  

Then in the second round i like Isaiah Oliver and Quenton Meeks. Dont care which, think both will be better than Josh Jackson (who i dont see the talent and flexibility in) and Denzel Ward (who i believe is honestly just too small, will get picked on by bigger WRs and TEs). But since Oliver will probably be gone  by then, then lets go Meeks, who is also the more physical of the two (again, reminding us of the good ol' days).

Landry is not a must considering we're gettint Garcon back. But Garcon is also age wise gonna be slowing down soon. A little star power like Landry never hurts. Of course, if hes extremely expensive, then i would maybe rather go for a cheaper, bigger red zone threat like Eifert?

And ive always been a fan of Hyde. And his first 2 1/2 years he looked like he was gonna be a superstar. Then he leaned down and it all went to crap. Bulk back up and i think our RB of the future, as hes still young, is already here.

17 minutes ago, NJniners said:

Personally i dont think OLine is a giant issue. I think a quality Guard is the only thing thats really important. Staley and Brown at Tackle are very good. Kilgore is maybe a bit below league average but hes good enough for now. And Garnett i have high hopes for.

I say we should address the offense mainly by resigning the quality guys we have and through Free Agency, and go all Defense for the first 2-3 rounds of the Draft.

Edmunds is almost a sure fire hit. Hes a plug and play inside linebacker. He already has the perfect size, build, and vision to succeed in the NFL. If Edmunds-Foster could become even half as good as Willis-Bowman, then we have something special at LB for years to come.  

Then in the second round i like Isaiah Oliver and Quenton Meeks. Dont care which, think both will be better than Josh Jackson (who i dont see the talent and flexibility in) and Denzel Ward (who i believe is honestly just too small, will get picked on by bigger WRs and TEs). But since Oliver will probably be gone  by then, then lets go Meeks, who is also the more physical of the two (again, reminding us of the good ol' days).

Landry is not a must considering we're gettint Garcon back. But Garcon is also age wise gonna be slowing down soon. A little star power like Landry never hurts. Of course, if hes extremely expensive, then i would maybe rather go for a cheaper, bigger red zone threat like Eifert?

And ive always been a fan of Hyde. And his first 2 1/2 years he looked like he was gonna be a superstar. Then he leaned down and it all went to crap. Bulk back up and i think our RB of the future, as hes still young, is already here.

We have some vastly different views on football lol. I like it. 

1 hour ago, NJniners said:

I disagree with the entirety of this paragraph. The only time he ever looked like a budding superstar was in one MNF game against Minnesota to open the season. He got leaner to be a bigger factor in this offense (which isn't going anywhere). And he'll turn 28 two weeks into next season, which isn't young for a RB. It's generally one of their last prime years (of which. Hyde should be in despite no big rushing season in his career).

To make matters worse, Hyde has rarely been substantially better than his backups, which have essentially been UDFAs and career journeymen. This year, Breida out-performed him on a per-touch basis.

I like most of the rest of your offseason enough, but there's no need to franchise Hyde, or really even a need to bring him back. I'm perfectly fine picking up a RB somewhere in the rest of your draft.

Didnt Hyde have one of the best YAC, and YPC in the league the first two years? He also in his second year was just shy of 1000 yards even after missing a few games. Maybe it has something to do with all the outside runs we run, but Hyde leaning down was the worst thing he couldve done. Bulk back up and run to his strengths, use him basically as a bulldozer and Breida as the outside guy, similar to Freeman and Coleman, and we could have something here. Theres no RB drafted after the first three rounds that will have more of an impact than Hyde. Ive been a fan of his since day one and just cant stand that he leaned down. But my best guess is that hes probably not gonna be resigned anyways, but if it was me i would. Ok even if he is at this stage of his career not a Top 10 RB, hes still average at worst. So keep him and think about bigger problems.

OL: Staley-Garnett-Kilgore-???-Brown

WR: Garcon-Goodwin-Taylor-Landry/Eifert

QB/RB: Garoppolo-Hyde (Fullback Juscyzk)

DL: Eijofor-Dumervil/DJJ-Buckner-Thomas

LB: Edmunds-Foster-Reid

CB/S: Meeks-Colbert-Tartt-Ward (Nickle Witherspoon)

This is what im looking for.

28 minutes ago, NJniners said:

Bulk back up and run to his strengths, use him basically as a bulldozer

He was never really a good bulldozer, though. He has Boobie-Dixonitis... he dances just a little too much to be a good short yardage guy. Maybe not dance.. he has too many wasted steps, he often just doesn't hit the hole as hard as he should. I think he's just not consistent enough to be a feature back, personally. He has one or two great games at the beginning of the year, which makes his stats look great at the end of the year, but by the middle of the year, he's mostly just average. Never a bad player, but if you only watch the first five weeks of any of his seasons, you'd think he's a superstar, which he simply isn't. 

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

He was never really a good bulldozer, though. He has Boobie-Dixonitis... he dances just a little too much to be a good short yardage guy. Maybe not dance.. he has too many wasted steps, he often just doesn't hit the hole as hard as he should. I think he's just not consistent enough to be a feature back, personally. He has one or two great games at the beginning of the year, which makes his stats look great at the end of the year, but by the middle of the year, he's mostly just average. Never a bad player, but if you only watch the first five weeks of any of his seasons, you'd think he's a superstar, which he simply isn't. 

Not only that, but this was by far the healthiest he has been in his career for a season...that could be due to him leaning out, so i"m not sure that bulking back up, taking away the minor increase in explosion he found and potentially opening up the injury issues again, would be the best thing. 

Who do you guys actually rate higher...Edmunds or Roquan Smith? I like Smiths speed but feel like he might get pushed around a bit being only 230ish. Edmunds is even bigger than Bow or Willis were (i think), but is he fast enough?

5 hours ago, NJniners said:

Who do you guys actually rate higher...Edmunds or Roquan Smith? I like Smiths speed but feel like he might get pushed around a bit being only 230ish. Edmunds is even bigger than Bow or Willis were (i think), but is he fast enough?

I need to watch more of Edmunds, but he seems like he’d be a fit at SAM for us and I love his athleticism and length.

5 hours ago, NJniners said:

When Shanny was at Atlanta all their LBs were super fast. Having said that I have no idea how fast Edmunds is; plus we really need an outside LB more than an inside LB.

What about resigning Reid or tagging him, just to trade him for Martavis Bryant. The Steelers could use a safety. Or what someone else mentioned, trading Armstead for AJ Green. Either one would be great. Both true redzone threats, big bodies receivers with great ball skills. Exactly what we need. Oh my, Jimmy G to AJ Green would be magical.

1 minute ago, NJniners said:

What about resigning Reid or tagging him, just to trade him for Martavis Bryant. The Steelers could use a safety. Or what someone else mentioned, trading Armstead for AJ Green. Either one would be great. Both true redzone threats, big bodies receivers with great ball skills. Exactly what we need. Oh my, Jimmy G to AJ Green would be magical.

I think it's unlikely that the Steelers trade Bryant, and those type of situations, tagging to trade, rarely happens. 

Archived