Forge's TCMD - 49ers

Forge

Pick coming up in a little bit in round 5. I do have an offer on the table to take two end of the 5th picks for the one that's about to come up. Anyway, here are some guys that I'm potentially looking at

• Tegray Scales, LB, Indiana. 
  • JC Jackson, CB, Maryland
  • Parry Nickerson, CB, Tulane
  • Trevon Young, EDGE, Louisville (may be better in 3-4 though)
  • Foley Fatukasi, DT/NT, Uconn - probably the favorite at this point for me. We could use a little big bodied depth. Mitchell is old, and DJ Jones didn't show enough to be considered the shoo-in replacement. 
  • Marcell Frazier, Edge, Mizzou - athletically limited, but I think the best pass rusher with regards to technique and skill. He's high on my list. 
  • Kylie Fitts, Edge, Utah
  • Wyatt Teller, G, VaTech 
  • Armani Watts, S, Texas A&M

Pretty sure that all of these guys are available at the current point in time. 

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

Foley Fatukasi, DT/NT, Uconn - probably the favorite at this point for me. We could use a little big bodied depth. Mitchell is old, and DJ Jones didn't show enough to be considered the shoo-in replacement. 

This argument right here tells me we should look at Vea in the first! xD So, I would say take this guy if he is your fave. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Pick coming up in a little bit in round 5. I do have an offer on the table to take two end of the 5th picks for the one that's about to come up. Anyway, here are some guys that I'm potentially looking at

• Tegray Scales, LB, Indiana. 
  • JC Jackson, CB, Maryland
  • Parry Nickerson, CB, Tulane
  • Trevon Young, EDGE, Louisville (may be better in 3-4 though)
  • Foley Fatukasi, DT/NT, Uconn - probably the favorite at this point for me. We could use a little big bodied depth. Mitchell is old, and DJ Jones didn't show enough to be considered the shoo-in replacement. 
  • Marcell Frazier, Edge, Mizzou - athletically limited, but I think the best pass rusher with regards to technique and skill. He's high on my list. 
  • Kylie Fitts, Edge, Utah
  • Wyatt Teller, G, VaTech 
  • Armani Watts, S, Texas A&M

Pretty sure that all of these guys are available at the current point in time. 

If I had to pick one guy from this list it would be Frazier

• 2 weeks later...

Our final tally and what we did in free agency and the draft - 

Signed: 

• Justin Pugh, G
  • Dante Moncrief, WR
  • Dion Lewis, RB
  • Brent Grimes, CB
  • Ross Cockrell, CB
  • Corey Nelson, LB
  • Anthony Hitchens, LB
  • Cassius Marsh (re-signed)
  • Daniel Kilgore (re-signed)

Traded For:

• Earl Thomas (S)
  • Mike Gillislee (RB)
  • Hau'oli Kihaha (DE)
  • Mark Barron (LB)
  • Caleb Benenoch (OT)

NFL Draft: 

• Rd 1 - Minkah FitzpatrickPurely a BPA selection, we'll find a way to get him on the field. Was voted the second best first round pick (we lost to Denzel Ward, who somehow fell all the way to #16) 
  • Rd 2 - Josh Sweat (DE) - We needed a pass rusher, and at this point, he was the best on the board. My hope is that he can come in immediately on passing downs and be a successful situational pass rush
  • Rd 3 - Geron Christian (OT) - I decided to let Gilliam go in free agency. With Staley staring at the end of his career in the next two years, and Trent Brown's future far from certain, I thought it was important to find a guy that we can groom for the position. Christian isn't ready to play yet, but he has a ton of upside. Good feet and agility (former basketball player). Has some left tackle potential, in my opinion, just needs a lot of coaching. 
  • Rd 3 - Mason Cole (C) - This was a much debated pick at the time, but I'm very happy that we went in this direction. Cole has versatility all over the line, though his best fit will probably be at Center. He's familiar with professional schemes coming from Harbaugh's offense, which can often be complicated, particularly in the run game. He also destroyed the position drills at the combine. 
  • Rd 4 - Traded Down
  • Rd 5 - Allen Lazard (WR) - After sitting and waiting for the big wide receivers to come off the board, I finally made my move at the top of round 5. Lazard was better than I expected at the combine, and though I still think he plays like he's running in quicksand, he's a big bodied receiver that we don't really have on the roster. May be a solid red zone target and niche player. 
  • Rd 5 - Folorunso Fatuski (DT) - A big bodied DT to give Mitchell and DJ Jones some good competition. It hink Fatuski is better than a fifth round prospect, but this is where the lack of positional need and value helps us out with him falling. He's not much of a pass rusher, however. 
  • RD 6 - Marcell Frazier (DE) - Frazier lacks major athleticism to probably succeed at the next level, but is a pretty polished pass rusher when it comes to technique and moves. Mizzou also has a nice history of producing quality defensive linemen at the next level. I wanted to add one more pass rusher to the equation before the draft was over. Frazier wasn't invited to the combine, which means that interest in him is not that great, but sometimes, a guy just transitions well regardless of the lack of athleticism if he just knows what he's doing. I'm hoping that Frazier is that guy. 
  • RD 6 - Ricky Jeune (WR) - Another guy that didn't make the combine, Jeune stems from Georgia Tech, which basically tells you all you need to know. He's big, he's fast, and you can throw it deep to him. Not at all polished as a receiver, so this is a long term play and kind of the opposite of Frazier; we are banking on his size and speed and his ability to learn how to play receiver. 
  • RD 7 - Parry Nickerson (CB) - Honestly, this is one of my favorite picks in the draft because he should have gone way higher. Again, pretty much a BPA selection here because Nickerson is likely a slot corner at the next level given he's only 5'10, but he may be able to cut it on the outside, and we have Williams (who probably wouldn't be long for the team given our moves) and added Minkah in round one who can play the slot. But the kid was really good. Seriously. And he's fast. I just loved being able to get him in round 7. Major steal in my opinion. 
  • RD 7 - Bradley Bozeman (C/G) - Bozeman is a smart offensive lineman, and I like that for us. He started two seasons for Alabama. Lacks crazy physical gifts, but he's just a dude that will give you the best he's got. 

That covers most of it. Obviously, we didn't solve everything, but I Think we put a good leg up. We still had 30 million in space for the year, and 60 million the following year, so we are still in excellent shape. We finished 5th in best GM voting for the mock, which isn't bad. 

Great work! I like the reasoning behind all of the late round picks. I think the contracts that some of your free agent acquisitions cost you compared to the teams in real life, speaks volumes about the quality of your knowledge base (namely Brent Grimes). 

Ihave no idea what you are going to do with both Earl Thomas and Fitzpatrick, i guess Thomas will play center field and Fitzpatrick will be used to cover TEs? Ward goes back to corner in that scenario as well (kind of feel bad for the guy constantly making him switch every year).

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 1:18 PM, Forge said:

Our final tally and what we did in free agency and the draft - 

Signed: 

• Justin Pugh, G
  • Dante Moncrief, WR
  • Dion Lewis, RB
  • Brent Grimes, CB
  • Ross Cockrell, CB
  • Corey Nelson, LB
  • Anthony Hitchens, LB
  • Cassius Marsh (re-signed)
  • Daniel Kilgore (re-signed)

Traded For:

• Earl Thomas (S)
  • Mike Gillislee (RB)
  • Hau'oli Kihaha (DE)
  • Mark Barron (LB)
  • Caleb Benenoch (OT)

NFL Draft: 

• Rd 1 - Minkah FitzpatrickPurely a BPA selection, we'll find a way to get him on the field. Was voted the second best first round pick (we lost to Denzel Ward, who somehow fell all the way to #16) 
  • Rd 2 - Josh Sweat (DE) - We needed a pass rusher, and at this point, he was the best on the board. My hope is that he can come in immediately on passing downs and be a successful situational pass rush
  • Rd 3 - Geron Christian (OT) - I decided to let Gilliam go in free agency. With Staley staring at the end of his career in the next two years, and Trent Brown's future far from certain, I thought it was important to find a guy that we can groom for the position. Christian isn't ready to play yet, but he has a ton of upside. Good feet and agility (former basketball player). Has some left tackle potential, in my opinion, just needs a lot of coaching. 
  • Rd 3 - Mason Cole (C) - This was a much debated pick at the time, but I'm very happy that we went in this direction. Cole has versatility all over the line, though his best fit will probably be at Center. He's familiar with professional schemes coming from Harbaugh's offense, which can often be complicated, particularly in the run game. He also destroyed the position drills at the combine. 
  • Rd 4 - Traded Down
  • Rd 5 - Allen Lazard (WR) - After sitting and waiting for the big wide receivers to come off the board, I finally made my move at the top of round 5. Lazard was better than I expected at the combine, and though I still think he plays like he's running in quicksand, he's a big bodied receiver that we don't really have on the roster. May be a solid red zone target and niche player. 
  • Rd 5 - Folorunso Fatuski (DT) - A big bodied DT to give Mitchell and DJ Jones some good competition. It hink Fatuski is better than a fifth round prospect, but this is where the lack of positional need and value helps us out with him falling. He's not much of a pass rusher, however. 
  • RD 6 - Marcell Frazier (DE) - Frazier lacks major athleticism to probably succeed at the next level, but is a pretty polished pass rusher when it comes to technique and moves. Mizzou also has a nice history of producing quality defensive linemen at the next level. I wanted to add one more pass rusher to the equation before the draft was over. Frazier wasn't invited to the combine, which means that interest in him is not that great, but sometimes, a guy just transitions well regardless of the lack of athleticism if he just knows what he's doing. I'm hoping that Frazier is that guy. 
  • RD 6 - Ricky Jeune (WR) - Another guy that didn't make the combine, Jeune stems from Georgia Tech, which basically tells you all you need to know. He's big, he's fast, and you can throw it deep to him. Not at all polished as a receiver, so this is a long term play and kind of the opposite of Frazier; we are banking on his size and speed and his ability to learn how to play receiver. 
  • RD 7 - Parry Nickerson (CB) - Honestly, this is one of my favorite picks in the draft because he should have gone way higher. Again, pretty much a BPA selection here because Nickerson is likely a slot corner at the next level given he's only 5'10, but he may be able to cut it on the outside, and we have Williams (who probably wouldn't be long for the team given our moves) and added Minkah in round one who can play the slot. But the kid was really good. Seriously. And he's fast. I just loved being able to get him in round 7. Major steal in my opinion. 
  • RD 7 - Bradley Bozeman (C/G) - Bozeman is a smart offensive lineman, and I like that for us. He started two seasons for Alabama. Lacks crazy physical gifts, but he's just a dude that will give you the best he's got. 

That covers most of it. Obviously, we didn't solve everything, but I Think we put a good leg up. We still had 30 million in space for the year, and 60 million the following year, so we are still in excellent shape. We finished 5th in best GM voting for the mock, which isn't bad. 

I really like the positions you targeted and around the rounds you targeted them (with perhaps the exception of not snagging a long boundary corner to succeed Sherman and battle with Mabin). I prefer Brian O'Neill in the second/early third or a later round prospect (specifically Brandon Parker) to Christian, but I understand the appeal. I'd like to get DJ Chark or St. Brown  if they fall in the third/fourth over Lazard because I'd prefer that even my longer receivers be able to seperate using route running and quickness. They might not be there, but then I'd prefer waiting until the fifth/sixth for a guy like J'Mon Moore. I think that we both share the same concerns on Sweat, but it is just a rough draft for pass rushers, and he's one of the very few with the athletic profile to do it at the next level and would probably pick similarly, though would consider just grabbing more players that we'd think would pan out in other positions and have a mildly limp pass rush for one year over taking Sweat because we need a rusher. Mason Cole was a nice get. I'm not a huge fan of his athletic upside, but I like his floor and he'll at least be a rotational interior player for us and provides cover against Richburg concussion problems. I would probably prefer to target Quessenberry a bit later because he is a better athlete and I bet we can get more out of him than the UCLA coaching staff. Plus, the interior pick this year doesn't have to play right away. I have no idea how the interior defensive prospects are going to fall, but I love me some BJ Hill. I think that he would be quality depth at 3T, Nose, and even a little big end and would be the long term replacement for Arik, but Frazier is a fine player and he and Fatuski together solve the same issue. I also have no idea how the nickel corners are going to fall, but man, I hope Ken Webster does. Nickelson is a fine player.

Really dig the draft and acquisitions. Not a huge fan of Barron, especially with Hitchens, but he's still a very good player to have in a rotation. Between Lewis, Gilly and Breida, that's a pretty nice RB platoon. 

Archived