Is DeMarco Murray a Titan next season?

kris_kapsner

Since the CBA allowed for cap rollover, cap money has become a very fluid thing. $6.5M may not seem like a lot now with $50M+... But with rollover, it could be needed and some used 3 years from now. They will not waste 6.5M when they can get a replacement at a fraction, either via FA ir the draft.

7 hours ago, 98Eddie said:

We have plenty of cap room, so i don’t think salary should play a huge roll in the decision. Also if Henry went down, Murray is a great insurance policy. Finding a RB late isn’t as easy as it seems, if it was the league would be full of great RB talent. 

6.5 million can be used to upgrade a guard or LB at that price no thank you 

Here's the thing, Murray's contract is not all that expensive when combined with Henry's rookie contract.  And when healthy (Murray was not this year), the two of them provide one of the stronger 1-2 RB duos in the league for less than $8 million total.  And the Titans have plenty of cap space.

Murray's contract for 2018 puts him in the same cost area as guys like Chris Ivory and Lamar Miller, both of whom will be paid more this year than Murray will.  Henry's contract is all the way down by guys like Spencer Ware, Robert Turbin and Fozzy Wittaker.

Having a strong duo of RB's who both bring different skill sets to the table is valuable for this offense.  I predict Murray will be a Titan for the 2018 season.

18 minutes ago, kris_kapsner said:

Here's the thing, Murray's contract is not all that expensive when combined with Henry's rookie contract.  And when healthy (Murray was not this year), the two of them provide one of the stronger 1-2 RB duos in the league for less than $8 million total.  And the Titans have plenty of cap space.

Murray's contract for 2018 puts him in the same cost area as guys like Chris Ivory and Lamar Miller, both of whom will be paid more this year than Murray will.  Henry's contract is all the way down by guys like Spencer Ware, Robert Turbin and Fozzy Wittaker.

Having a strong duo of RB's who both bring different skill sets to the table is valuable for this offense.  I predict Murray will be a Titan for the 2018 season.

If he takes a pay cut he’s not coming back at 6.5 mill you can book it.

Why would we want to pay a guy 6.5 million a year when all we do is ***** every time they hand him the ball? He will be gone, Henry will take over as lead back, someone else will be brought in to compliment him with a contrasting skillset.

1 hour ago, kris_kapsner said:

Ivory is a bad example to support your argument as he will most likely be cut this year because of the young stud behind him, just like Murray.

11 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Ivory is a bad example to support your argument as he will most likely be cut this year because of the young stud behind him, just like Murray.

That's probably true.  Doug Martin will also be cut and he's paid more as well.

I just feel like a player getting hurt but playing through it the year after putting up one of the better RB seasons in the NFL should be given a chance to bounce back.  I could be wrong though.  And odds are good that he's cut.  I just think that a healthy Henry/Murray for less than $8 million is a solid investment.  Great RB duo potentially for 2018.

1 hour ago, kris_kapsner said:

I doubt it, but its also not outside the realm of possibility.  It's a long shot for him to stay at his current salary though...

• The Jags owe Ivory $6M this year in new money this year.... once they cut him, they save $3M on the cap (or more if they use 2019 cap).  $3M dead cap hit total
  • The Texans owe Miller 5.75M in new money this year... if they cut him, they save $4M+ on the cap this year... they take a $2M dead cap hit.  
  • The Titans don't have any prorated money left on Henry's contract.  That means they save the full $6.5M... no dead cap hit involved.

So from your comparison...Miller gained 1200 yards from scrimmage in a "down" year....  and Ivory is getting cut in spite of a $3M cap hit.  Ivory and Murray also both hit the dreaded RB age of 30 prior to the start of FA.  The math is very simple and telling... 

If they are looking at spending some money at RB... Instead of spending 6.5M on Murray once again... Personally, I'd rather take a look at Lewis or Hyde at 5-5.5M.  Both guys are younger, and both do everything Murray does.  But the draft is where I'd put my efforts on.  Not only is Michel a real possibility in the 2nd... guys like Wadley (Iowa) and Carter (Grambling St.) are guys I like in that 3rd-4th round area.  

15 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

6.5 million can be used to upgrade a guard or LB at that price no thank you 

2018 Cap Totals

2018 NFL Salary Cap $178,000,000
2017 Rollover Cap $29,488,760
Adjustment $0
Adjusted Salary Cap $207,488,760
All Contracts $158,763,942
Top 51 Contracts $156,363,942
Dead Money $548,887
Top 51 Cap Allocations $156,912,829
Total Cap Allocations $159,312,829
Cap Space (Total Cap) $48,175,931
Cap Space (Top 51 only) $50,575,931

Why not keep demarco and sign that G or LB or both, we have 50mil. I get it we have to sign Lewan and mariota but both won’t be max contracts and the cap goes up yearly. I don’t think a 5th rd rb is going to out produce Murray. Im not saying we’re not going to cut him but I believe Murray makes this roster better. 

23 minutes ago, 98Eddie said:

2018 Cap Totals

2018 NFL Salary Cap $178,000,000
2017 Rollover Cap $29,488,760
Adjustment $0
Adjusted Salary Cap $207,488,760
All Contracts $158,763,942
Top 51 Contracts $156,363,942
Dead Money $548,887
Top 51 Cap Allocations $156,912,829
Total Cap Allocations $159,312,829
Cap Space (Total Cap) $48,175,931
Cap Space (Top 51 only) $50,575,931

Why not keep demarco and sign that G or LB or both, we have 50mil. I get it we have to sign Lewan and mariota but both won’t be max contracts and the cap goes up yearly. I don’t think a 5th rd rb is going to out produce Murray. Im not saying we’re not going to cut him but I believe Murray makes this roster better. 

For the same reason that has been stated numerous times, he's not worth it, we can find a RB to do his job cheaper, Henry will be the lead back, that 6.5 mil rolls over to next year when we're very possibly going to have to extend Mariota to 20+ mil a year.... Etc

Extra cap space is not wasted, so don't waste what you have.

31 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

For the same reason that has been stated numerous times, he's not worth it, we can find a RB to do his job cheaper, Henry will be the lead back, that 6.5 mil rolls over to next year when we're very possibly going to have to extend Mariota to 20+ mil a year.... Etc

Extra cap space is not wasted, so don't waste what you have.

It’s not hard to find someone cheaper, it’s hard to find a back that is NFL caliber. I don’t want to throw away a nfl caliber player because of $$ when we have plenty. I can’t go back to the days of mccluster and Andrews at RB! let’s be careful of what we ask for.

1 hour ago, 98Eddie said:

It’s not hard to find someone cheaper, it’s hard to find a back that is NFL caliber. I don’t want to throw away a nfl caliber player because of $$ when we have plenty. I can’t go back to the days of mccluster and Andrews at RB! let’s be careful of what we ask for.

Is Ruston Webster walking through that door? Don’t think so. Demarco was meant to be a stop gap RB for a couple years. He’s been slowing down for a while now. You can blame the injuries all you want but  even towards the end of the 16 season, he was breaking down. The burst just isn’t there anymore. Finding solid RBs is not hard. This upcoming draft is loaded with them. Murray is 30, has no burst, and makes too much. No use in keeping him.

57 minutes ago, 98Eddie said:

It's hard to find NFL caliber QBs. NFL caliber RBs are growing on trees. He's 30, he's slowing down, he's overpaid, and he's gone.

This man is high RB are easy to find & are a dime a dozen Deonte FreeMan, Tevin Coleman, Le’Veon Bell, Kareem Hunt, Jordan Howard, Alvin Kumara, RB’s that were 2nd, 3rd-5thrd picks. RB isn’t hard to find my guy. Again that 6.5 mill can be given towards Lewan extension or a FA

Archived