BREAKING:REDSKINS TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH

mar29020

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Alex Smith is under contract Cousins isn’t.

if the redskins transition tag Cousins they can’t derermine his destination.  Cousins would be able to talk to other teams and sign with one he chooses, then the Redskins can either match it or he goes to that team.

So again I ask, why would anyone trade us anything when we can’t force him to sign a contract with anyone?

The point is that there are similarities:

Everyone knew that Smith wouldn't play for the Chiefs in 2018 - they cannot keep that much salary. Chiefs - after trading Alex Smith and acquiring the inexpensive Fuller - have $7.6M in cap space.

That is NUTS!

Tamba Hali and Derrick Johnson are two easy outs (giving $15MM), but that's basically the money you have for free agency and that goes for 3 average starters and a couple back-ups. They are at serious risk of a leadership drain, even though they have Berry in the backend. Hence Fuller's value to the Chiefs was higher than acquiring the moron top tier corner Aqib Talib.

Everyone now knows Cousins will not play for the Redskins in 2018 - they cannot keep Smith and Cousins. 

But they can, theoretically, fit Cousins transition tag (if no offer signed) and wait until the trade deadline in the fall. Huge jerk move as an organization - who cares. This means, one way or another, Cousins will receive the tag and be traded.

To maximize his contract, the agent will actively seek 2-3 teams and return to the Redskins with those offers. The Redskins will negotiate with those teams, Cousins will sign the tag and be traded to the team he agrees to a contract with.

6 minutes ago, footy_29 said:

The point is that there are similarities:

Everyone knew that Smith wouldn't play for the Chiefs in 2018 - they cannot keep that much salary. Chiefs - after trading Alex Smith and acquiring the inexpensive Fuller - have $7.6M in cap space.

That is NUTS!

Tamba Hali and Derrick Johnson are two easy outs (giving $15MM), but that's basically the money you have for free agency and that goes for 3 average starters and a couple back-ups. They are at serious risk of a leadership drain, even though they have Berry in the backend. Hence Fuller's value to the Chiefs was higher than acquiring the moron top tier corner Aqib Talib.

Everyone now knows Cousins will not play for the Redskins in 2018 - they cannot keep Smith and Cousins. 

But they can, theoretically, fit Cousins transition tag (if no offer signed) and wait until the trade deadline in the fall. Huge jerk move as an organization - who cares. This means, one way or another, Cousins will receive the tag and be traded.

To maximize his contract, the agent will actively seek 2-3 teams and return to the Redskins with those offers. The Redskins will negotiate with those teams, Cousins will sign the tag and be traded to the team he agrees to a contract with.

If we tag him, he can just go sign a deal with someone though?  So I’m still not understanding how what you’re saying is possible.  If we transition tag Cousins he can talk to whatever team he wants and sign a deal.  We can’t hoard him from other teams.

Remember a few years ago when that Browns Center went and signed a deal with the Falcons?  They got nothing.

edit - scrap that about Alex Mack I’m not sure I’m remebering that right.  He might have hit free agency.

1. Before the transition tag occurs, you give permission for the agent to assess offers.
  2. As an organization, one assumes you give the agent the intended ask first round pick + future 3rd round 
  3. Agent talks to GMs from the other teams about contracts
  4. Team to Team discussions, with inclusion from agent
  5. Winning big/offer for Cousins is on the table
  6. Tag is offered
  7. Signed
  8. Player traded
  9. Signs extension
  10. Press conferences

5 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

If we tag him, he can just go sign a deal with someone though?  So I’m still not understanding how what you’re saying is possible.  If we transition tag Cousins he can talk to whatever team he wants and sign a deal.  We can’t hoard him from other teams.

Remember a few years ago when that Browns Center went and signed a deal with the Falcons?  They got nothing.

non-exclusive franchise (tag) player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Cousins and his agent want free agency, but they don't get it with transition tag.
Cousins and his agent MUST have multiple offers on the table to get the MEGA contract that he wants (to prove he's worth it). If there's one bidder, he doesn't make bank.

3 minutes ago, footy_29 said:
  1. Before the transition tag occurs, you give permission for the agent to assess offers.
  2. As an organization, one assumes you give the agent the intended ask first round pick + future 3rd round 
  3. Agent talks to GMs from the other teams about contracts
  4. Team to Team discussions, with inclusion from agent
  5. Winning big/offer for Cousins is on the table
  6. Tag is offered
  7. Signed
  8. Player traded
  9. Signs extension
  10. Press conferences

I guess we'll find out in the next month or so.  I don't see why any team would trade the Redskins anything for Cousins when he's about to be a free agent.  

1 minute ago, footy_29 said:

Cousins and his agent want free agency, but they don't get it with transition tag.
Cousins and his agent MUST have multiple offers on the table to get the MEGA contract that he wants (to prove he's worth it). If there's one bidder, he doesn't make bank.

I think every team is going to offer him a mega deal.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I used to think Dan wanted to win so bad that he would make short term gain type deals because he was thinking irrationally because of that burning desire to win right away.  I now just think he bought the Redskins as an investment, and he does anything he can every offseason to sell the idea this year will be better just in order to sell tickets.  Bruce Allen is the perfect weasel GM for that approach.

His background was in marketing.

This is why I refer to the team as a marketing company that occasionally plays football in the Fall

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

So there's some of this Cousins traded to Denver rumor stuff floating out there.  I'm curious how logistically that would work.  Would Denver be acquiring the rights to negotiate a long term deal with Cousins before the deadline to tag him?  I mean we're essentially trading a guy that will be a free agent in a month, is there any value in that?  Technically I guess Denver would have the ability to tag him if they wanted?

but wait the deal can’t even be finalized for awhile like the A smith trade can’t either right?  So again I’m left wondering logistically how that even works.

Only way I can see it happening is transition tagging him. But that only works if we have the threat of matching his contract.

I seriously do not see where the team has ANY leverage to tag and trade now.

31 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Alex Smith is under contract Cousins isn’t.

if the redskins transition tag Cousins they can’t derermine his destination.  Cousins would be able to talk to other teams and sign with one he chooses, then the Redskins can either match it or he goes to that team.

So again I ask, why would anyone trade us anything when we can’t force him to sign a contract with anyone?

They won't.

And then Cousins can simply sign the tender and tell the Redskins he won't seek any other offer and the Redskins have to pony up $28M for this season and have it count against their books.

I'm really NOT seeing how the Redskins have any wiggle room here to gain any leverage in negotiations. And that is something I do a lot in my day job.

9 minutes ago, footy_29 said:

Cousins has already proved he will take the tag. I'd threaten to take the transition tag and pocket the $28m and not talk to anyone else if I'm him. 

There's literally ZERO chance the Redskins can chance having that $28M on their books. Because as soon as Kirk signs, it ALL gets applied against the cap.

Archived