BREAKING:REDSKINS TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH

mar29020

16 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The Broncos offered a second round pick for Alex as well. I'd be shocked if they couldn't have got the Niners first round pick in 2018 had they traded Kirk last off-season. 

I could have seen the 49ers doing that. With Cousins, they probably think that they win 6-8 games, meaning that pick would be mid first round, and Cousins would have easily been worth that to teams. Add to that it was a future #1 (which is seen as discounted from same year picks), and I agree...I don't think that there's any way the 49ers don't make that deal. 

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If ... Alex Smith and the Redskins go out next year and our passing game looks good, running game is improved and our returning defensive players and new acquisitions look good People will forget that we lost Fuller and a 3rd for Alex Smith.

I won't. It will be yet another example of this franchise papering over their mistakes.

I almost wonder if Bruce Allen hired Ernie Grunfeld as a GM consultant. Same sort of stupid.

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

I could have seen the 49ers doing that. With Cousins, they probably think that they win 6-8 games, meaning that pick would be mid first round, and Cousins would have easily been worth that to teams. Add to that it was a future #1 (which is seen as discounted from same year picks), and I agree...I don't think that there's any way the 49ers don't make that deal. 

Yea but look at the stats cousins is better than smith .

Better yards touchdowns and had no weapons .

Smith had Crabtree and randy moss in San Fran .

Kirks never had weapons 

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

I won't. It will be yet another example of this franchise papering over their mistakes.

I almost wonder if Bruce Allen hired Ernie Grunfeld as a GM consultant. Same sort of stupid.

I mean if our back up corners do well than it won't be bad .

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

Well that’s true. I won’t forget that they didn’t re-sign Kirk Cousins, because they will always be true, and They should have re-signed Cousins to a deal in 2016 that paid him on avg of $20 m a year. Heck, they could have had Cousins on a long term deal right now for cheaper than they are going to pay Alex Smith next year and the following 3 years on a long term deal, they definitely screwed that up.

No doubt! Franchising Cousins and not signing him to a LTD in 2016 was the wrong move, I felt that way and several of us in this forum felt that way.

And I’m sure people won’t totally forget that we gave up Fuller in those deal or they won’t forget that we gave up a 3rd - especially if Smith doesn’t lead us to the playoffs. 

I guess what I’m saying though is that if Smith does lead us to the playoffs this year or over the rest of the time he’s our qb and we also win some playoff games or even go further and our defense develops into a top 10 D over the next year or 2 and our running game improves a lot, people will be excited.

I know there’s a lot of if’s in this comment, but IF the redskins become more of a success with Smith as their qb over the next 4 or 5 years, fans will be satisfied.

We won’t forget what we lost, I mean I never will and I have never forgotten the mistakes they’ve made since the drafting of Desmond Howard and I’ve never forgotten Grunfield’s busts ans mistskes too but we will be excited to have a winner!

You can’t deny that if, IF we turn into a consistent playoff team, consistent winner and a super bowl contender with smith as our qb over the next few seasons that you won’t be excited about that.

Im not saying it’s going to happen, it’s definitely more likely it won’t happen than it will with Bruce & Danny boy running the show, but if it does all of Redskins nation’s will be stoked about the team like they haven’t been since 91-92.

26 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Alex smith post season stats are very very good .

i can't believe he never been back to the championship game .

It’s tough to beat the elite QBs. Yes, this year in the playoffs they lost to the Titans - mostly because of some very questionable calls and then Tripplet retires after that playoff game - but most years Alex has lost to elite teams and/or Qbs. 

2011 they almost beat the giants and Smith almost made it to the super bowl with the Patriots and then Eli Manning, Tom Coughlin and the Hiants on the super bowl.

Other years he lost to guys like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Andrew Luck when he was 100% 3 or 4 years ago. If I remember correctly he and Luck went back and forth in basically a shoot out at Indy that year in the playoffs and Smith played very well in the loss.

37 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Yea but look at the stats cousins is better than smith .

Better yards touchdowns and had no weapons .

Smith had Crabtree and randy moss in San Fran .

Kirks never had weapons 

I don’t know exactly where to go with this comment. Kirk has had a lot of weapons - especially before 2017 - and Randy Moss was basically retired when he went to San Fran. 

Crabtree is a good wr, but I’d GArcon over him and definitely Djax over him. 

Cousins had better receiving weapons than Smith did until the 2017 season. 

Smith has always had a better running game and defense to help him though, which Cousins hasn’t had yet as a starter. 

Its hard to compare their two careers in some ways but I think the easiest thing to do is to look at how many attempts Cousins had over the last 3 years vs Smith and that explains a lot as to why Cousins passing stats were better.

Put it this way, in 2017 Cousins threw 35 more passes than Alex Smith and  Smith had basically the same about of yards, 1 less TD,  and Smith had 8 less ints with a 104.7 rating. 

The greatest quality of Smith is probably that he isn’t going to lose you too many games. He’s not going to throw too many ints in the 4th quarter or in the redzone. Smith doesn’t fumble often and he hasn’t thrown too many bad ints on his own teams side of the field which puts the defense on a short field and Smith doesn’t throw too many pick 6’s.

So, when you look at the turnover battle, the addition of Smith is a plus for us and he comes cheaper than Cousins - possibly as much as $10 mil cheaper - which allows us to go out and sign one big name starting FA, two good starters or 3 ok starters but upgrades over what we currently have starting in the positions the FAs would play in . 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

The Broncos offered a second round pick for Alex as well. I'd be shocked if they couldn't have got the Niners first round pick in 2018 had they traded Kirk last off-season. 

So the Browns have 2.1 and 2.32 or 2.31. My guess is that it was the lower. Now they could have offered another pick from like the 4th or 5th round. 

I don't believe we got fleeced. I dont like giving up Fuller, but we needed a QB. Smith >>>>> than Bradford, Keenum, McCoy, Bortles, etc...

There was no other free agent QB that was going to make sense for this team. And I don't believe Jay was comfortable with a young to mold with 1 year left on his contract. He needed a veteran and someone that coudl come in and understand what it takes to win. 

I know that you wont like this answer and try to curtail my reasoning at every turn. Thats fine. I hated it on the surface. But Kirk was NEVER going to sign here. NEVER. He was as gone as gone gets. Its unfortunate, but thats the business. We got the next best thing. 

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We “could be better” because Smith could repeat or even surpass his 2017 season stats from KC because Gruden will throw the ball more than Reid did.

In a 12 year career, 2017 represented Smith's

• 2nd best year in completion percentage (67.5%, best was 2012 (70.2%))
  • 2nd best year in TD percentage (5.1%, best was 2012 (6.0%))
  • Best year in INT percentage (1.0%)
  • Tied for best year in yards per attempt (8.0, tied with 2012)
  • Best year for passer rating (104.7)
  • Best year for net yards per game [ (passing yards - sack yards) / (passing attempts + times sacked) ] (7.10)

So, what is more likely? That he replicates 2017, which was his best or second best year in his career, or that he reverts back to his career averages:

• Career completion percentage: 62.4% (time in KC = 65.1%, time in KC w/o 2017 = 64.5%)
  • Career TD percentage: 4.0% (time in KC = 4.2%, time in KC w/o 2017 = 3.9%)
  • Career INT percentage: 2.1% (time in KC = 1.4%, time in KC w/o 2017 = 1.5%)
  • Career yards per attempt: 6.9 (time in KC = 7.2, time in KC w/o 2017 = 7.0)
  • Career passer rating: 87.4 (time in KC = 94.8, time in KC w/o 2017 = 92.2)
  • Career net yards per game: 5.94 (time in KC = 6.31, time in KC w/o 2017 = 6.11)

The first barb at the Redskins thrown by Cousins:

"They were very interested," he told USA Today. "It's a business. I told them my intentions to let it go to March and see what happens. They then felt they needed to go in a different direction. That's their prerogative. They made that decision. Now I'll react accordingly."

This has slimeball all over it to me. He knew that we couldn't go into Free Agency without a quarterback and dictated he wouldn't discuss anything before Free Agency. He basically said, tag me and we can talk, otherwise I'm going to talk to all other teams in Free Agency. Now don't get me wrong. I like Kirk, I have and will support Kirk, but this was a planned move to "get out."

19 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Know what is sad?

This year will mark the year where Bruce has been in charge just as long as Vinny.

And...

The Redskins need to go 10-6 this year for Bruce to surpass Vinny's win %

Think on that... and be dismayed.

Technically, this is only true if you count Vinny's second tenure. Remember, he was hired in May/June of 1999 and was here for the 2000 season before getting fired for a year when Schottenheimer was here.

1999-2001, 2002-2009
vs
2009-2018

I'm still numb . I hated losing Fuller  but,, we were between the proverbial rock .. etc . One thing I know -all this gnashing of teeth over losing Kirk Cousins. We won't know for a few seasons if it's to be lamented or celebrated.. I think he was our Tony Romo--looked great but what -4 Playoffs in like 14 seasons and 2-4 record.. bleah !

Time will of course tell if he's closer to being Tom Brady or Romo.. Great or justa guy .. Look at this way. We now have two teams to follow, ours and his. Wherever he signs .

6 hours ago, oldman9er said:

I don't know if people are aware of this, but Alex was playing at a very high (efficient) level in 2012 before the concussion that ultimately ended his SF tour. 

Am aware and have referenced it multiple times.

Problem is that his numbers in 2013-2016, while better than his career averages, were somewhat a regression to the mean. Once again, in 2017, he had a career year (only 2012 is comparable).

Question is: are we getting the 2012/2017 vintage, 2013-2016 vintage or the 2005-2011 vintage? I doubt the last option, but I'm not sure that the middle option is worth what we paid. If we get the first option, then I'm going to have to eat some crow.

Archived