BREAKING:REDSKINS TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH

mar29020

11 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Smith is anything but clutch. He plays for an offensive genius who put him in position to overcome his weaknesses ( throwing anything more than 10 yards) by emphasizing passes to RB and TE and a string running game, great special teams and a strong defense to win games. He’s not the worst QB, but he doesn’t fit Gruden downfield approach at all. I expect this will be at best another 7-9 team that keeps Gruden and Bruce employed year after year 

Look, I’m as upset about losing Kirk and Fuller an anyone but having Smith as our starter for the immediate future is very likely the best scenario we could have. He’s 50-26 over the last 4 years in Kansas City. Two years before that he had the 49ers in the NFC Championship game and looking back on it all now I’m sure the 49ers wished they had kept him as their starting qb. That may not be clutch lol tge time but it’s not like he doesn’t win either.

The Redskins will likely be in the same range they’ve been the last 3 years, a 7 to 9 win season with Smith as our starter. A lot of rest depends on Reed, Thompson and TWill’s health, if we get a starting caliber running back and if our defense is healthier next year and improved through free agency and the draft.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Look, I’m as upset about losing Kirk and Fuller an anyone but having Smith as our starter for the immediate future is very likely the best scenario we could have. He’s 50-26 over the last 4 years in Kansas City. Two years before that he had the 49ers in the NFC Championship game and looking back on it all now I’m sure the 49ers wished they had kept him as their starting qb. That may not be clutch lol tge time but it’s not like he doesn’t win either.

The Redskins will likely be in the same range they’ve been the last 3 years, a 7 to 9 win season with Smith as our starter. A lot of rest depends on Reed, Thompson and TWill’s health, if we get a starting caliber running back and if our defense is healthier next year and improved through free agency and the draft.

Losing fuller hurt but I'm assuming skins find a reliable replacement . I think we could go corner first round . 

Which is funny because I remember McKnight writing about us needing a corner lol

6 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Let's build the D I have faith in our other corners .i was gonna say let's draft a corner in the first round . But Dunbar is back .

Yeah, I agree on building the D and we also need to find a starting RB. I do have faith that Norman can rebound after a down year probably mostly because of his rib injury and that Dunny, Moreau and Holsey can develop. Fuller sure did develop from year one to two, there’s nothing to say that Moreau won’t make the same jump and be our starting corner in September.

1 minute ago, Dashing202 said:

Losing fuller hurt but I'm assuming skins find a reliable replacement . I think we could go corner first round . 

Which is funny because I remember McKnight writing about us needing a corner lol

Going corner in round 1 would be a mistake if Ridley, Payne, Guice or Roquan Smith are on the board. We drafted Moreau for the same reason we drafted Fuller, both had 1st round talent but they fell to round 3 because of injury. I truly believe that Moreau can make the same jump in development that Breeland and Fuller made before him and I’m confident in Dunny too. Dunny hasn’t been too far off from Breeland in coverage the last few years, but he has better hands.

Ok so, because I like to think of best possible scenarios (albeit Redskins don’t end up fulfilling those kinds of prophesies), I have a scenario for you all.

Lets say that Kirk does break the bank in FA and gets the deal he wants, say a 5 year 140+Mill deal. We signed a player for essentially a 5 year 110+Mill deal. 

It was widely assumed the best we could do was tag Cousins for one more year. That a contract extension could not be reached in Washington. Now I’m never going to argue with anyone that says the Cousins is better than Smith. However if you would like to argue if he is “30 million over 5 years” better, we can talk.

So let’s say the unthinkable happens and the Redskins use the gained cap space (difference between Transition tag for Cousins and Smiths 2018 salary is approx 8mill) and additional available cap space (I believe I read 65mill-Alex Smiths 20.4=44.6 mill) to sign lets say, Bennie Logan and either Allen Robinson/Jarvis Landry. We could also resign Zach Brown to the deal he is worth.

Now we are looking at a situation where going into the draft, we may be in a position to draft Fitzpatrick or Jackson to be our new starting/slot CB. Or even to trade down into the range of drafting other quality talent like, Roquan Smith, Quenton Nelson, Vita Vea, DaRon Payne, Derrius Guice, etc.

Realistically I could see our offense/defense looking something like this:

QB: Smith

RB: Perine/Thompson

TE: Jordan Reed/Vernon Davis

WR: Allen Robinson, Josh Doctson, Jamison Crowder, Sammy Watkins

OT: Trent Williams, Morgan Moses

OG: Brandon Scherff, (Draft Pick or FA)

C: Chase Roullier

DE: Jon Allen, Matt Ioniddis 

NT: Bennie Logan

OLB: Preston Smith, Ryan Kerrigan

ILB: Zach Brown, Mason Foster

CB: Josh Norman, Quinton Dunbar

Slot: Minkah Fitzpatrick

FS: Monte Nicholson

SS: DJ Swearinger

I think this team could do as good, if not better than the current season put forth by the Redskins.

Basically what I am saying is that, just because we aren’t happy that the team is making decisions we would not make, doesn’t mean that all hope is lost or that we should go bury our heads in the sand. 

You never know what tomorrow brings.

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I agree on building the D and we also need to find a starting RB. I do have faith that Norman can rebound after a down year probably mostly because of his rib injury and that Dunny, Moreau and Holsey can develop. Fuller sure did develop from year one to two, there’s nothing to say that Moreau won’t make the same jump and be our starting corner in September.

Breeland will come back imo to play the slot . Like Lavar said he will cost money but the skins are high on him I bet .

42 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Going corner in round 1 would be a mistake if Ridley, Payne, Guice or Roquan Smith are on the board. We drafted Moreau for the same reason we drafted Fuller, both had 1st round talent but they fell to round 3 because of injury. I truly believe that Moreau can make the same jump in development that Breeland and Fuller made before him and I’m confident in Dunny too. Dunny hasn’t been too far off from Breeland in coverage the last few years, but he has better hands.

I agree 

33 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

@SteveGalloNFL

It goes without saying but Washington isn't just gonna let Kirk walk for nothing. They are attempting to do a sign & trade deal with him.

huh a sign and trade ? How tho 

We have the cap room to tag and trade Kirk because Alex Smith’s deal isn’t official yet, and neither is the trade for Smith. 

Archived