BREAKING:REDSKINS TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH

mar29020

2 hours ago, footy_29 said:

Teams will also see him as a year older. 

Cousins can get two more contracts in his career if he gets a 6/7 year contract that is renegotiated toward the end in this season. The potential to earn that contract is minimized by the year lost. It's tangible. 

You think teams will offer him > $28 million next year after 3-5 QBs go in the first round this year, and another 2-5 next year?
A year changes things for everyone.

A good agent finds the right trading partner and gets this deal done.

Alex Smith just got a 94 million dollar deal. He's 33. Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers .... several QBs have played into their mid 30s. It's a protected position. Cousins can sit out all of next season and be fine for a contract.

The Redskins have absolutely no leverage. They have three options:

1. Franchise tag him. That's 35 million, and exclusive. The Redskins have to work out the trade. No one is going to offer more than a third.

2. Transition tag. That's 28 million. Cousins can sit, be a back up, watch the front office implode, and collect his money. Or he can go find a team he wants, get a contract he wants, and sign, because the Redskins can't afford to match the offer.

3. The Redskins release Cousins and take the comp pick. 

Cousins has all the juice. The WORST thing that happens is that he sits out a season and gets to be a free agent next season.

36 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Alex Smith just got a 94 million dollar deal. He's 33. Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers .... several QBs have played into their mid 30s. It's a protected position. Cousins can sit out all of next season and be fine for a contract.

The Redskins have absolutely no leverage. They have three options:

1. Franchise tag him. That's 35 million, and exclusive. The Redskins have to work out the trade. No one is going to offer more than a third.

2. Transition tag. That's 28 million. Cousins can sit, be a back up, watch the front office implode, and collect his money. Or he can go find a team he wants, get a contract he wants, and sign, because the Redskins can't afford to match the offer.

3. The Redskins release Cousins and take the comp pick. 

Cousins has all the juice. The WORST thing that happens is that he sits out a season and gets to be a free agent next season.

I doubt he sits out for a year even if he's tagged a team during the season will get desperate . 

Realistically, I see the Transition Tag and trade as a viable option. Worst case scenario is no trade partners emerge and the tag is rescinded. Because the negotiating would most likely happen prior to signing the tender, the tag should be able to be rescinded and we can still recoup a third round pick next year.

The best case scenario is Cousins goes along and signs our tender without pursuing the contract he has always wanted and we trade him for a kings ransom.

Unlikely scenario is that the tag is placed and Cousins refuses to sign and sits the year out.

The fact remains that the Kirk Cousins commodity is offered to us first with a franchise tender. He can not negotiate with anyone unless we allow him to.

6 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Realistically, I see the Transition Tag and trade as a viable option. Worst case scenario is no trade partners emerge and the tag is rescinded. Because the negotiating would most likely happen prior to signing the tender, the tag should be able to be rescinded and we can still recoup a third round pick next year.

The best case scenario is Cousins goes along and signs our tender without pursuing the contract he has always wanted and we trade him for a kings ransom.

Unlikely scenario is that the tag is placed and Cousins refuses to sign and sits the year out.

The fact remains that the Kirk Cousins commodity is offered to us first with a franchise tender. He can not negotiate with anyone unless we allow him to.

If they use the transition tag, they can't trade him. It's either match or decline.

How many pending unrestricted free agents do you guys have? I believe the way it works with comp picks is that you can't get a comp pick if you lose the same amount of players that you sign. If you lose 6 players and sign 5, then I believe you are eligible to receive one pick. But if it's 5 and 5 you don't get a comp pick. So trying to get a comp pick for cousins could potentially prohibit your free agent moves. 

19 hours ago, Woz said:

Okay, let me rephrase that then:

The likelihood that Smith replicates his single best career season in a brand new offense with new players in a new town is incredibly unlikely. A safer bet would be to expect an average of his 2013-2015 Kansas City numbers: 63-64%, ~3500 yards, ~21 TD, ~7 INTs

It all depends how much we throw the ball vs how much we run the ball. If Smith is going to throw the ball just over 500 times like 2017 or only 470 or 489 times like in 2015 and 2016 he’ll probbaly not come near replicating his stats from last year, but Jay Gruden’s offense has always been pass happy.

Couins threw the ball 540 times in 2015, 606 times in 2016 and 543 times in 2007.

If Smith is going to throw the ball over 500 times, I’m going to expect he gets 4,000 yards or more and around 25 TDs or more and he’ll probably still throw less than 10 ints.

It just depends what happens with the running game, because keep in mind that while Cousins was racking up those impressive yard totals - especially in 2016 - one reason why was because he had over 600 attempts.

Now, if we get a stud running back in the draft or free agency and that guy gets around 300 carries or more I’m sure Smith won’t be throwing the ball near 540 to 600 times in 2018 so yeah, then he probably won’t replicate his 2017 stats.

I personally just have to believe that Gruden is going to once again be pass happy and if he is, Smith will either come near replicating his 2017 stats or surpass them.

12 minutes ago, N4L said:

How many pending unrestricted free agents do you guys have? I believe the way it works with comp picks is that you can't get a comp pick if you lose the same amount of players that you sign. If you lose 6 players and sign 5, then I believe you are eligible to receive one pick. But if it's 5 and 5 you don't get a comp pick. So trying to get a comp pick for cousins could potentially prohibit your free agent moves. 

Ultimately we won't receive anything for Kirk because Bruce is going to run out and sign a bunch of Free Agents to calm the fanbase down. They'll end up being complete disaster signings and Kirk will have ended up leaving for absolutely nothing. This is a monumental failure that would've got just about anyone else fired but that doesn't apply to Bruce. I may have to give this franchise up until Bruce is gone.

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Ultimately we won't receive anything for Kirk because Bruce is going to run out and sign a bunch of Free Agents to calm the fanbase down. They'll end up being complete disaster signings and Kirk will have ended up leaving for absolutely nothing. This is a monumental failure that would've got just about anyone else fired but that doesn't apply to Bruce. I may have to give this franchise up until Bruce is gone.

That is why they must tag and trade Cousins for at least a 4th round pick in 2018 or more.

The Redskins aside from Kirk Cousins probably shouldn't worry about comp picks, unless Breeland gets 10 million a year. 

11 minutes ago, N4L said:

This is correct, but it also depends on the size of contracts the free agents that you lose sign with their new team as well. They factor in how big of a loss that player was to your team because of how big of a contract they sign with their new team.

Seeing as Cousins is likely to become either the highest paid player in the NFL or one of the highest paid players, I have to imagine that will work in our favor as getting the 2019 3rd round compensatory pick.

I’m also not sure they count us re-signing our own towards the compensatory picks. So for example if we re-sign Zach Brown, Junior Galette, Ryan Grant and Breeland like we re-signed Mason Foster, I don’t think that hurts us as far as getting a comp pick for Kirk in the 2019 draft.

Maybe someone else can clear that up or I can surely look into it but I don’t think us re-signing our own hurts us in terms of comp picks. I think it’s based on free agents we sign from other teams and what kind of contracts we sign them to vs what kind of contract Kirk signs with his new team.

Archived