Forge's TCMD - 49ers

Forge

I'm sort of "meh" on these players, but I wanted to see if any of these guys sparked any sort of interest from Carolina: 

Ryan Kalil, C (should be noted, he's announced that he's retiring after the season)

Thomas Davis, LB (I believe that he plays strong side linebacker; very long in the tooth, but probably an improvement over Harold)

Charles Johnson, DE 

Jonathan Stewart, RB

Fozzy Whitaker, RB

Russell Shephard, WR. 

Carolina was looking to do a player for player swap on Eli Harold, but given that he's still our starting SAM without a true replacement (well, Watson, I suppose) , unless I did it for Thomas Davis straight up (who is probably better at this point still, but more expensive and older and likely done soon...though Harold is probably not going to be a guy who's likely to be re-signed) 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Thomas Davis, LB (I believe that he plays strong side linebacker; very long in the tooth, but probably an improvement over Harold)

Carolina was looking to do a player for player swap on Eli Harold, but given that he's still our starting SAM without a true replacement (well, Watson, I suppose) , unless I did it for Thomas Davis straight up (who is probably better at this point still, but more expensive and older and likely done soon...though Harold is probably not going to be a guy who's likely to be re-signed) 

Pretty sure Davis plays WILL for Carolina and he also announced 2018 will be his last year. 

I wouldn't mind going for Kalil for a year rental for Harold. Harold is pretty good at setting the edge but doesn't provide much more than that and with Kalil you get a upgrade at center over Kilgore while you can continue to grow a guy like Magnuson or draft a guy later in the draft that can grow and learn from Kalil and meanwhile he can help Garnett and whoever we decide the other guard will be.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:53 PM, Forge said:

I'm sort of "meh" on these players, but I wanted to see if any of these guys sparked any sort of interest from Carolina: 

Ryan Kalil, C (should be noted, he's announced that he's retiring after the season)

Charles Johnson, DE 

Jonathan Stewart, RB

Fozzy Whitaker, RB

Russell Shephard, WR. 

I'll pass on them all expect a potential deal for TD.

I would trade Harold for Kalil in a heartbeat. It would be an immediate upgrade at C while getting rid of a baalke pick who was over drafted and has never produced. He should probably be replaced even if you don't trade him away honestly. 

Veteran centers pair well with young guards (Nelson, garnet) 

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

I would trade Harold for Kalil in a heartbeat. It would be an immediate upgrade at C while getting rid of a baalke pick who was over drafted and has never produced. He should probably be replaced even if you don't trade him away honestly. 

Veteran centers pair well with young guards (Nelson, garnet) 

But Kalil isn't really that good to be honest, so I'm not sure that's actually an upgrade. He's generally considered to be a below average center at this point in his career and hasn't played more than half a season in 3 years. I understand the impetus for taking him though - maybe trade for him, draft a guy like Daniels in round 3 to groom behind him for a year....it's just a little uninspiring at this point. 

Some updated trade block notes - 

Atl has put up their trade block, which includes Tevin Coleman. They appear to be looking for a WR / CB / DT, however, so may not be the best fit. Think i would still prefer Gio anyway. 

Green Bay has Cobb up on the block, but that looks like a hard 4th round pick to acquire him. 

NE has Gillislee on the block. They have absolutely no use for him at this point given that he was an inactive player most of the end of the season. I woudln't give up anything much for him, maybe a 7th, however he could have some appeal as a short yardage back. Right now our main two RBs are Williams and Breida (along with Juice Check), but at the same time, we could sign Jeremy Hill on a buy low deal to have a similar role and he probably has more upside. Crowell as well. It's hard to count on FA in this, though. 

Right now, I've got Dumervil, Tomlinson, Aldrick Robinson and Eli Harold on the block. I may add Williams as well - haven't decided. Provided the deal in place for Armstead goes through, Williams becomes less needed, though may still behoove us to have him. Can never have enough CB depth. I also have Zane Beadles on the block, though I doubt anything comes of that. I've gotten feelers on Tomlinson and Harold.

1 minute ago, 48 1/2ers said:

No corners available? Sherman even?

He is on the block and was offered to me, I passed. Worked out another deal. Eli Apple is on the market, but haven't been able to get much in the way of details / cost so far (the GM of the Giants is the creator / guy who runs the mock...he gets busy). Dre Kirkpatrick i put in an inquiry on, but what the Bengals are looking for isn't anything we really had. After that, it's like Pacman, Quentin Rollins. Not a lot. Jalen Myrick is on the board...I know some people were fans. Jeremy Lane, meh. Some other low level 4/5th cornerback types.

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Debating a potential offer on Dee Ford. Not much there though. On his option year, so his salary is up there, and he's really only had one okay season. Coming off injury to boot. 

Read that Ford was likely to fail his physical coming up. Pretty lousy run defender anyway. I'd pass.

Just now, oldman9er said:

Read that Ford was likely to fail his physical coming up. Pretty lousy run defender anyway. I'd pass.

Yeah, I knew that he was coming off his injury, didn't know that it was that serious. I was thinking cheap situational pass rusher, but honestly, he's onlyhad the one year where he was pretty good anyway, so it wouldn't even prevent me from signing someone else or drafting a guy. 

Just now, Forge said:

Yeah, I knew that he was coming off his injury, didn't know that it was that serious. I was thinking cheap situational pass rusher, but honestly, he's onlyhad the one year where he was pretty good anyway, so it wouldn't even prevent me from signing someone else or drafting a guy. 

Trading for him on that 5th yr option puts an 8+ mil hit towards your cap, IIRC.

Just now, oldman9er said:

Trading for him on that 5th yr option puts an 8+ mil hit towards your cap, IIRC.

Yeah, it definitely does. I think that there are other players that I may be able to get later on down the line when guys try to clear out cap space. He may even end up released. I don't think that there's any reason to make this move just yet. 

Archived