BREAKING:REDSKINS TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH

mar29020

10 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

But I trust you to be a good poster and stifle your instincts a bit. Just like I stifle my IRL salty language when I'm on this board (I'm closer to @Doc Draper IRL).

This is honestly my heaven. Webby is going to get alot more clicks from me watching this all unfold. I promise to be around to stir the pot provide my opinion

5 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

@SteveGalloNFL

It goes without saying but Washington isn't just gonna let Kirk walk for nothing. They are attempting to do a sign & trade deal with him.

huh a sign and trade ? How tho 

Snyder is channeling his inner Jerry Jones, that's all.

This won't happen because Cousins isn't signing a long term contract unless he wants to go to that team. No team is trading for him unless it's worked out ahead of time. 

So unless a Team is going to Franchise him again via Trade, it's not happening. I am curious though. How would a New Teams Franchise Tag work? Is it counted consecutively along with Washington's? Or would it start New with a different Franchise?

In the end Cousins was never coming back to Washington. I've said that from the jump 2 years ago. IMO this is basically a lateral move for Washington to get competent QB play for the next 3-4 years. Something you weren't Guaranteed when drafting a Rookie. You're paying him what, 7-10M less then the Cousins Tag # would of been? I really don't think this is as bad as some are making it out to be.

Stop looking at this as a Cousins>>>Smith and more towards a 

Smith>>>>2nd/3rd/4th best Rookie QB (fill in blanks) with the #13Pick?

I hate it.

Smith had:

an excellent TE (that was healthy)....
a run game that was first in yards/attempt (Skins 30th)...
an excellent WR in Hill...
15th ranked DEF... Skins 27th.

Please don't tell me he's going to duplicate his 2017 stats in D.C. He's four years older than Kirk and will be coming in to a new system. They're essentially the same QB, Smith a bit more athletic, but older. And, of course, our best young defensive player... 

So now we need a safety, NT, ILB, and CB. I'm sure all that cap savings will take care of that... SMH.

This has 7-9 and 8-8 all over it for the next few seasons. I'd rather see the Skins tank as opposed to kicking the can down the road.

36 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Stop looking at this as a Cousins>>>Smith and more towards a 

Smith>>>>2nd/3rd/4th best Rookie QB (fill in blanks) with the #13Pick?

Smith is, what, 34? How many "good" years does he have left? On a team that isn't as good as KC? KC's defense is good. Ours is not. 

7 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Breeland will come back imo to play the slot . Like Lavar said he will cost money but the skins are high on him I bet .

Maybe, it depends on the cost for me. I’m not down for giving Breeland a contract that’s going to make him one of the highest paid corners in the nfl and on the open market he might get that. If we can get Bree back at like $8 million a year or less, I’d be for re-signing him but I still say that whe kept Dunny to replace Bree - and I think Dunny can replace Bree - and we drafted Moreau who has a lot of upside to be a starting corner and has more speed than the rest of our corners.

The lack of speed at our corner position hurt us at times last year, if Moreau develops and takes the next step this year like Bree & Fuller did in the past, Moreau solves our lack of speed problem at the starting corner position, at least on one side.

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

This won't happen because Cousins isn't signing a long term contract unless he wants to go to that team. No team is trading for him unless it's worked out ahead of time. 

If we do tag Cousins and he refuses to accept a trade, he will rot on the bench for 28 Mill. It is in his best interest to work out a deal.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Smith is, what, 34? How many "good" years does he have left? On a team that isn't as good as KC? KC's defense is good. Ours is not. 

Smith is not an old 34 though like a Ben Roethlisberger for example. 

When you watch Smith play and run around you’d think he was 24, not 34. He’s very athletic still and a savvy vet in the pocket who can extend plays well and make plays outside of the pocket.

I’ll concede that the Redskins team as a whole isn’t as good as KC’s mostly because our running game has sucked, but as the KC fan has posted for several pages their defense was as bad as our defense last year and arguably worse. 

So, at worse next year our team is the same, 7 or 8 wins, but it’s likely that our team will be more healthy next year, that our young players will develop more and take the next step and that we will find a good running back and a few other good players in free agency in the draft. 

I think if the Redskins defense had been healthy all season last year that it would have ended up being better than the Chiefs defense and if our OL and Reed has been more healthy our passing offense would have been better also.

So, I say at worse we are equal to what we were in 2017 but we’ll likely be better with the extra $5 to 10 million in cap space, most likely staying healthier, having our young players develop more and with our other new additions in the draft and free agency.

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Yeah, Fuller was great, by far our best DB last year and I can agree when thinking about it that he was our best defender also.

I don’t think they wanted to trade Kendall Fuller but I think it became a bidding war and in order to get Smith they decided to make the trade because we do still have 3 young corners developing in house that they like and clearly could draft another one at some point.

I mean, let’s think of the alternative?

I personally would rather have Smith starting than Mccoy and it seems we are out of the running for the top few Qbs w/o trading up and 2 of them I’m not even sold on.

And as many have pointed out for months, the Cousins/Redskins marriage was going to end in a divorce very likely this offseason.

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We can't sign and trade Cousins, it would wreck our Cap.  All of the pro-rated bonus money would come due immediately.  Trading him is not possible.  

What bonus money? Is that true is you tag Kirk and trade him?

Archived