Alex Smith to Washington!

FireVanceJoseph

Haha.  The price for Cousins could get ridiculous.  I don’t know what every teams salary cap situation looks like, but Cleveland, Denver, Arizona, Buffalo, Jacksonville, and the New York Jets, he’ll maybe even the Vikings, would all love to have Cousins as their starting QB for the next 4-5 years.

Unless Elway gets really creative, Cousins may end up out of Denver’s price range.

On another note, Cleveland was the other team in the mix to acquire Alex Smith.  It came down to Washington and Cleveland.

8 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Haha.  The price for Cousins could get ridiculous.  I don’t know what every teams salary cap situation looks like, but Cleveland, Denver, Arizona, Buffalo, Jacksonville, and the New York Jets, he’ll maybe even the Vikings, would all love to have Cousins as their starting QB for the next 4-5 years.

Unless Elway gets really creative, Cousins may end up out of Denver’s price range.

On another note, Cleveland was the other team in the mix to acquire Alex Smith.  It came down to Washington and Cleveland.

The Jacksonville deal with Bortles now having surgery I think takes them out of the running. Sounds like he’s going to be on the roster next year.

I think Arizona could be a big player with David Johnson there and at least one more year of Larry

57 minutes ago, FireVanceJoseph said:

I always wanted Barkley or Nelson at 5. 

Okay, so I'm a Nelson fan, at least so far.

Can't help but think though that if we're on an OL rebuild, trade back a bit in the 1st, up in the second, and grab guys like Williams and Price. Those kids will play well in the NFL.

1 minute ago, iLikeDefense said:

Idk to be more shocked that this trade happened or that the redskins just gave Alex smith that huge extension. 

The trade itself makes some sense, would make more sense for.Cleveland since they have so many draft picks. The extension is indefensible. Peak Dan Snyder Redskins. Just unreal.

2 minutes ago, iLikeDefense said:

Idk to be more shocked that this trade happened or that the redskins just gave Alex smith that huge extension. 

Kinda puts Grudens perspective of Cousins worth on the front burner doesn't it?

I know that the Jets and Browns have money to spend, but I think the Broncos can compete with them beyond the money.  If Cousins wants more than just money and wants to win, why wouldn't he come to the Broncos?  You have Elway who is a great salesperson.  If I were him I would highlight the winning.  That since he was the GM the Broncos have won 5 division championships, two conference championships, and one world championship.  I think that is all you need to say to convince Cousins to sign with Denver.  Along with Denver is a great place to live and raise your kids.  

If I were Mister Elway, I'd ask Cousin when the last time the Jets and Browns won anything?  The Jets haven't been, nor have they won a Super Bowl in over 50 years, and the Browns have never been to a Super Bowl..oh and they just went 0-16.  

The only thing those other teams have is that they have some money to give him and they can label him as the saver of their franchises who can return them to respectability. 

If I am Cousins, I am taking good money, a better quality of life, and a winning culture to sign in Denver.  

I would not, in any way, read what happened as an indictment of Cousins. Washington jerked him around repeatedly, and Dan Snyder is a well-known idiot. Just consider, Cousins' camp proposed an extension where Cousins would have gotten $40MM over 3 years, the Skins scoffed, and then paid him $44MM or so with consecutive franchise tags in TWO years. They're a bunch of buffoons over there. I don't blame Cousins for being sour.

I will say this- I'm going to be following what Mike Klis says very, very closely regarding the QB situation. Last year, I felt Cam Wolfe was plugged in better (he was calling out the Henderson and McKenzie names looooong before the drat) but this year Klis seems very in tune. He posited the 2nd round pick would be necessary in a trade for Smith and that was no accident. Now, he's saying some other things that are intriguing- namely the fact that Denver will pursue Cousins with a different salary structure with a lower AAV but more guaranteed money. That's an interesting approach and speaks to the fact that Denver is cash rich but not cap rich. 

Beyond that, Klis had also said the following- the team would be interested in Keenum but he probably won't be available, and the Broncos were not overly impressed by the Mayfield/Allen combo. He also mentioned something in an article I read about the Broncos potentially passing on QB at 5 unless someone they didn't expect fell (Rosen/Darnold).

It's going to be a fascinating offseason.

Now, he's saying some other things that are intriguing- namely the fact that Denver will pursue Cousins with a different salary structure with a lower AAV but more guaranteed money. That's an interesting approach and speaks to the fact that Denver is cash rich but not cap rich. 

Beyond that, Klis had also said the following- the team would be interested in Keenum but he probably won't be available, and the Broncos were not overly impressed by the Mayfield/Allen combo. He also mentioned something in an article I read about the Broncos potentially passing on QB at 5 unless someone they didn't expect fell (Rosen/Darnold).

This is all very good news to me, outside the interest in Keenum. I am wary of him as a one-year-wonder and would not guarantee much of his deal. Even then, I tend to think he is more likely a flash in the pan than a perennial top 10-12 QB.

With Kirk, we could give him a deal at 26M AV, maybe a bit less than he could get elsewhere, but offer the state of Colorado and a winning franchise, and with regards to guaranteed money do something like 24M (24M GTD), 26M (26M GTD), 28M (20M GTD), 26M (13M GTD), 26M (5M GTD). That's 5 years / 130M with 88M GTD. A huge, huge deal but less than he may get offered elsewhere. I think the idea of fully guaranteeing years 1/2 is a smart strategy if we are negotiation from a disadvantage regarding cap space.

Archived