BREAKING:REDSKINS TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH

mar29020

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

Did he though? Or is Andy trying to Justify his draft pick and the absurd compensation he paid for it? This is Reid's desperate attempt to save his job. No way could he go into 2018 Not starting Mahomes! This has SF 2.0 written all over it.

New flashy toy with "Upside"!!!  Going to be funny when PM struggles to do anything close to what Smith did in 2017. 

When you're 9-7, 8-7-1, and 7-9 the past 3 years you need "upside" not a lateral move at QB.

1 minute ago, mike23md said:

Dashing, I send you the pic because its the truth. Its supports my argument. 

From NFL, ESPN, and Fox Sports. All the stats you need. He is ranked 7th. 

1517431322-U13096.png

1517431443-U13096.png

1517431556-U13096.png

Come on dude ... but that even shows SMITH is top 10 lol.

It's fine man I believe you . 

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

While I 100% agree with everything you wrote the FO screwed the Pooch, Cousins was Never signing long term, never! Despite some of your hopes and His Professionalism

I never argued that he was staying. At best, I wargamed it out as 5% chance. I figured that if they didn't get a deal done by last July, then he was gone this March.

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

So choices were.

1. One more lame duck year at 28-32m and the same mediocrity.

I believe I marked this down as 20% that they tagged him one last time.

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

2. Draft the 3rd best Rookie QB in the teens. Start a complete rebuild.

Think this was 35% chance, but it's possible that it was falling after the Senior Bowl which led to this panic buy.

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

3. Sign a QB whose done Nothing but win in the NFL and might be one of the most underappreciated QB in NFL history.

I'm sorry but after the shock of this wears off, option 3 isn't as bad as you guys are making it out to be UNLESS you are telling me a Complete Rebuild was necessary and it's NOT an injury riddled Redskin Team with Talent?

This is what I expected them to do.

However, they didn't do #3. They went with option 4:

4. Trade for a QB (whose previous team was likely to cut due to a high salary cap and the QBOTF waiting in the wings) by sending a needed midround pick (while we've got talent, this year showed we need depth) and a young up-and-coming corner (creating another position where depth is now an issue).

If it was just "well, they let Cousins walk and signed Smith," the main knock against it would have been that we sacrificed the value of the 2019 compensatory pick. However, we would have kept our 2018 3rd round pick (which by its very nature will be more valuable, even ignoring that it will come to fruition a year sooner) and our likely 2018 #2 starting corner.

That's the problem. They went older without improving the talent and hurt the depth/development of the franchise. If they had gone for Drew Brees, I wouldn't be complaining as much because the talent improvement from Cousins to Brees is immense. But the delta improvement in the quarterback position (I think it's a step back, but I'm willing to concede that might be a taste thing) was not the worth the loss in value at the corner and depth we could have had without this trade.

14 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Where Smith will drive Redskins fans bananas is on third and fourth down, as he doesn’t always get the ball past the first-down marker on those pass attempts. Dating back to 2015, just 41 percent of his passes on third or fourth down traveled at least one yard past the first-down marker, the lowest rate among passers with at least 300 attempts over the past three years.

Source:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2018/01/31/alex-smith-trade-gives-the-redskins-a-quarterback-an-awful-lot-like-kirk-cousins/?utm_term=.bf7f380a6514

well this confirms smiths not gonna really get those big third downs in longs 

BY DOWN AND DISTANCE CMP ATT YDS CMP% AVG LNG TD INT SACK RAT ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
DOWN = 1 TO GO 6+ 129 187 1,706 69.0 9.12 112 10 1 10 113.2 27 121 4.5 24 0
DOWN = 2 TO GO 1-2 12 12 87 100.0 7.25 44 0 0 0 96.9 1 5 5.0 5 0
DOWN = 2 TO GO 3-7 33 50 424 66.0 8.48 154 3 0 2 112.4 3 8 2.7 7 0
DOWN = 2 TO GO 8-10 61 84 638 72.6 7.60 132 5 2 4 104.2 5 100 20.0 86 0
DOWN = 2 TO GO 11+ 25 31 197 80.6 6.36 76 0 0 3 93.1 4 10 2.5 10 0
DOWN = 2 TO GO <6 30 36 372 83.3 10.33 151 3 0 2 137.5 2 7 3.5 7 0
DOWN = 2 TO GO 6+ 101 141 974 71.6 6.91 255 5 2 7 96.5 11 116 10.5 101 0
DOWN = 3 TO GO 1-2 5 7 87 71.4 12.43 74 2 0 0 153.0 7 15 2.1 6 1
DOWN = 3 TO GO 3-7 35 69 294 50.7 4.26 83 3 0 9 76.6 6 58 9.7 47 0
DOWN = 3 TO GO 8-10 15 26 194 57.7 7.46 96 0 1 4 65.2 3 21 7.0 16 0
DOWN = 3 TO GO 11+ 22 28 389 78.6 13.89 225 1 0 3 130.7 3 11 3.7 11 0
DOWN = 3 TO GO <6 22 42 252 52.4 6.00 127 3 0 6 94.5 9 26 2.9 17 1
DOWN = 3 TO GO 6+ 55 88 712 62.5 8.09 351 3 1 10 94.5 10 79 7.9 63 0

Just now, MKnight82 said:

When you're 9-7, 8-7-1, and 7-9 the past 3 years you need "upside" not a lateral move at QB.

So is Cousins Not a FQB now? If it's lateral move as I suggest how about the FO doing their jobs and "Surrounding Him appropriately?

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

Did he though? Or is Andy trying to Justify his draft pick and the absurd compensation he paid for it?

Given that Reid might have backed himself into a corner, why bail him out? Why not let him eat crow, cut Smith, and then sign him off the free market? If he got offered 4y/$96M/$71 guaranteed as a free agent, you have to think he would still be a Redskin, no?

26 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

I'm not excited at all.

Smith a game manager . 

I rather have drafted a qb instead.

You and me both. I rather keep the draft picks, run with Colt, sit a rookie and use the money elsewhere. If Cousins was absolutely not coming back, then this is the route to go. Not grab Smith who is not going to get us to anything prominent. 

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

So is Cousins Not a FQB now? If it's lateral move as I suggest how about the FO doing their jobs and "Surrounding Him appropriately?

Well Cousins is 29, while Smith is 34.  So Smith is going to decline much sooner. I saw your comment about QBs into their 40s, but most are done by like 37-38.  

Also this move was only to save the job of Bruce Allen, who is the main problem with the franchise.  We will limp by for a few more years and Allen weasels a way to keep his job for a little longer.  

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'd argue that he is, but even if he's not, they weren't surrounding Cousins with talent. They let both Jackson and Garcon walk and replaced them with a converted quarterback and an injured wide receiver who barely played his rookie year. Now, Doctson showed he could play (like I thought he could), so letting one of the two walk would have made sense. Letting both walk out the door? That was stupid. Likewise, the running game has degraded almost every year since Cousins took over because they aren't getting talent around him.

But Smith is going to make this all work? How?

On standard 3rd and long (3rd and 6 - 3rd and 10) 

Alex Smith:
33/60 (55%) - 323 Yards (5.4 YPA) - 2 TD - 1 INT - 74.5 Passer Rating

Can't say why he was better at 3rd & 11 + But yeah.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#aggressiveness

Aggressiveness % which shows on what percent of attempts a QB makes are into tight coverage (defending within 1 yard or less)
Alex Smith is second lowest in the league behind only CJ Beathard at a lowly 12.7%. Cousins was at 16.7% Neither QB liked to throw the ball super far down field all that often only averaging 8.0 and 8.2 intended Air Yards per attempt.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

Because that's BS and you know it.

This was a dumb trade that allows our best QB since Rypien walk to be replaced by an older version of him to whom we gave a contract we NEVER offered Kirk Cousins. On top of that, we gave up an up-and-coming corner and a valuable draft pick to do it.

So don't spew that we're just being negative to be negative here. This was a stupid trade made by a stupid front office led by a moron who is ruining a franchise that we deeply care about.

I told you last year that their moves were stupid and I was proven right (noted exception: Montae Nicholson; I botched that call). I'm not someone who just craps on this franchise because I want to be a negative ahole. When they make the right moves (DJ Swearinger, Jonathan Allen, Fabian Moreau), I compliment and applaud them. But more times than not, they crap the bed. This is another of those times.

Point taken, but that doesn’t mean that I’m not tired of hearing it and didn’t need a break for a few hours.

I’m as upset as everyone else that Kirk isn’t going to be here long term and that our best defender from last year - Fuller - was traded away to get Kirk’s replacement.

On the flip side, what’s done is done. I’m personally ready to move on and talk about next moves in free agency and the draft to make the team better around Alex Smith. I don’t like it, but it’s where we are.

Do you believe - as I do - that there’s a possibility that Fabian Moreau breaks out this year and becomes one our best defensive players? 

I mean you liked the selection of Moreau so much - as did most of us - the trading away of Fuller also seems to be a strong endorsement of Fabian Moreau as our starter and future opposite of Norman.

15 minutes ago, Woz said:

That's the problem. They went older without improving the talent and hurt the depth/development of the franchise. If they had gone for Drew Brees, I wouldn't be complaining as much because the talent improvement from Cousins to Brees is immense. But the delta improvement in the quarterback position (I think it's a step back, but I'm willing to concede that might be a taste thing) was not the worth the loss in value at the corner and depth we could have had without this trade.

Woz let's be real you wouldn't have complained because Brees is a Future HOF. So renting him for a year or two has a Farve like feel. I get that. 

You're going to get a Comp 3rd back for Cousins negating the 3rd you just traded. So the only question is is a #2 CB worth Not having a Viable NFL Starting QB? You know the draft is a Crap Shoot. For every Wentz there's a Geno. For every Cousins there's 100's of Kapernicks. Unicorns like Wilson and Brady are pipedreams to hope for.

This gives you a legit chance to retool, get Healthy, and compete immediately. 

PS: I'm feeling Extremely Dirty right now that I'm in this Forum defending this decesion. Like , seeking out a $2 whore type dirty. I might have to leave before contracting a STD. Just saying.?

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

On the flip side, what’s done is done. I’m personally ready to move on and talk about next moves in free agency and the draft to make the team better around Alex Smith. I don’t like it, but it’s where we are.

No.  Because then Bruce Allen wins, and Dan Snyder needs to know how unhappy the fanbase is with the direction of the franchise.  

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Do you believe - as I do - that there’s a possibility that Fabian Moreau breaks out this year and becomes one our best defensive players? 

Fabian Moreau doesn't play slot CB, so he isn't going to be able to replace Fuller.  

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Woz let's be real you wouldn't have complained because Brees is a Future HOF. So renting him for a year or two has a Farve like feel. I get that. 

You're going to get a Comp 3rd back for Cousins begating the 3rd you just traded. So the only question is is a #2 CB worth Not having a Viable NFL Starting QB? You know the draft is a Crap Shoot. For every Wentz there's a Geno. For every Cousins there's 100's of Kapernicks. Unicorns like Wilson and Brady are pipedreams to hope for.

This gives you a legit chance to retool, get Healthy, and compete immediately. 

PS: I'm feeling Extremely Dirty right now that I'm in this Forum defending this decesion. Like , seeking out a $2 whore type dirty. I might have to leave before contracting ac STD. Just saying.?

Yes, trading a talented CB and punting our 3rd back a year is not worth a 9-7 record for the next 4 years.  We would have been better off going young at QB, taking some losses and getting some higher draft picks the next few years.  Being mediocre is the worst place you can be as an organization.  

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

On standard 3rd and long (3rd and 6 - 3rd and 10) 

Alex Smith:
33/60 (55%) - 323 Yards (5.4 YPA) - 2 TD - 1 INT - 74.5 Passer Rating

Can't say why he was better at 3rd & 11 + But yeah.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#aggressiveness

Aggressiveness % which shows on what percent of attempts a QB makes are into tight coverage (defending within 1 yard or less)
Alex Smith is second lowest in the league behind only CJ Beathard at a lowly 12.7%. Cousins was at 16.7% Neither QB liked to throw the ball super far down field all that often only averaging 8.0 and 8.2 intended Air Yards per attempt.

That had a lot to do with the WRs they were throwing to. For as good as Tyreek Hill is at go routes, screens and some other short routes, he and Albert Wilson or even Connelly when he was healthy were good intermediate to deep route runners. 

The same can he said of the Redskins Wrs last year - especially Pryor, Doctson - Grant and Crowder are better route runners but rarely ran any intermediate to deep routes that would stretch the field because like the Chiefs Wrs, that’s not their forte. 

Archived