Wes' Mock Draft V.2

VigilantZombie

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I'm planning on doing a third mock but I wanted to get a lot of input on what people thought about different people different prospects and what I did with my first month obviously. I haven't watched as many of these players to be honest so a lot of what I'm talking about I'm getting from other supposedly professional analysts who have done their homework on these players.

I am going to try to do a few more mocks this year as well. I am going to start looking at some prospects that I believe would benefit the Steelers. Hitman 2.0 will be coming out soon as well.

5 hours ago, wwhickok said:

There isn't really another safety out there, unless they're going to go out and get Brent Grimes to play safety or someone of that nature, anyway that I feel like is drastically better than Mike Mitchell.

The Steelers are big on developing second and third tier free agents. They are not as expensive, but often go under the radar.  They spent money on Mitchell and even La Darius Green, but that is not typical and the results were not as big as well.  You seem to like Brent Grimes and I would have loved the pick six years ago. He was a very solid CB. At this point, he should be 34 or 35 and probably a glorified version of William Gay. I would explore other options before even remotely considering signing Grimes. Here are a few that the Steelers may/could consider:

Tre Boston 6'1 205 FS LA Chargers - - This former Panther had a very good year with the Chargers. He will be one of the most sought after free agents at his position.  I am sure that he will be looking to get paid serious $$$$ after having such a strong year and a limited class of  UFA FS to choose from.  Huge upgrade from what we have here and probably helps Sean Davis play more in the box where he seemed to be more effective.  He showed a knack for getting to the ball and displayed some decent range at FS. Instantly we are better in the back end.

Adrian Phillips 5'11 210 FS/SS LA Chargers - - More of a SS, but our safeties are pretty interchangeable.  He had a good year coming off the bench and filling in a few games as a starter.  I see some potential here and the price  tag shouldn't kill us.  I thought that JJ Wilcox was going to have an impact in our defense as well, but he has more pass coverage ability than JJ. Phillips was a high draft pick and still has a lot of football in front of him. This is the type of guy the Steelers can turn into a solid player on their team. I was wrong about Wilcox being a big hitter in our defense, hopefully he could be that rangy FS that we need.

LaMarcus Joyner  5'8 190 FS LA Rams - - Built similar to Bob Sanders (on the smaller side), and not quite as physical or gifted in my opinion. His best days are probably in front of him.  He will be looking to get paid, but not so sure the market will accommodate. He demonstrated some range this year at FS, but I am a little afraid of him getting injured.  However, I think he would be an upgrade over Mitchell at this point.

Eric Reid  6'1 215 SS SF 49'ers - - He is from Ryan Clark's alma mater LSU and can, run, hit and has a high football IQ. I would not foresee the same issues and politics of the subjects and awareness he was trying to protest being demonstrated in the same way here. As some have expressed a concern over that. Politics aside, he is one heck of a football player when healthy. He is probably looking to get paid well, but he is worth the money.  He could do for us what Ryan Clark did for our defense in the early years teamed with Troy Polamalu. Because the Steelers safeties are pretty interchangeable, Reid and Davis could be pretty dynamic. Reid has better than average coverage ability and is a solid tackler.

10 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

The Steelers are big on developing second and third tier free agents. They are not as expensive, but often go under the radar.  They spent money on Mitchell and even La Darius Green, but that is not typical and the results were not as big as well.  You seem to like Brent Grimes and I would have loved the pick six years ago. He was a very solid CB. At this point, he should be 34 or 35 and probably a glorified version of William Gay. I would explore other options before even remotely considering signing Grimes. Here are a few that the Steelers may/could consider:

Tre Boston 6'1 205 FS LA Chargers - - This former Panther had a very good year with the Chargers. He will be one of the most sought after free agents at his position.  I am sure that he will be looking to get paid serious $$$$ after having such a strong year and a limited class of  UFA FS to choose from.  Huge upgrade from what we have here and probably helps Sean Davis play more in the box where he seemed to be more effective.  He showed a knack for getting to the ball and displayed some decent range at FS. Instantly we are better in the back end.

Adrian Phillips 5'11 210 FS/SS LA Chargers - - More of a SS, but our safeties are pretty interchangeable.  He had a good year coming off the bench and filling in a few games as a starter.  I see some potential here and the price  tag shouldn't kill us.  I thought that JJ Wilcox was going to have an impact in our defense as well, but he has more pass coverage ability than JJ. Phillips was a high draft pick and still has a lot of football in front of him. This is the type of guy the Steelers can turn into a solid player on their team. I was wrong about Wilcox being a big hitter in our defense, hopefully he could be that rangy FS that we need.

LaMarcus Joyner  5'8 190 FS LA Rams - - Built similar to Bob Sanders (on the smaller side), and not quite as physical or gifted in my opinion. His best days are probably in front of him.  He will be looking to get paid, but not so sure the market will accommodate. He demonstrated some range this year at FS, but I am a little afraid of him getting injured.  However, I think he would be an upgrade over Mitchell at this point.

Eric Reid  6'1 215 SS SF 49'ers - - He is from Ryan Clark's alma mater LSU and can, run, hit and has a high football IQ. I would not foresee the same issues and politics of the subjects and awareness he was trying to protest being demonstrated in the same way here. As some have expressed a concern over that. Politics aside, he is one heck of a football player when healthy. He is probably looking to get paid well, but he is worth the money.  He could do for us what Ryan Clark did for our defense in the early years teamed with Troy Polamalu. Because the Steelers safeties are pretty interchangeable, Reid and Davis could be pretty dynamic. Reid has better than average coverage ability and is a solid tackler.

I am all for bringing him in!

19 hours ago, jebrick said:

I think the Steelers sign a ILB FA.  They can't have a hole in the lineup before the draft.

No doubt. We will have someone else here with experience. It is a must for our defense. Our ILB's are all more back-ups than starters.  I have always rooted for Sean Spence to recover from his injury, but he never recovered to what we expected of him.  I did think that he would be much better than he was after the years that he spent in this defense. In any event, we need a starting caliber ILB through free agency and at least one to draft.

Archived