Buffalo's Scouting Ideology

BobbyBelt

Good evening, Bills Mafia.

I've been working on a project recently and just finished the Buffalo portion, which I thought might be of some interest to all of you. I’m charting the front offices, draft history, and athletic thresholds of all 32 NFL teams.

Since Buffalo has almost an entirely new staff in the war room, I took what Brandon Beane did in Carolina and Buffalo, Joe Schoen did in Miami, and Marvin Allen did in Kansas City between 2014-2017. Then I averaged those out to get positional prototypes, and set minimum and apex thresholds for each position.

If you’re at all interested in it, you can check out all of it in the link below, updated with Senior Bowl measurements against the thresholds (40 times are NFL Draft Scout estimates). No thresholds for centers of tackles, as there weren’t enough drafted to create a consensus (I need at least three picked for sample).

I'll continue to update this as Pro Day and Combine data becomes available.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RR_u_ZqwC52noZFWkkRQR6JSP3CaABJq

Oh, and here are the best Senior Bowl fits at each position when cross-referenced against Buffalo's thresholds...

QB – Josh Allen
RB – Kalen Ballage
WR – James Washington
TE – Mike Gesicki
OG – Cole Madison

EDGE – Chad Thomas
DT – Greg Gilmore
LB – Marquis Haynes
CB – D’montre Wade
S – Trayvon Henderson

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/01/2018 at 2:30 AM, BobbyBelt said:

Oh, and here are the best Senior Bowl fits at each position when cross-referenced against Buffalo's thresholds...

QB – Josh Allen
RB – Kalen Ballage
WR – James Washington
TE – Mike Gesicki
OG – Cole Madison

EDGE – Chad Thomas
DT – Greg Gilmore
LB – Marquis Haynes
CB – D’montre Wade
S – Trayvon Henderson

How can taking a guy who needs to sit behind a veteran for a couple of years be a good fit at QB when you don't have a veteran to sit behind nor have a coach with a record of QB development?

Josh Allen is just about the WORST fit for the Bills at QB

On 2/10/2018 at 11:42 AM, BigMountainGoat said:

How can taking a guy who needs to sit behind a veteran for a couple of years be a good fit at QB when you don't have a veteran to sit behind nor have a coach with a record of QB development?

Josh Allen is just about the WORST fit for the Bills at QB

These aren't scheme fits, these are the best fits for their athletic traits when cross-referenced against what Buffalo's staff has looked for at the position during their other stops. That's all, not saying it's a fit on anything else other than build/athleticism.

9 hours ago, BobbyBelt said:

These aren't scheme fits, these are the best fits for their athletic traits when cross-referenced against what Buffalo's staff has looked for at the position during their other stops. That's all, not saying it's a fit on anything else other than build/athleticism.

McDermott has never drafted a QB and Daboll has worked with a variety. You don't have enough statistical evidence to back up your claims, furthermore of course Allen is the most athletically suited, he is by far the most physically talented QB in the class, but athleticism is a small part of draft evaluation.

So you're basing it on a tiny source size, and dubious logic.

11 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

McDermott has never drafted a QB and Daboll has worked with a variety. You don't have enough statistical evidence to back up your claims, furthermore of course Allen is the most athletically suited, he is by far the most physically talented QB in the class, but athleticism is a small part of draft evaluation.

So you're basing it on a tiny source size, and dubious logic.

Why are you attacking this guy, take it easy man lol. Did you read the data doc in his original post at all?

He doesn't only use McDermott and Daboll. Those are just two small pieces of the puzzle. Beane is at the top, followed by a handful of others. Open the doc, view the Staff Chart. 

His data is just showing the history of the particular staff members tendencies when looking at a prospect they've taken in the past. 

2 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

Why are you attacking this guy, take it easy man lol. Did you read the data doc in his original post at all?

He doesn't only use McDermott and Daboll. Those are just two small pieces of the puzzle. Beane is at the top, followed by a handful of others. Open the doc, view the Staff Chart. 

His data is just showing the history of the particular staff members tendencies when looking at a prospect they've taken in the past. 

I'm not attacking him, I admire anyone putting in the effort. But there is no wrong with challenging illogical points that are pretty much pointless and irrelevant to what will happen in the draft. You can find data to support any point you want to make, doesn't mean all data is useful

Archived