Who would you draft at 8? Poll

dll2000

You have to draft one of these at 8. Who?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. You have to draft one of these at 8. Draft is today. Who do you take? Rank them.

• Calvin Ridley WR (Virtually every mock has Bears taking him, majority think he is best WR in draft).
    • Quenton Nelson OG (outstanding guard prospect, very low bust potential)
    • Denzel Ward CB (Trendy mock pick, Ohio St. becoming CB U).
    • Tremaine Edmunds LB (Freak athlete for position, only 19 yrs old )

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2018 at 12:28 AM

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Does Nelson make us a lot better? In 2016 without Long half the year Howard was 2nd in rushing yards and this year with Long and Sutton both missing time he was 6th in spite of running against 8 and 9-man boxes all season. Getting defenders out of the box will improve our run game more than adding Nelson will IMO, and it’s pretty damn solid already. Is he going to be a huge upgrade in the passing game? Can we develop a mid-rounder for a year behind Sitton under Hiestand and get a comparable player 100 picks later? I suspect we can and can do so without putting the interior OL in a compromised position for 2018. We need depth and development players at OG. 

Of the options I’d take Edmunds, Ridley, Ward and then Nelson, but I think a lot of other guys are reasonably in play there. If they think Davenport or Landry is the next Aldon Smith off the edge after a year under Fangio then I’d be hard pressed to see us passing them up. 

The solid already can also be applied to defense.

They were top 10 in scoring and sacks and were playing the corpse of McPhee and Houston most of the season.

8 minutes ago, G08 said:

This is what I've been saying as well. Guards are a dime a dozen, guys.

That high of a pick I want a QB, pass rusher, left tackle or an elite corner.

I do as well as long as they are elite talents.

The question becomes are you passing on a dominant player to take someone who will just be good.

Just now, WindyCity said:

I do as well as long as they are elite talents.

The question becomes are you passing on a dominant player to take someone who will just be good.

I believe a good pass rusher is better than a dominant guard. I *might* say the same thing about a good corner over a dominant guard.

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

I believe a good pass rusher is better than a dominant guard. I *might* say the same thing about a good corner over a dominant guard.

I do not think that is true.

Dominant players are difference makers. I would trade Leonard Floyd for Zach Martin in a heartbeat. 

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Does Nelson make us a lot better? In 2016 without Long half the year Howard was 2nd in rushing yards and this year with Long and Sutton both missing time he was 6th in spite of running against 8 and 9-man boxes all season. Getting defenders out of the box will improve our run game more than adding Nelson will IMO, and it’s pretty damn solid already. Is he going to be a huge upgrade in the passing game? Can we develop a mid-rounder for a year behind Sitton under Hiestand and get a comparable player 100 picks later? I suspect we can and can do so without putting the interior OL in a compromised position for 2018. We need depth and development players at OG. 

Of the options I’d take Edmunds, Ridley, Ward and then Nelson, but I think a lot of other guys are reasonably in play there. If they think Davenport or Landry is the next Aldon Smith off the edge after a year under Fangio then I’d be hard pressed to see us passing them up. 

We also rushed for less than 100 yards in 8 games last season with games of 6, 20, 30, and 43  in fielding the 16th best run game and Trubisky is tied for 4th worst sack percentage in the league. Given 2017 was played under Fox, Glennon, and a rookie QB the above numbers are not that definitive per our Oline. What is definitive is two notes from your statement. "...2016 without Long half the year..." and "...this year with Long and Sutton both missing time...".  Our Oline is marginal and has some serious fall offs when starters go down. Not arguing for a OG with the 8th pick, but improving our Oline is a nice bonus for the run game, but critical for protecting Trubisky, giving him time to find any new legit number 1 WR, and yes, helping the run game.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I do not think that is true.

Dominant players are difference makers. I would trade Leonard Floyd for Zach Martin in a heartbeat. 

*shrug* how did his being the #1 rated guard in football help the Cowboys in terms of wins, though?

8 minutes ago, G08 said:

*shrug* how did his being the #1 rated guard in football help the Cowboys in terms of wins, though?

How does Leonard Floyd being a good pass rusher help us in terms of wins?

You cannot write off a players value because their team doesn't win.

Dominant players make a difference every single game, the Bears lack those type of players. The Cowboys won 13 games last season with a 4th round rookie QB largely because of a dominant line.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

How does Leonard Floyd being a good pass rusher help us in terms of wins?

You cannot write off a players value because their team doesn't win.

Dominant players make a difference every single game, the Bears lack those type of players. The Cowboys won 13 games last season with a 4th round rookie QB largely because of a dominant line.

You're asking me how a good pass rusher helps a team win games? You're taking a kid who has been banged up both seasons in his career and comparing him to the #1 rated OG in football... kind of senseless but I'll engage for the sake of argument:

You take Leonard Floyd off this team and who are our pass rushers on the edge, Windy? You don't generate a pass rush, you get ripped apart in the NFL. I can find a mediocre guard in round 4 of the draft and still win games.

10 minutes ago, G08 said:

You're asking me how a good pass rusher helps a team win games? You're taking a kid who has been banged up both seasons in his career and comparing him to the #1 rated OG in football... kind of senseless but I'll engage for the sake of argument:

You take Leonard Floyd off this team and who are our pass rushers on the edge, Windy? You don't generate a pass rush, you get ripped apart in the NFL. I can find a mediocre guard in round 4 of the draft and still win games.

That is an exaggeration.

You know what stops a good pass rush? Your OL and some of the best pass rushers in the NFL come from the interior. QBs will tell you that interior pressure is a bigger deal than off the edges. So having a dominant OG helps to stop pass rush. The Bears best pass rusher is Akiem Hicks, who Quenton Nelson would directly help to neutralize. Some 4th round scrub is not going to stop Akiem Hicks.

I am not talking about specifically this team. You said a good pass rusher [Floyd] has more value than a dominant OG [Martin], which is not true. Dominant players have more value than good starters regardless of position.

12 minutes ago, G08 said:

We've had this argument already and I broke down the lines of the Eagles and Patriots and proved you don't need elite guards to win in the NFL.

Based on the Eagles and Patriots you do not need a starting QB to win in the NFL. Both have won games with backup QBs over the last 2 seasons.

2 teams doers not really prove anything about a position.

Just now, WindyCity said:

Both have won games without their starting QBs, so if we want to make broad generalizations based on 2 teams then we can say that you can win in the NFL with a backup QB.

I don't think you're this dumb so I'm just going to pretend you're intentionally being dense.

Archived