Who would you draft at 8? Poll

dll2000

You have to draft one of these at 8. Who?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. You have to draft one of these at 8. Draft is today. Who do you take? Rank them.

• Calvin Ridley WR (Virtually every mock has Bears taking him, majority think he is best WR in draft).
    • Quenton Nelson OG (outstanding guard prospect, very low bust potential)
    • Denzel Ward CB (Trendy mock pick, Ohio St. becoming CB U).
    • Tremaine Edmunds LB (Freak athlete for position, only 19 yrs old )

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2018 at 12:28 AM

1 minute ago, G08 said:

This is a good post, I'm going to dig into the top 12 ranked players in terms of sacks and see where they were drafted:

Chandler Jones - 1st round pick

Calais Campbell - 50th overall

DeMarcus Lawrence - 34th overall

Everson Griffin - 100th overall

Cameron Jordan - 24th overall

Ryan Kerrigan - 16th overall

Joey Bosa - 3rd overall

Cameron Heyward - 31st overall

Ezekiel Ansah - 5th overall

Yannick Ngakoue - 69th overall

Julius Peppers - 2nd overall

Terrell Suggs - 10th overall

8 out of 12 were first round picks. 9 out of 12 were taken in the first 34 picks.

The best OGs in Football

Zack Martin-16

David Decastro-22

Brandon Scherff-5

Brandon Brooks-3rd

The Best Cs in Football

Travis Frederick-1st

Markice Pouncey-1st

Alex Mack-1st 

Rodney Hudson-2nd

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I will also say that it would not surprise me if the Bears passed on Nelson and went defense.

There is just a decent chance that it does not work out for them. If Edmunds becomes Leonard Floyd and Nelson becomes Zack Martin in San Francisco then we will be kicking ourselves pretty hard.

It is an odd situation to be in because it is very rare that an OG is the best player in the draft.

I agree with you WindyCity that Nelson is an elite OG and maybe the best prospect in this draft, but there is a reason why he would be available to us at #8. Interior Oline is not that highly regarded. Remember 6 teams have to pass on him before he comes to us. Cleveland twice. And all need oline help. I would have to side with GO8 on his opinion that #8 is to rich for a OG. Also lets not fool ourselves and say Nelson is an Allpro just because he shows up. Olinemen taken higher that #8 have fallen on their face. Robert Gallery, Tony Manderich to name some. Both guys were can't miss prospects.The draft is projecting how that player will rise on the next level.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Who is the top tier pass rusher?

Exactly. We are not talking about a hypothetical situation but rather the available talent in this draft. If you look at all the drafts across 2000-2018 I would lean toward OLG over OG. But this draft is unique so I think we need to view it with a different lens. 

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The best OGs in Football

Zack Martin-16

David Decastro-22

Brandon Scherff-5

Brandon Brooks-3rd

The Best Cs in Football

Travis Frederick-1st

Markice Pouncey-1st

Alex Mack-1st 

Rodney Hudson-2nd

Per PFF:

16th pick: Martin - #1

24th pick: DeCastro - #2

5th pick: Scherff - #8

76th pick: Brooks - #4 (so a 3rd round pick is ranked better than the #5 overall pick)

31st pick: Frederick - #2

18th pick: Pouncey - #22 (this is not a good C for this example, Windy)

21st pick: Mack - #3

55th pick: Hudson -#5

Again... I'm not using a top 8 pick on a guard. Hell, according to this? I'm better off waiting until the second half of the first round and later.

10 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Exactly. We are not talking about a hypothetical situation but rather the available talent in this draft. If you look at all the drafts across 2000-2018 I would lean toward OLG over OG. But this draft is unique so I think we need to view it with a different lens. 

That's up to our scouts and Ryan Pace. If I knew who that player was, dudes, I wouldn't be some dork on a message board :D

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Edmunds and Davenport are very intriguing players, but neither is on the level of Nelson. Nelson is the best player in the entire draft and pretty much has no question marks surrounding him.

That cannot be said for Edmunds and Davenport.

You are accepting significantly more risk with either.

More risk sure, but it is also far more likely you find a good guard with that mid rounder than a dominant pass rusher. 

I posted a few weeks back (paraphrasing) of the top 20 guards in terms of AAV contract value only like 5 were even 1st round picks, let alone top 10 picks, with the vast majority coming from rounds 2-4. Without looking it up (since I should do SOME work at work today) I’m reasonably certain that most the best of the best pass rushers come from the first round. 

So more risk and more reward. 

Also, you mentioned AZ having success after taking Jon Cooper in the top 10. You left out (conveniently?) that he was a colossal bust for them and only resurrected his career after going elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, G08 said:

I'm not saying guards aren't important, I am saying you can find them ANYWHERE if you scout right and develop them properly.

I think using a top 8 pick on a guard is a waste.

Theoretically speaking, if your team scouts right and develops properly then they can find a good player at any position just about anywhere in the draft. 

My main issue with drafting the ND OG is Sitton is playing at a high level.  We'd have to cut him for he pick to make sense.  I wouldn't prefer a hopeful upgrade (no pick is a lock) if we have to use he #8 pick to get younger and maybe / maybe not an upgrade.

10 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

My main issue with drafting the ND OG is Sitton is playing at a high level.  We'd have to cut him for he pick to make sense.  I wouldn't prefer a hopeful upgrade (no pick is a lock) if we have to use he #8 pick to get younger and maybe / maybe not an upgrade.

Sitton may get cut regardless of whether or not the intent is to draft Nelson.  He's getting older, is expensive, and isn't necessarily quick enough to be a fit for a zbs.

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

Sitton may get cut regardless of whether or not the intent is to draft Nelson.  He's getting older, is expensive, and isn't necessarily quick enough to be a fit for a zbs.

Using the #8 pick for his replacement would be expensive.  I think he'll be fine.  I don't want to open up a huge hole just to replace it with the #8 pick.  Especially when were talking about OGs.

30 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

Using the #8 pick for his replacement would be expensive.  I think he'll be fine.  I don't want to open up a huge hole just to replace it with the #8 pick.  Especially when were talking about OGs.

Exactly. Taking Nelson as we sit right now completely takes need out of the equation, and while you don’t base your draft on need you also don’t draft in spite of it. BPA at 8 could be a QB and we aren’t taking one of those. Unless we have a significant roster change our OL need is a need for a starting caliber player for 2019. That’s a depth player for 2018 and a non-starter. It’s a developmental need. Our immediate OL need is outside, not inside, and Nelson doesn’t fill that. If he can then absolutely you take him, but if he can he’s almost certainly not there at 8 and all of this is an exercise in futility. If Nelson is there and he’s BPA and he’s that good then someone will pay to move up to get him and we can get additional picks and a better value on a player we need more than a guard. 

Archived