Forge's TCMD - 49ers

Forge

So I'm the GM for the 49ers on the total control mock draft that we run every year. For those unaware, it's a complete and total mock off season (free agency, trades, draft, etc). Decided to put this up on the forum to maybe get some thoughts here and there, track progress / moves / picks. Right now, we haven't actually started yet, so it's a lot of initial trade talks and the like. 

I haven't done much; I've put Armstead up on the trade block and gotten quite a few interesting looks. I think it's likely that I'll move him. I didn' tlike his fit last year and traded him in most drafts I did, and I still don't view him as an ideal fit in here, so very likely that I'll deal him again. I won't lowball it though, if I don't get an offer I like, I'll hold on to him; if nothing else, it gives us a pretty deep defensive front. 

9 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

If you can get a player who fits in return for him, and maybe a pick flip, then it'd be worth it, I think. Good luck with your total control, you tyrant!

Yeah, the info that I have put out is that I would really prefer a player over a pick in return for Armstead. I Don't know why i feel that way, just do. Flipping picks can be hard - everyone wants to trade down in this thing all the time, so if you are able to move down, it's almost always at a ridiculously low price coming back. 

Little bump here as people have been starting to put up their trade blocks. Here are some of the notable pieces available that may be of interest to us, so anyone with an opinion can chime in. 

AZ - Mike Iupati, G (No compensation information noted) - obviously we need a guard, but I'm super concerned about his run of injuries. I think his best days may be gone. 

CHI - Kyle Long, G (picks or players) - same thing here. we need a guard, Long has a disconcerting history of injuries the last two years and is coming off a neck surgery now. I think that's a pass. 

Cincinnati has some really interesting names available in AJ Green, Gio Bernard, Joe Mixon and Dre Kirkpatrick available. I've contacted their GM and his needs don't appear to quite match up with ours, and we don't have a lot of players worthwhile to trade, though I won't lie that Gio is tempting given his ability out of the backfield as a receiver. There may be something to work out with draft picks eventually. 

Denver - 

Emmanuel Sanders, WR - I really like Sanders and I think he would fit in extremely well with this passing offense. He can be had for a 5. It's tempting, but there's also another player that can be had for a 5 that I'll get to later. Sanders is coming off a down year, but I think that was mainly due to the quarterback situation. He'll be 31 in this upcoming season as well, and while I don't expect him to suddenly drop off a cliff the next two years, this is pretty clearly only going to be a 2 year marriage. 

DT, WR - I like Sanders more, and DT is more expense (wants a day 2 pick). I think I'd rather bypass DT and try for a rookie with red zone ability 

Aqib Talib, CB - I did touch base with him on Talib, and he apparently already has a really good offer that I wouldn't be willing to match. 

Hou - Jadaveon Clowney. Here's a fun one! Obviously would slide into our LEO role. I can't believe that he's already on his option year. Looked beastly last year, but has had some nagging injuries. Not sure what the comp requirement is, but I don't know how it works without giving up our first rounder. 

KC - Dee Ford, pass rusher. This is the other guy that I may be interested in. It would take a 5th. He's coming off a bad, injury plagued season and is on his option year. Had 10 sacks in 2016 though. I wouldn't trust him to solve the LEO problem, as I'd probably still draft one in rounds 2/3, but he's definitely intriguing. 

LAR - Rodger Saffold, G. Again, looking at the guard play. Comp request is developmental player / draft pick. I can't imagine that there's been a lot of traction on Saffold, but I'm pretty sure that he quietly had a solid season last year. 

MIA - 

The dolphins have contacted me about Armstead, but unfortunately, there's not a lot I love about their trade block in a player for player swap. Cameron Wake is on the block, and while he's still very effective, He's 36 years old. Pouncey is also on the block at center, but it looks to me like he's not been very good for a few years at this point. 

NO - Max Unger, C. He's 31, which isn't ideal, and has struggled with injury in the past. I'm also not sure how effective he has been lately, either. I haven't talked to Saints fans, and PFF graded him out very poorly last year, but I don't know how seriously to take that. No word on compensation outside of draft pick. 

NYG - the only somewhat interesting player on their list is Eli Apple. He's looking for offensive line help, and if I can do something with Tomlinson here, that may be something I look into.

SEA - they have been busy attempting to gut the core of the defense and start fresh it looks like. KJ Wright apepars to have already been dealt, and Sherman and Earl are on the block. They have interest in Armstead, and there were some preliminary discussions involving Thomas (I'd rather him than Sherman, coming off the achilles), which would force us to either trade Ward or move him back to corner. Thomas would fit the defense perfectly, and he's still possibly the best center in the game. Unfortuanately, the Seattle GM apparently ghosted me lol.  

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Cincinnati has some really interesting names available in AJ Green

If you can trade for AJ Green and not get swindled I might finally respect you. 

The Pouncey/Armstead trade I like a little bit but I havent paid much attention to him lately. 

Talib is getting cut dont bother with him yet

2 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

If you can trade for AJ Green and not get swindled I might finally respect you. 

The Pouncey/Armstead trade I like a little bit but I havent paid much attention to him lately. 

Talib is getting cut dont bother with him yet

He's actually already worked out a trade for Talib, so he's off the table anyway. 

On 1/30/2018 at 9:48 AM, Forge said:

Yeah, the info that I have put out is that I would really prefer a player over a pick in return for Armstead. I Don't know why i feel that way, just do. Flipping picks can be hard - everyone wants to trade down in this thing all the time, so if you are able to move down, it's almost always at a ridiculously low price coming back. 

He's a guy that is young and has potential, but hasn't really shown  a lot.  I'd love to get a guy just like that back in return at another position.  Sure depth in the d-line would be nice, but a luxury when we need so much at so many other spots.  Good luck in making that happen for us.

I would say get Ford over Sanders if you have to choose one. Pass rusher is a bigger need than wr at this point. We are ok with who we have at Wr at the moment. 

I really like gio Bernard for this offense. He would be a nice addition. Gio, breida and a rookie RB like Sony would be a really nice trio. 

Try trading armstead and a 2nd for AJ green. 

9 minutes ago, N4L said:

I would say get Ford over Sanders if you have to choose one. Pass rusher is a bigger need than wr at this point. We are ok with who we have at Wr at the moment. 

I really like gio Bernard for this offense. He would be a nice addition. Gio, breida and a rookie RB like Sony would be a really nice trio. 

Try trading armstead and a 2nd for AJ green. 

I really like the Gio fit as well. I'm pretty sure that the Bengals are good on the defensive line, and I think that they have similar issues in the style of defense that they run where Armstead may not fit. When I contacted him, he said he was looking for offensive linemen and outside linebackers. I could offer him Eli Harold 

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

I really like the Gio fit as well. I'm pretty sure that the Bengals are good on the defensive line, and I think that they have similar issues in the style of defense that they run where Armstead may not fit. When I contacted him, he said he was looking for offensive linemen and outside linebackers. I could offer him Eli Harold 

Joshua Garnett? 

7 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Joshua Garnett? 

Thought about it...I've been planning on keeping him for the time being. I'm not a fan, but I figure Garnett / Fusco (planning to re-sign) / rookie or big time FA signing would be a really good trio. I'm hoping to trade off Tomlinson. 

Just now, Forge said:

Riddick may intrigue me, but I'll be honest, I'd prefer Gio from the Bengals. 

Alright, let me know what you guys might want to do. I definitely have some interest in Arik Armstead, have a need at DT and I'd be willing to part ways with either of those RB's as well as someone like Anthony Zettel.

2 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Alright, let me know what you guys might want to do. I definitely have some interest in Arik Armstead, have a need at DT and I'd be willing to part ways with either of those RB's as well as someone like Anthony Zettel.

Golden Tate?

Archived