My Mock Offseason - Edmunds or Smith?

NJniners

On 2/6/2018 at 8:21 PM, big9erfan said:

When Shanny was at Atlanta all their LBs were super fast. Having said that I have no idea how fast Edmunds is; plus we really need an outside LB more than an inside LB.

Edmunds has elite athleticism for his size. He can absolutely zip all over the field. Smith is fast but as far as size to speed Edmund beats him by a country mile.

47 minutes ago, Geek said:

Edmunds has elite athleticism for his size. He can absolutely zip all over the field. Smith is fast but as far as size to speed Edmund beats him by a country mile.

Edmunds is also longer, younger, probably more position versatile (I think Smith is locked in at WILL). The thing about Edmunds that is tricky as that his instincts / awareness kind of suck lol. 

50 minutes ago, Forge said:

Edmunds is also longer, younger, probably more position versatile (I think Smith is locked in at WILL). The thing about Edmunds that is tricky as that his instincts / awareness kind of suck lol. 

Agreed. Although at 19 can you really blame him? I've never seen a linebacker have elite or even above average instincts at that age. More experience and snaps should remedy that issue after a few season. If you think the coaching staff can develop those instincts then your looking at a perennial all pro and potential defensive MVP player year in and year out. His ceiling is really high.

Just now, Geek said:

Agreed. Although at 19 can you really blame him? I've never seen a linebacker have elite or even above average instincts at that age. More experience and snaps should remedy that issue after a few season. If you think the coaching staff can develop those instincts then your looking at a perennial all pro and potential defensive MVP player year in and year out. His ceiling is really high.

I'm hoping that it's just age as well. I mean, he has a brother who plays, a father who played...I'm hoping that how much he's been around the game, it really clicks the more he plays. I still like him as a SAM, blitzing / covering, but he may have the chance to be the type of SAM you can leave on the field all three downs. 

Just now, Forge said:

I'm hoping that it's just age as well. I mean, he has a brother who plays, a father who played...I'm hoping that how much he's been around the game, it really clicks the more he plays. I still like him as a SAM, blitzing / covering, but he may have the chance to be the type of SAM you can leave on the field all three downs. 

Yea either SAM or MIKE would be a good fit for him. I doubt the coaching staff would play him at MIKE though because it really seems that they like Foster there. I would prefer that Foster played WILL and Edmunds MIKE and then they shift to MIKE and SAM when needed personally. Edmunds doesn't really have any pass rush moves yet but he was making a killing kick other guys ***** with pure athleticism in college,so it's definitely some that he could do at the NFL level with some coaching. I really can't wait to see him at the combine in a few weeks.

19 hours ago, NJniners said:

What about resigning Reid or tagging him, just to trade him for Martavis Bryant. The Steelers could use a safety. Or what someone else mentioned, trading Armstead for AJ Green. Either one would be great. Both true redzone threats, big bodies receivers with great ball skills. Exactly what we need. Oh my, Jimmy G to AJ Green would be magical.

Who mentioned that?! Anyone who thinks we could get Green for Armstead has a really good imagination...because that's not going to happen in the real world. I think someone may be overvaluing Armstead. I like him too, but there is no way we could get Green for him.

18 hours ago, Geek said:

I'm not really sure what this means... He is fast for how big he is? Smith is blazing fast no ifs, ands, or buts; and to pair that on with elite instincts like he has? He is a fantastic player.

I don't know Edmunds at all really, so I wont comment there but having watched Smith for a couple years who ever gets him is getting a superstar.

10 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

I'm not really sure what this means... He is fast for how big he is? Smith is blazing fast no ifs, ands, or buts; and to pair that on with elite instincts like he has? He is a fantastic player.

I don't know Edmunds at all really, so I wont comment there but having watched Smith for a couple years who ever gets him is getting a superstar.

Edmunds is very fast for his size is what I'm trying to say. Smith is extremely fast and probably faster then Edmunds but since Edmunds is quite a lot bigger it's a lot more impressive. Don't get me wrong I love Smith too, I think he can be a perennial pro-bowler, but I think that Edmunds has a higher ceiling and a better scheme fit for us than Smith is.

Archived