Forge's TCMD - 49ers

Forge

As DTM mentioned, our trades are now able to be processed. We have completed our first (and only thus far) trade. 

49ers receive - Earl Thomas

Seattle Received - Arik Armstead + 2018 3rd round pick #75 (ours, not Chicago's). 

Thomas wasn't a guy I was targeting as obviously safety is not a big need for us, however I couldn't really pass this up, and I think this immediately upgrades two positions, as no matter how much someone may like Ward, there's no that Thomas still isn't an upgrade for us at the position. this also allows us to move Ward back to corner, both outside and in, which immediately helps out the cornerback situation in the pass game, and honestly should improve the run defense as well as the Ward was really good against the run as a corner. 

So for me, our defense would typically have Thomas and Tartt on the back end on base down, then Tartt sliding to the hybrid nickel role with Colbert coming in with Thomas (that range would be fantastic) on passing downs. 

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

As DTM mentioned, our trades are now able to be processed. We have completed our first (and only thus far) trade. 

49ers receive - Earl Thomas

Seattle Received - Arik Armstead + 2018 3rd round pick #75 (ours, not Chicago's). 

Thomas wasn't a guy I was targeting as obviously safety is not a big need for us, however I couldn't really pass this up, and I think this immediately upgrades two positions, as no matter how much someone may like Ward, there's no that Thomas still isn't an upgrade for us at the position. this also allows us to move Ward back to corner, both outside and in, which immediately helps out the cornerback situation in the pass game, and honestly should improve the run defense as well as the Ward was really good against the run as a corner. 

So for me, our defense would typically have Thomas and Tartt on the back end on base down, then Tartt sliding to the hybrid nickel role with Colbert coming in with Thomas (that range would be fantastic) on passing downs. 

st,small,215x235-pad,210x230,f8f8f8.lite

I've placed Foster on the block. I don't have an idea on the market, just going to leave the window open and take the best offer that comes in. Obviously he's facing a definite 4 game suspension for this upcoming season, possibly more. But he would have 3 more years of team control moving forward, so there may still be some value there. 

I've completed the trade for Foster. Obviously, I don't know that we are going to trade him in real life given the loss of value, and I really can't believe that we are going to cut him, but it's sort of meh. I mean, obviously terrific upside being lost here, but things have not boded well in this first year for Foster, and I'd prefer not to wait around to see if he can get his  head on right and get straight. I got an offer that I thought was pretty fair all things considered. So, 

49ers have traded Reuben Foster to the Carolina Panthers (dear god, Kuechly, Thompson and Foster???) for a 2018 3rd round pick (#88) + a conditional mid round 2019 pick. 

Opening up discussions for possible linebacker trade targets. A couple of guys I've looked at early on are Mark Barron and Mychael Kendricks. Kendricks is coming off a really good year, but the price is a day 2 pick. Barron is out of position with the Rams. He can't play OLB in a 3-4, probably not the best fit as an ILB. His ideal match would be as a 4-3 OLB, but I'm reticent to shell out a ton for him. May simply try to sign someone such as Zach Brown in free agency. 

Have a tentative agreement to move down in the draft, obviously depending on whether or not their player is there when we select. Not going to mention it yet because it is very fluid. Most people here will not be happy with the return lol. 

What happened to Jimmie Ward? Is he still a 49er? If so, why trade for Thomas? Since you traded Armstead, im assuming that he simply hasn't been worth that first round draft pick? Should try acquiring just draft picks and try to rebuild via the Draft.

Like the Foster trade. What a piece of crap that guy is. UGH.

Should try to trade for A.J. Green if possible. Give Jimmy a weapon like him would be awesome!!!

1 hour ago, dan77733 said:

What happened to Jimmie Ward? Is he still a 49er? If so, why trade for Thomas? Since you traded Armstead, im assuming that he simply hasn't been worth that first round draft pick? Should try acquiring just draft picks and try to rebuild via the Draft.

Like the Foster trade. What a piece of crap that guy is. UGH.

Should try to trade for A.J. Green if possible. Give Jimmy a weapon like him would be awesome!!!

Ward is still on the roster. He's been moved back to corner

One minor trade today

49ers receive: 

Mike Gillislee, RB + Pick #208

Patriots receive::

Pick #188. 

Basically, not much here. We can use another running back, and we are basically trading down 20 spots in round 6 to buy low on Gillislee, who just was never right in NE for whatever reason. But the guy average 5.7 yards per carry over 150 carries his last two years in Buffalo, so clearly there is some ability there, and if nothing else, he can add a slightly more reliable short yardage back than Breida. I also wanted to do something a little lower key at the running back position. I'd still like to see what's there with Williams, and I think there is some nice potential. Gillislee is a one year rental on a very minimal 2+ million dollar deal that is not guaranteed, so he could easily be waived in the preseason if he doesn't pan out and it would cost nothing more than a minor move down in the later rounds. If we go and shell out big money for a running back over a few years, we may as well just can Williams now. I may still add one more piece at the running back position for competition, haven't decided yet. There's upside with this group, but at the same time, some questions. 

Another minor trade today:

49ers receive: 

1239 - Mark Barron - ILB

Pick #87

Rams Receive: 

0653 - Eli Harold - 43OLB

Pick #70

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Harold was quite frankly, not good, and he was on the last year of his deal. Barron was great as a strong side backer 2 years ago, and though out of place as an ILB in Wade's scheme, he was still pretty strong as an ILB last year (specifically against the run), but it was natural for the Rams to move off him given his cap hit and not being the most natural ILB.

Moved back to his natural linebacker spot on the strong side, he should excel once more.  He immediately comes in and greatly improves the SAM spot. Trading down 17 spots in the third round and letting go of Harold doesn't seem so costly. The cap hit on Barron this year is pretty brutal (9 million), but he's also under contract for 2 more years after this one at slightly lower prices (8 million and 5.5). At 28 years old, we should get good worth out of him for the entire duration of that contract. 

Archived