BREAKING:REDSKINS TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH

mar29020

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Ultimately we won't receive anything for Kirk because Bruce is going to run out and sign a bunch of Free Agents to calm the fanbase down. They'll end up being complete disaster signings and Kirk will have ended up leaving for absolutely nothing. This is a monumental failure that would've got just about anyone else fired but that doesn't apply to Bruce. I may have to give this franchise up until Bruce is gone.

When is the last time the Redskins went out and signed “a bunch of free agents?” 

I don’t think that has happened since Bruce Allen took over control of the roster in 2014.

The last time I remember the Redskins being major players in free agency was 2011 when Shanahan signed several guys on defense and before that was 2006.

I doubt we are going to be huge players in FA. Well very likely re-sign our own guys like Brown, and some of the cheaper free agents we have and then sign or draft upgrades an upgrade at LG, NT, RB and WR. 

That’s 4 guys we need between the draft and free agency. I don’t think we’ll go splurging.

27 minutes ago, footy_29 said:

That is why they must tag and trade Cousins for at least a 4th round pick in 2018 or more.

The Redskins aside from Kirk Cousins probably shouldn't worry about comp picks, unless Breeland gets 10 million a year. 

I think Bree will get a large contract from someone. I’m not sure it will be as much as $10 million per year but there’s several teams around the league that should want him, including the Cowboys which I would hate but I like Dunny just as much as Bree and Moreau has potential to be a good starting corner too.

Thank god we aren't talking about cousins today . That was getting annoying for months .

now we can focus on what smith can do for us . He's smart , he's a leader, he keeps games close , and he has good accuracy .

if he sucks o well if he's good than great! 

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think Bree will get a large contract from someone. I’m not sure it will be as much as $10 million per year but there’s several teams around the league that should want him, including the Cowboys which I would hate but I like Dunny just as much as Bree and Moreau has potential to be a good starting corner too.

Who's gonna pay breeland a lot of money? I see him coming back on a 1 year price it deal . 

Let's also not rule out the fact that Jay Gruden may have had a big say in this trade. Now I hate that we gave up fuller, a 3rd should've been enough or Sua rather than fuller. However, moving on from that, Alex Smith is a known winner and looked very good this season. I think he fits jay grudens system pretty well as he is accurate, decisive and can run the read option every once in a while like he did with Kirk and smith is a much better runner. If we can have a healthy Jordan Reed and maybe pick up another receiver via. Free agency like Sammy Watkins or draft in second round like the wr miller from Memphis I think we can have a very successful offense. Our defense will be the question as always. 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

2017?  Terrell McClain, Stacey McGee, Zach Brown, Terrell Pryor, DJ Swearinger, Brian Quick.

And that's why we didn't receive compensation for Baker, Jackson or Garcon. The same thing that's going to happen with Kirk and Breeland.

3 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Let's also not rule out the fact that Jay Gruden may have had a big say in this trade. Now I hate that we gave up fuller, a 3rd should've been enough or Sua rather than fuller. However, moving on from that, Alex Smith is a known winner and looked very good this season. I think he fits jay grudens system pretty well as he is accurate, decisive and can run the read option every once in a while like he did with Kirk and smith is a much better runner. If we can have a healthy Jordan Reed and maybe pick up another receiver via. Free agency like Sammy Watkins or draft in second round like the wr miller from Memphis I think we can have a very successful offense. Our defense will be the question as always. 

We really need to do something about the run game though.  

19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

2017?  Terrell McClain, Stacey McGee, Zach Brown, Terrell Pryor, DJ Swearinger, Brian Quick.

Swearinger, McGee, Brown and Quick were great signings.
Pryor was misguided considering Cousins preferences. I feel this one came from Gruden. 
McClain was plain dumb.

The guaranteed dollars on McClain is mind blowing and speaks to Snyder stealing a FA from Jones. Could have been Allen thinking it would please Snyder or Tomsula's endorsement...who knows?

19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You left out slot CB

Dunbar/Holsey
Moreau takes the outside.

edit:

Feel good about Moreau's ability to handle the outside corner position better than Fuller's. If they were a largely zone team, I would have kept Fuller but it depends what your coaches want to roll with and how they assess the other players on the roster and the competition in the league.

Like the idea of Dunbar in the slot a bit until Holsey gets his feet under him. Probably will not be until November/December and into 2019.

Injury is incredibly probable for Hosley, but that's the main knock on him. He has had the coaching now, and he has what you're looking for. 

Maybe this is the optimist in me, but I make the move with Fuller if I am happy with Moreau and Hosley. Or you like the corners enough to believe you will draft at least one this year. 

8 minutes ago, footy_29 said:

Swearinger, McGee, Brown and Quick were great signings.
Pryor was misguided considering Cousins preferences. I feel this one came from Gruden. 
McClain was plain dumb.

The guaranteed dollars on McClain is mind blowing and speaks to Snyder stealing a FA from Jones. Could have been Allen thinking it would please Snyder or Tomsula's endorsement...who knows?

The success of these signings is another story.  He was stating that Bruce Allen hasn't signed a lot of FA players since he took over, which isn't true, look at 2017.

14 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The success of these signings is another story.  He was stating that Bruce Allen hasn't signed a lot of FA players since he took over, which isn't true, look at 2017.

Quick is a name, but a low-level signing (and handfuls happen every year). Let's forget about him.

Brown and Pryor were prove it deals without breaking the bank.
Swearinger and McGee were two year additions at moderate free agent pricing with manageable hits to release in 2019 (For DJ: $1.33M and McGee $2.4M)

Without the idiocy of McClain, I don't feel those were bad choices to make. The Redskins were 'going for it' this season and that is when you should add more temporary deals.

18 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Or now that you have the consistent "B grade" quarterback on the roster,  fix some positional weaknesses, and hope they can get hot come playoff time? 

Smith won't carry a team with too much weakness on it, but he can get you far, if the team around him is "B grade" strong. 

Except they gave up their best young defender and a 3rd round pick in the process. By doing so, they created another positional weakness (since Breeland is likely leaving as well) and hindered their ability to fix any weaknesses.

Archived