BREAKING:REDSKINS TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH

mar29020

I really do not have much to add to this thread atm.I would rather have KF and the pick with McCoy starting tbh.To me KC and AS are the same.KC never showed up for a game the team had to win.And AS is just a plain stupid move.At this point I believe I would be a better team president than BA.

Just now, Jeezy Fanatic said:

So he has guaranteed money for 4 seasons? I'd be willing to bet he doesn't see the last 2 seasons and we take the cap hit and bring in some rookie who busts.

Apparently $71M of the $96M is guaranteed. Now what kind of guarantee and when it applies? That is unknown at this time.

This is so heartbreakingly funny. From DraftTek.com's Consensus Mock Draft (done shortly before the trade was announced):

13. Washington, QB Josh Allen, Wyoming, -13 reach

This NFL offseason is going to be fascinating. More than ever, we are going to see sweeping changes across the professional football landscape. While there's change each and every year, this time is different. Why, exactly, you ask? According to most scouts, there are four QBs worthy of Top-15 picks, and there are 6 QB-needy teams selecting in the top 15. Still wondering why this year is special? Here's the kicker; there will be at least 5 starting-caliber veteran QBs that will be available (either in FA or via trade) this offseason between Cousins, A. Smith, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford, T. Taylor, and Foles. That has never happened before. Not even close.

While QB-needy teams are usually bidding for (and severely overpaying for) McCown or Glennon-type backups, there will be at least 5 real-life starting QBs on new teams come March 14th. The top of the First Round will be entirely dependent on who opts for a veteran and who waits for the draft.

With all that said, landing the raw-but-born-to-play-quarterback Josh Allen (who by the way showed tremendous growth through Senior Bowl Week) would be a huge coup for the Redskins. Losing Kirk Cousins to Free Agency is going to be a massive black eye on an organization that could've signed a Top-12 QB for $19M per year for 5 years just two offseasons ago.

Landing a top talent like Allen in a QB-friendly system, with a QB-friendly Head Coach...Oh...and all of that cap savings to boot? The Redskins would be looking like they've saved what started as a disaster of an offseason.

**EDIT: UGH! Late on Tuesday evening (1/30), the Redskins traded for Alex Smith, giving up a third-rounder and one of their best young defensive players, CB Kendall Fuller. This pick will remain for this cycle, but next week, look for the Redskins to add BPA on defense.**

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Ya we'll just be already paying 35 year old Alex Smith the same amount of money as one.  

Yay....?

Technically, we don't know that yet. 2019 could be team friendly.

Probably will be in 2020, though.

SIGHHHHHHHHHHhhhhh

Missed this from earlier.

16 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I'll let this sink in.  Bruce Allen has now traded for:

An aging Donovan McNabb

RG3

An aging Alex Smith  

You forgot to add:

All the while, he had franchise's best quarterback in over 25 years and is letting him walk.

1 minute ago, Dashing202 said:

Actually no he wasn't this year even Gruden called him out .

lol and stop being rude dude .

How am I being rude? I am stating that the two nicknames that you have labeled guys are actually what they are known for. Kirk is a gunslinger and Alex is a dink and dunk. The west coast system is a dink and dunk timing system. It stretches the field horizontally as opposed to vertically. 

Just now, Dashing202 said:

Actually no he wasn't this year even Gruden called him out .

lol and stop being rude dude .

Went out for a late lunch about 30 minutes ago and was listening to WJFK on the way back to the office. Grant & Danny had Andy Benoit of MMQB.com on and he was saying that Kirk has a bit more of a gunslinger mentality, that he was willing to make anticipation throws to where receivers were going to be (which Benoit admitted sometimes hurt Kirk but also helped him). Benoit further said Alex Smith is more conservative, more of a "see it open before throwing" quarterback. He mentioned that the Chiefs did a lot of motion and misdirection to force defenses to reveal their plans before the snap to give Smith a better chance of having guys wide open.

Archived