BREAKING:REDSKINS TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH

mar29020

So there's some of this Cousins traded to Denver rumor stuff floating out there.  I'm curious how logistically that would work.  Would Denver be acquiring the rights to negotiate a long term deal with Cousins before the deadline to tag him?  I mean we're essentially trading a guy that will be a free agent in a month, is there any value in that?  Technically I guess Denver would have the ability to tag him if they wanted?

but wait the deal can’t even be finalized for awhile like the A smith trade can’t either right?  So again I’m left wondering logistically how that even works.

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

So there's some of this Cousins traded to Denver rumor stuff floating out there.  I'm curious how logistically that would work.  Would Denver be acquiring the rights to negotiate a long term deal with Cousins before the deadline to tag him?  I mean we're essentially trading a guy that will be a free agent in a month, is there any value in that?  Technically I guess Denver would have the ability to tag him if they wanted?

but wait the deal can’t even be finalized for awhile like the A smith trade can’t either right?  So again I’m left wondering logistically how that even works.

Basically everything I've read says they're not letting Kirk walk away for nothing. This whole situation baffles me? I mean if for some reason they managed to snag a pick for Kirk it would be remarkable considering how stupid they are. 

59 minutes ago, Woz said:

To be fair, Smith did it twice. He did it in 2012, which caused the Chiefs to buy high on him as well (sent a 2012 2nd and 2013 2nd for him).

So all we need to do is suffer through four years of mediocre quarterback play to have him ball out in his final season so we can trade a 39/40 year quarterback to a desperate team for a high-to-mid level pick.

It could happen, right?!

Or now that you have the consistent "B grade" quarterback on the roster,  fix some positional weaknesses, and hope they can get hot come playoff time? 

Smith won't carry a team with too much weakness on it, but he can get you far, if the team around him is "B grade" strong. 

200.webp#18-grid1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Basically everything I've read says they're not letting Kirk walk away for nothing. This whole situation baffles me? I mean if for some reason they managed to snag a pick for Kirk it would be remarkable considering how stupid they are. 

Where this stuff at tho? Is it possible ? 

Transition tag window is February 20-March 6 
Cousins will be given an opportunity to assess his value and find at least 2 trading partners. Both teams will be asked for their offers, and whoever wins gets Kirk. Could be a midday pick, could be a first round pick.

If he can't, they hit him with the tag on the 6th and trade him at the start of the league year.

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Maybe we can offer the Broncos Kirk and the 13th pick in the draft but they have to take Bruce Allen. That's the terms of the deal. 

Omg lol dude

allen uniform choices are terrible to . I miss the all white look and burgandy top and white pants look.

4 minutes ago, footy_29 said:

Transition tag window is February 20-March 6 
Cousins will be given an opportunity to assess his value and find at least 2 trading partners. Both teams will be asked for their offers, and whoever wins gets Kirk. Could be a midday pick, could be a first round pick.

If he can't, they hit him with the tag on the 6th and trade him at the start of the league year.

Ok let me get this straight.  We transition tag him but we can’t match any offer.  Why would anyone trade us anything?

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ok let me get this straight.  We transition tag him but we can’t match any offer.  Why would anyone trade us anything?

Because there's more than one team interested. 

Fear of not having is a huge motivator in many walks of life. Some team will pay.

==================

Broncos just offered a 2nd plus Talib and the Brows offered multiple picks for Alex Smith, and the Redskins won out. Everyone knew that Mahomes was the starter next year, so why pay now and not wait?

Avoid open market competition and buy certainty.

5 minutes ago, footy_29 said:

Fear of not having is a huge motivator in many walks of life. Some team will pay.

==================

Broncos just offered a 2nd plus Talib and the Brows offered multiple picks for Alex Smith, and the Redskins won out. Everyone knew that Mahomes was the starter next year, so why pay now and not wait?

Your on fire with your posts lately ???

3 minutes ago, footy_29 said:

==================

Alex Smith is under contract Cousins isn’t.

if the redskins transition tag Cousins they can’t derermine his destination.  Cousins would be able to talk to other teams and sign with one he chooses, then the Redskins can either match it or he goes to that team.

So again I ask, why would anyone trade us anything when we can’t force him to sign a contract with anyone?

19 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Maybe we can offer the Broncos Kirk and the 13th pick in the draft but they have to take Bruce Allen. That's the terms of the deal. 

If we can get a second for Kirk that'd be amazing.

talib? Ehhh he takes cap space and he's older. But him and Norman is a good dou.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Alex Smith is under contract Cousins isn’t.

if the redskins transition tag Cousins they can’t derermine his destination.  Cousins would be able to talk to other teams and sign with one he chooses, then the Redskins can either match it or he goes to that team.

So again I ask, why would anyone trade us anything when we can’t force him to sign a contract with anyone?

What happens if Kirk doesn't sign ?

Archived