BREAKING:REDSKINS TRADE FOR ALEX SMITH

mar29020

1 hour ago, Woz said:

As it stands right now, the Redskins run a 3-4.

Except they don't have a true nose tackle, so they defense gets gashed up the middle

But they only run a 3-4 30% or so of the time, so that's not a problem ... except they keep insisting on getting 3-4 focused players. On top of which, their best middle linebacker is still unsigned (Zach Brown) and may be making his way to free agency. There is no quality behind him. Their #2 CB last year is likely leaving via free agency as well, and they just traded their #3 corner. Oh, and they don't really have a true ball hawking free safety.

So, solely on the defense, they are missing four starters right now. Should they move to a 4-3 front to maximize the talent on the field, they're still short two linebackers (assuming they move Kerrigan down to LDE and Smith or Anderson to RDE).

Then there's the offense outside of the QB. At running back, they have a great scat back in Chris Thompson but he's not really able to get the between the tackle yards. The other RBs they have are basically JAGs. At wide receiver, we have a young guy in Doctson who can make spectacular catches but drop easy passes. He might better as the #2 WR, but they don't have a guy opposite him. Crowder is a good slot guy, but really regressed this past season (I hope that was just a bad run). Behind them, they have a bunch of maybes, with Ryan Grant leading the way (to be fair, Grant looked very good this season after looking like a bust for the past three). At TE, they've got an All Pro in Jordan Reed (who cannot stay healthy) and Vernon Davis (who did stay healthy but is getting long in the tooth). On the offensive line, they have no one who should be starting at left guard, and while they have two really good tackles, they both have gotten banged up repeatedly. There's no depth on the OL.

So, if they avoid the injury bug this coming year, they've got the talent, but the team is currently paper thin. They need at least one WR (whether a free agent vet or one of the other ones on the roster) to step forward. The run game is a bit of a disaster right now, so they need to address that. They desperately need to fix the left guard spot because while Chase Rouiller looks like a decent center, he's not strong enough to hold the point of attack if the guy to his left is not a solid player. And they need a talent infusion at multiple spots on the defense including a hole they just made for themselves at corner. With one less draft pick since they sent the 3rd to the Chiefs as well.

In short (too late!), they just don't have the talent on the roster right now to be in Super Bowl contention.

You don't have much experience talking people off of ledges, do you?

18 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Just watched that movie last night. 

From what I am hearing, this Smith deal is likely to be a 2 year deal, which means the franchise QB could be drafted in April. 

For the record, I absolutely did not like getting Fuller in the deal, but while we are thin, we are going to have a little more money in order to sign some quality folks. 

Zach Brown might not be signed yet because they new salary cap has not been introduced. But they are talking, and remember Brown was not signed by 31 other teams so we got lucky that he performed well. I dont believe there is going to be a market for Brown right off the bat, and if the parties are interested of coming to a deal, then he could sign right after free agency starts. I am not worried about Brown. 

HOW??!! 

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

Doesn't say slimeball to me. That's the business side of this sport. I would be surprised if he didn't do it, given the leverage he had. The guy wanted to hit FA. He now has his wish. 

The way he talked before to the way he is speaking now is why he sounds like a slimeball. He is acting as if the Redskins could afford to let Kirk hit free agency to decide who their QB would be. If anyone seriously thinks that if Kirk was a FA and had his pick of a team, that the Redskins would even be considered, they are naive. The barb is "They then felt they needed to go in a different direction. That's their prerogative. They made that decision. Now I'll react accordingly." As if the result would have been any different had they not traded for Smith. Kirk had already stated unless the Redskins tagged him, he was going to be a FA. 

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

The way he talked before to the way he is speaking now is why he sounds like a slimeball. He is acting as if the Redskins could afford to let Kirk hit free agency to decide who their QB would be. 

No. But he was expecting to get tagged. Which is his reference to March.

If anyone seriously thinks that if Kirk was a FA and had his pick of a team, that the Redskins would even be considered, they are naive.

Oh, I doubt he would've signed with us after the last 2 seasons of being disrespected by the team and the "Director of Pants and Picnics". I agree.

The barb is "They then felt they needed to go in a different direction. That's their prerogative. They made that decision. Now I'll react accordingly." As if the result would have been any different had they not traded for Smith. Kirk had already stated unless the Redskins tagged him, he was going to be a FA. 

I'm still not seeing an attempt to insult. The questions thrown at him were trying to get him to state he was upset about being let go. He is simply talking about how he is now in control of where he goes and that he's not bearing ill-will towards the Redskins because he knows that they were seeking to do what they thought was right. He followed the question up with the fact that he's excited to be able to pick where he plays for the first time since picking Michigan St. coming out of H.S. I'm just not seeing what you're seeing here.

I mean come on. The guy just got his wish. The wish of EVERY QB in their prime. To hit unrestricted free agency. But if he had said "I'm ticked that they did it" people would castigate him for not signing a deal to prevent it. If he says "I'm glad they did it, I couldn't wait to be gone" then that also turns off another portion of fans. This was the most diplomatic response possible.

1 minute ago, Dashing202 said:

I like alex smith .

A lot actually .. I never thought I'd say that about him. But he's a good dude that helps his community and plays with everything he got .

i remember some here didn't even want Mayfield cause of his attitude .

I love Alex Smith the person. The QB is going to have to grow on me. Hopefully he produces for us

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

I love Alex Smith the person. The QB is going to have to grow on me. Hopefully he produces for us

He should but it's a wait and see . As for fuller I can say this .. if redskins feel breeland is the guy for the slot than okay . The skins feel confident smith here for 3 years and gruden shown to produce qbs so maybe smith progresses . We could be catching him into his prime .

So here's one interest thing . Watching a video right now and Feinstein said this .

" When alex smith was on the block . Doug Williams pushed hard for smith and told Allen and Snyder that this is our guy ".

I know you guys say Allen and Danny make decisions . But if Doug Williams whos played QB is vouching for Smith than count me in.

3 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

No. But he was expecting to get tagged. Which is his reference to March.

He was expecting the only scenario in which he dictated. He stated I won't sign a long-term deal before March. So the only option at that point, unless they seriously thought they had a chance to win a bidding war, was to tag him for a third time. HE is the one that controlled that situation. 

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm still not seeing an attempt to insult. The questions thrown at him were trying to get him to state he was upset about being let go. He is simply talking about how he is now in control of where he goes and that he's not bearing ill-will towards the Redskins because he knows that they were seeking to do what they thought was right. He followed the question up with the fact that he's excited to be able to pick where he plays for the first time since picking Michigan St. coming out of H.S. I'm just not seeing what you're seeing here.

I mean come on. The guy just got his wish. The wish of EVERY QB in their prime. To hit unrestricted free agency. But if he had said "I'm ticked that they did it" people would castigate him for not signing a deal to prevent it. If he says "I'm glad they did it, I couldn't wait to be gone" then that also turns off another portion of fans. This was the most diplomatic response possible.

This is absolutely the point. Why lie to a fanbase and to a team and say that you want to be somewhere when you don't. He absolutely wanted to be gone, the only reason he stayed here is for the tag. 

I as a fan am insulted because I believed he wanted to be here. I am one of the naive ones that fought to have his back, because I felt he had ours. He is a great politician, because he portrays an honest person who can word things correctly to make you believe in them. The fact is Kirk never wanted to be here. If he had his way, he would have been traded his second season in the NFL. Link

6 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

He was expecting the only scenario in which he dictated. He stated I won't sign a long-term deal before March. So the only option at that point, unless they seriously thought they had a chance to win a bidding war, was to tag him for a third time. HE is the one that controlled that situation. 

Yes. I'm not sure what your point is here. I agree that he controlled it and that was why he expected the outcome.

This is absolutely the point. Why lie to a fanbase and to a team and say that you want to be somewhere when you don't. He absolutely wanted to be gone, the only reason he stayed here is for the tag. 

He's always said that he wanted to be where he was wanted. But he has also said multiple times that he also did like the option of FA so he could pick the place he wanted to play. This was not a revelation that just came up this season.

I as a fan am insulted because I believed he wanted to be here. I am one of the naive ones that fought to have his back, because I felt he had ours. He is a great politician, because he portrays an honest person who can word things correctly to make you believe in them. The fact is Kirk never wanted to be here. If he had his way, he would have been traded his second season in the NFL. 

Be insulted all you want as a fan. But realize this is a business. Both the team and the players are engaged in a business on that side of things. 

As for him saying the right things, you bet. Its smart negotiation. I sold cars for a few summers in college. The ones where the person started out saying "OMG, I love this car" were the ones I made the most $$ off of. The ones where only AFTER the negotiation was over that the buyer said "I loved this car and would've taken it at your original offer", were tough but I understood why they played it close to the vest. Its a business. 

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes. I'm not sure what your point is here. I agree that he controlled it and that was why he expected the outcome.

He's always said that he wanted to be where he was wanted. But he has also said multiple times that he also did like the option of FA so he could pick the place he wanted to play. This was not a revelation that just came up this season.

Be insulted all you want as a fan. But realize this is a business. Both the team and the players are engaged in a business on that side of things. 

As for him saying the right things, you bet. Its smart negotiation. I sold cars for a few summers in college. The ones where the person started out saying "OMG, I love this car" were the ones I made the most $$ off of. The ones where only AFTER the negotiation was over that the buyer said "I loved this car and would've taken it at your original offer", were tough but I understood why they played it close to the vest. Its a business. 

The bolded is exactly why you tag Kirk Cousins and you trade his rights. This is a business and he is a commodity. 

The underlined is wrong because of the definition of negotiation:

Negotiation means: discussion aimed at reaching an agreement.

This scenario there was no negotiating, you either tag him or watch him leave. The whole "he wanted to be where he was wanted" is BS. Two straight franchise tags valued at 50+ million isnt enough to show you are wanted? Come on. He didn't want to be here and he played the part of a professional while he was here. His end-game never changed. 

13 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

The bolded is exactly why you tag Kirk Cousins and you trade his rights. This is a business and he is a commodity. 

And its exactly why...as the commodity, he can force your hand and sign that tag and force you to decimate your roster in order to claw back cap space. The Redskins aren't the only ones who can play hardball here.

The underlined is wrong because of the definition of negotiation:

Negotiation means: discussion aimed at reaching an agreement.

Sure. But each party to a negotiation does not always have a singular goal. Most negotiations I've been in, I've had 2,3,4 goals. And had to play my intentions close to the vest

This scenario there was no negotiating, you either tag him or watch him leave.

Correct. That is the nature of FA in the CBA.

The whole "he wanted to be where he was wanted" is BS. Two straight franchise tags valued at 50+ million isnt enough to show you are wanted? Come on.

Nope. He wasn't. There were two straight years of insulting, low-ball offers. And then the Redskins used the tag as a sort of "we have no better options so here". That doesn't tell me he was wanted. It tells me that the Redskins had no better options. 

He didn't want to be here and he played the part of a professional while he was here. His end-game never changed. 

After way "Kurt" was disrespected through constant leaks by the organization, by the low ball offers, etc... yeah, I probably wouldn't have wanted to stay either.

As for end game, realize this. Pretty much every player wants to hit FA. That's almost every player's end game.

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Kirk had already stated unless the Redskins tagged him, he was going to be a FA. 

Well ... yes. He wanted to see what the market would bear for him. That did not preclude going back to Washington and saying "hey, Denver is offering X, what will you guys do?" But that only works if they didn't trade for Smith.

Why does shopping his talents around make him a slimeball? He is operating in the rules of the CBA and the mess of the Redskins' own making.

Archived