Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dll2000

Who would you draft at 8? Poll

You have to draft one of these at 8. Who?  

23 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. You have to draft one of these at 8. Draft is today. Who do you take? Rank them.

    • Calvin Ridley WR (Virtually every mock has Bears taking him, majority think he is best WR in draft).
    • Quenton Nelson OG (outstanding guard prospect, very low bust potential)
    • Denzel Ward CB (Trendy mock pick, Ohio St. becoming CB U).
    • Tremaine Edmunds LB (Freak athlete for position, only 19 yrs old )

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2018 at 12:28 AM

Recommended Posts

I'm thinking a trade down would be ideal.

We need to shore up OLB, CB, WR, and OT at minimum. Having 3 picks in the top 50 would be beautiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck I'd be fine with Ridley 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyty said:

Heck I'd be fine with Ridley 

I’d think we could probably get him lower than 8, but I think Ridley is gonna be really good and he’s a PERFECT fit for that Tyreek role. I wouldn’t be mad about it at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2018 at 11:55 AM, WindyCity said:

You can find any position anywhere.

Everson Griffin [4th]

Danielle Hunter [3rd]

Yannick Nchouke [3rd]

Calias Campbell [2nd]

Trey Flowers [4th]

Deatrich Wise [6th]

Brandon Graham [1st]

Vinny Curry [2nd]

Those were the starting edge rusher in the Championship games last weekend. 

Kind of missing a big name playing in the SB from that list of finding any position anywhere.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Did a bunch of mock drafts on Fanspeak taking different guys first and seeing how rest falls out.  
 
It looks like you can best overall talent through 4 rounds if you take Edmunds with no. 8 because of depth of O line and WR positions and you still get a top special blue chip talent at no. 8.  Problem with Edmunds is if you try to shoehorn him in as an edge rusher he may bust in a position change.  
 
Here is an example:
 
8: R1P8
 
LB TREMAINE EDMUNDS
VIRGINIA TECH
 
ILB is hardly a position of need if you are thinking of bringing back both Freeman and Trevathan, but possible generational talent is hard to pass.  Also more bust potential and learning curve than you would like if you plan to move him to rush LB. 
 
39: R2P7 
 
OT ORLANDO BROWN 
OKLAHOMA
 
Probably doesn't have foot speed to be a great tackle, but he doesn't have bad feet and is so huge and long he takes a long time to get around even if he is beat with speed rush.  Power is immense and will grow with time.  Not as great a knee bender as you would like.  Big upside.  
 
Also possible you can get guards Wynn, Hernandez or Price depending on how board falls if you were toying with idea of taking a guard and cutting Long or Sitton or simply adding interior depth.  4 guards have first or early second round grades (Nelson is other, but is supposed to go top 10).  Tackle is harder to find and we do have Long and Sitton as iffy as they are so I like idea of taking a Tackle. 
 
If you wanted to go WR here you can probably get a Kirk or Washington or Sutton depending on your fancy (not a Sutton fan).  I think you can get a WR with one or both of the 4's and FA.  
 
  
 
 
107: R4P5 
 
WR ANTHONY MILLER
MEMPHIS
 
If you wait until 4th on receiver guys like Miller are available.  Highly productive and talented.
 
117: R4P15
 
CB DONTE JACKSON
LSU
 
I watched this guy a little bit today.  He's small which will hurt him, but looks crazy fast on tape.  So I doubt he is available here after combine like he is now in these mocks.  People love really fast combine times.  Guessing he will start shooting up later in process.  Would love to get him here.  
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edmunds is raw, but you can play him at ILB and OLB if you really want... or you could just tell the kid to rush the passer every down and occasionally drop into a zone.

Too much talent there, IMO, to pass up for a Quentin Nelson or a Denzel Ward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, G08 said:

Edmunds is raw, but you can play him at ILB and OLB if you really want... or you could just tell the kid to rush the passer every down and occasionally drop into a zone.

Too much talent there, IMO, to pass up for a Quentin Nelson or a Denzel Ward.

 

I did this poll awhile ago now, but at this point I still think it is going to come down to one of those four at 8.  Nelson and Edmunds are the top talents at their positions and maybe two best prospects at their positions in years, but neither are a position of need for Bears.  Heck, if Barkley were suddenly there it would be same deal.  Guy is probably better than anything you have, but what you have is pretty good and you have dire needs elsewhere.  Tough spot to be in (which is why trade down is looking desirable).  

Of course last year my four most probable choices for Bears were in order Thomas, Lattimore, Adams, Hooker.  So who knows?  Bears snowed me by talking up Glennon and then clinched it when they announced Glennon would announce the draft pick.  Who was thinking QB at 4 or a trade up to 3?  They fooled a lot of people.  Sure everyone here knew all along.  I at least thought Mitch was the QB to take if they took one.  Actually glad they did.  I think it was right move.  Just didn't think they had it in them.  While that was right move, wrong move was signing Glennon in first place and even when they did they should have started Mitch from day one and gave him all reps and attention in mini and training camps.  Not wasted all that time teaching Glennon a new system and having Mitch watch.  I digress.    

I agree with you that you take Edmunds over Nelson, Ward or Ridley at no. 8.  Somehow I don't think Bears agree though.  I don't know if I can see Pace taking Edmunds at 8 since he didn't play OLB in college and he has Trevathan and Freeman at ILB.  If it's me I take Edmunds or trade.  It's not me though.  

I think if Chubb falls to 8, Bears sprint to podium unless they get fantastic trade offer, but I don't think there is any way Chubb falls that far.  Stranger things have happened I guess.  

I also agree with you that a trade down is the best option which would get you another first and possibly fill 2 needs rather than filling no need albeit with a great player.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The consensus mock in the draft forum right now has it going:

 

1. CLE- Darnold-QB

2.NYG- Rosen-QB

3. IND- Chubb-DE

4. CLE- Barkley-RB

5. Den- Nelson-OG

6. NYJ- Mayfield-QB

7. Tampa- Fitzpatrick-S* (voting still going on but he's ahead by a ton)

That basically puts us with Roquan Smith-ILB, Edmunds-ILB/OLB, Davenport-OLB,  Vea-DL, or Ridley-WR... Maybe Jackson-CB if his combine goes well...

Gotta say of that list, unless Edmunds/Davenport/Jackson absolutely blow the combine away, I don't really see any way we don't take Ridley. Though I'd still love to see Vea on our team too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will honestly be fairly shocked if its Ridley.  Pace seems to like to be a bit off beat and that is the consensus media expected pick.  It was expected that he would take White or Cooper, whoever fell, in his first draft but since then he has surprised in early rounds and media has been way off base.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

 

I did this poll awhile ago now, but at this point I still think it is going to come down to one of those four at 8.  Nelson and Edmunds are the top talents at their positions and maybe two best prospects at their positions in years, but neither are a position of need for Bears.  Heck, if Barkley were suddenly there it would be same deal.  Guy is probably better than anything you have, but what you have is pretty good and you have dire needs elsewhere.  Tough spot to be in (which is why trade down is looking desirable).  

Of course last year my four most probable choices for Bears were in order Thomas, Lattimore, Adams, Hooker.  So who knows?  Bears snowed me by talking up Glennon and then clinched it when they announced Glennon would announce the draft pick.  Who was thinking QB at 4 or a trade up to 3?  They fooled a lot of people.  Sure everyone here knew all along.  I at least thought Mitch was the QB to take if they took one.  Actually glad they did.  I think it was right move.  Just didn't think they had it in them.  While that was right move, wrong move was signing Glennon in first place and even when they did they should have started Mitch from day one and gave him all reps and attention in mini and training camps.  Not wasted all that time teaching Glennon a new system and having Mitch watch.  I digress.    

I agree with you that you take Edmunds over Nelson, Ward or Ridley at no. 8.  Somehow I don't think Bears agree though.  I don't know if I can see Pace taking Edmunds at 8 since he didn't play OLB in college and he has Trevathan and Freeman at ILB.  If it's me I take Edmunds or trade.  It's not me though.  

I think if Chubb falls to 8, Bears sprint to podium unless they get fantastic trade offer, but I don't think there is any way Chubb falls that far.  Stranger things have happened I guess.  

I also agree with you that a trade down is the best option which would get you another first and possibly fill 2 needs rather than filling no need albeit with a great player.  

I think really values traits in his first round picks... you don't see a lot of 6'5" 250 lbs 19 year olds that fly around like he does. Last time Pace saw someone similar, he traded up from 11 to 9 in order to draft him.

Not saying he trades up here, but I'm of the opinion Freeman is gone, Trevathan isn't here for much longer, and Kwiatkoski is a solid backup.

Gun to my head, give me Edmunds or a corner at #8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Epyon said:

The consensus mock in the draft forum right now has it going:

 

1. CLE- Darnold-QB

2.NYG- Rosen-QB

3. IND- Chubb-DE

4. CLE- Barkley-RB

5. Den- Nelson-OG

6. NYJ- Mayfield-QB

7. Tampa- Fitzpatrick-S* (voting still going on but he's ahead by a ton)

That basically puts us with Roquan Smith-ILB, Edmunds-ILB/OLB, Davenport-OLB,  Vea-DL, or Ridley-WR... Maybe Jackson-CB if his combine goes well...

Gotta say of that list, unless Edmunds/Davenport/Jackson absolutely blow the combine away, I don't really see any way we don't take Ridley. Though I'd still love to see Vea on our team too.

 

Edmunds, Jackson, and Davenport are the only 3 I would be looking at there I think. Edmunds can be a hybrid player and a massive chesspiece for Fangio, pairing with Floyd could be great for both of them. Davenport might be a special EDGE (worth their weight in gold in the NFL) and Jackson is IMO clearly the best CB in this draft. Ridley is a great prospect at WR, but isn't a Jones, Megatron, etc to me. So I just have a hard time taking him that high. You can skate by with decent options at WR with a good run game and scheme, but if you have a bad starting CB or lack pass rush you are potentially crippling your defense. Plus there seem to be a host of solid prospects at WR even if there isn't an elite talent, the drop off behind the top 2-3 at CB and EDGE seems much bigger to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

 

Edmunds, Jackson, and Davenport are the only 3 I would be looking at there I think. Edmunds can be a hybrid player and a massive chesspiece for Fangio, pairing with Floyd could be great for both of them. Davenport might be a special EDGE (worth their weight in gold in the NFL) and Jackson is IMO clearly the best CB in this draft. Ridley is a great prospect at WR, but isn't a Jones, Megatron, etc to me. So I just have a hard time taking him that high. You can skate by with decent options at WR with a good run game and scheme, but if you have a bad starting CB or lack pass rush you are potentially crippling your defense. Plus there seem to be a host of solid prospects at WR even if there isn't an elite talent, the drop off behind the top 2-3 at CB and EDGE seems much bigger to me.

I really think after the combine that Harold Landry is gonna be in that conversation. He’s gonna test out as a Floyd-level athlete. His bend off the edge is ELITE, and his 2016 tape is as good or better than any 3-4 edge rusher in this draft. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
Autocorrect fail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I really think after the combine that Harold Landry is gonna be in that conversation. He’s gonna test out as a Floyd-level athlete. His bend off the edge is ELITE, and his 2016 tape is as good or better than any 3-4 edge rusher in this draft. 

The only thing I don't like about Landry is his size. I think he has a weak upper/lower body and is too reliant on his speed and bending the corner. He can beat an OT cleanly at the snap but all that dude had to do is throw his hand out and Landry will fall off balance. 

He reminds me of a weaker Vic Beasley (I loved Beasley) which makes me think he's not worth it at 8. Trade down? Sure. 

Edited by G08

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One scenario I see absolutely no one covering is what if Cousins goes to Cleveland.  From a football prospective the browns could pay him more than anyone else.  Good Oline HOF LT.  the draft picks they have plus look at the division in two years Rothelburger old he will retire Joe Falco sucks Andy Dolton sucks.  The division is set to turn over and the browns with all those picks and cap space are poised to take advantage.

1 Browns : HB Barkely: Captain Kirk gets the best RB in the draft and the browns have a hell of a back field Barkley and duke Johnson

2 giants: Darnold: sits a year or less behind eli

3 colts: Connor Williams LT: Colts are a stupid franchise with smug owner.  I know the media puts Chubb here because of BPA and the colt's pass rush needs improvement but protecting Luck is the top priority there are always surprises and I think this is the first one.  The question becomes if Chubb gets past the colts and Pace covets him does he trade up like he did for Floyd and Tru?

4 Browns: WR Calvin Ridley: Gordon, Coleman, Ridley that Miami TE with a powerhouse back field and a strong oline.  Hello Capt. Kirk

5 Broncos: Rosen

6 Jets: Mayfield

7 Bucs: chubb

8 bears: LB Edmunds: he can fill two needs on defense.  rush OLB on passing downs and ILB on 1st and 2nd.  He'll have a YUGE impact on the is defense as a rookie and being able to blitz from inside and outside will cause protection schemes trouble.       

Edited by Rogerthat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To all the people who want Edmunds to play OLB and rush the QB against OTs,  have you seen him do this in games?  If so what did you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×