Is DeMarco Murray a Titan next season?

kris_kapsner

There has been some conjecture regarding the potential release of DeMarco Murray due to a relatively large salary due in 2018.

It seemed like Murray, though Henry is talented, is the most diverse and talented RB that the Titans have and could lead a nice 1-2 punch between the two.  He was injured early in 2017 and I wonder if he ever recovered this season.  I expect Murray to come back strong next season if given the opportunity.

What are some of your thoughts?

No thanks, his burst is gone and his vision is gone. He can be a good 3rd down back elsewhere given how good of a pass catcher he is and how well he reads defenses and picks up blitzes, but because we have Henry, we need someone faster and quicker that can serve as a change of pace back.

31 minutes ago, AirMcNair said:

It really makes you wonder, was it worth it to trade for him in the first place? He did seem like an amazing pickup at the time.

It was certainly worth it. He gave us a very good season last year and we basically got him for nothing. Wasn’t his fault that Mularkey and Robiskie ran him into the ground this season.

5 hours ago, AirMcNair said:

It really makes you wonder, was it worth it to trade for him in the first place? He did seem like an amazing pickup at the time.

I think he was worth it, 18-14 over two years and in year 1 he was one of the best in the league. He's getting up there but he served the team well. 

6 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Only way I want Murray back is if he takes a 4mill dollar pay cut & accepts a role as a 3rd down back/ backup no more lead back or committee backfield 

On the flip side, I highly doubt he'd do this. I'd rather pay Dion Lewis or Jerrick McKinnon $4-5M/year than Murray $2-3M at this rate. More upside and bring something different than Henry, better compliments that could carry a larger load if needed. 

Simple answer... Not at that salary. And there is no dead cap hit for cutting him, so...

But it could get more complicated than that. He's definitely a better fit in what I think is going to be be LaFleur's offense than Henry. Henry is the better pure runner at this stage of their careers, but Murray does everything else better. If he's willing to take a paycut (doubtful), then it could be interesting...

We have plenty of cap room, so i don’t think salary should play a huge roll in the decision. Also if Henry went down, Murray is a great insurance policy. Finding a RB late isn’t as easy as it seems, if it was the league would be full of great RB talent. 

Archived