Alex Smith to be traded to Washington for 3rd round pick and CB Kendall Fuller; agrees to extension

Apparition

On 2/2/2018 at 12:20 PM, CWood21 said:

I don't see anything in there that answer it one way or the other.  Using the Josh Norman situation, they rescinded the franchise tag on April 20th.  Presumably this was done so the Panthers could receive a compensatory pick.  The Panthers ended up getting that compensatory pick for Norman.  That was a full month AFTER FA opened, so the Panthers rescinded the franchise tag AND still received a compensatory pick.

I believe it was because Norman never signed the tag.

18 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Cousins just gained a huge fan in me after this entire ordeal. The way he handled everything from a professional standpoint. He said everything perfectly on the NFL Network interview yesterday as well. What a good dude. The guy is definitely a franchise QB in my eyes. He's going to have had a good career when it's all said and done....

He's not a bad dude I can say that for sure 

16 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:
On 2/2/2018 at 12:20 PM, CWood21 said:

I don't see anything in there that answer it one way or the other.  Using the Josh Norman situation, they rescinded the franchise tag on April 20th.  Presumably this was done so the Panthers could receive a compensatory pick.  The Panthers ended up getting that compensatory pick for Norman.  That was a full month AFTER FA opened, so the Panthers rescinded the franchise tag AND still received a compensatory pick.

@CWood21 (don't know if you get alerted if I quote a quote of you or not)

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22315705/washington-redskins-consider-placing-franchise-tag-kirk-cousins

First off, stupidity time. The Redskins are apparently actually considering this farce. Honestly, I have no idea what they are doing beyond completely shortsightedly thinking that they can magic up a high draft pick:

Redskins coach Jay Gruden did not give Cousins a sense that the team would use its franchise tag on him when the two spoke last week, but others connected to the team insist that Washington is considering it. They believe it is nothing more than a business decision, a way for the team to try to get back at least the third-round pick it is trading to Kansas City for Smith.

They're morons if they think they can get anywhere near this. Actually, they are the Morons, so I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise to me.

Second (same article):

If Washington decided to pull the franchise tag to get Cousins' contract off its salary cap, it would lose the right to recoup a 2019 compensatory draft pick that it would get if Cousins were able to leave right away as a free agent. So tagging Cousins would undoubtedly carry risk.

I thought that was the case. However, the Panthers did get a compensatory pick in the 2016 draft. Could that have been for someone else they lost?

18 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

That's the point we're talking about.  If he signs the franchise tag, he immediately becomes guaranteed the $34M for 2018.  IF he signs the tag, they can't rescind the tag and would have to release him and incur the $34M in dead cap.  That's not going to happen, and since he's not a "natural" FA he's exempt from the compensatory pick process.  If he doesn't sign the tag, he was never officially guaranteed that money so they can rescind it and still be eligible to receive a compensatory pick for him.  The Panthers did the same thing with Josh Norman a few years ago as precendent that we have to go off of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woz said:

First off, stupidity time. The Redskins are apparently actually considering this farce. Honestly, I have no idea what they are doing beyond completely shortsightedly thinking that they can magic up a high draft pick:

They don't have to get a high pick for it to be considered a success IMO.  Based on the time value of money for me, getting anything that is a 4th round pick or higher THIS year would be considered a win for me.  And something else that needs to be noted, IF they let Kirk Cousins walk as a FA and they want to receive that 3rd round compensatory pick, they're restricted from signing any major FA since those two FA signings would cancel each other out.  That's the major part of the equation that I think gets overlooked.  I honestly didn't think about it until I read your response.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

I thought that was the case. However, the Panthers did get a compensatory pick in the 2016 draft. Could that have been for someone else they lost?

https://overthecap.com/2017-compensatory-draft-picks-update-5102016/

To put it bluntly, no.  OTC shared a similar situation back in 2002 when the Eagles rescinded the franchise tag on Jeremiah Trotter but still received a compensatory pick the next year.  Schefter is pretty good with news, but I don't honestly expect him to know or understand the intricacies of the compensatory pick process. 

• 1 month later...