Alex Smith to Washington!

FireVanceJoseph

27 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I think he's the real deal. There would be a transition period and you'd need to coach the hell out of how and when to take hits. But I think Jackson could be a star for a long time in the right situation. 

I like him too but given our success with developing QBs, we are not the right situation for him.

10 minutes ago, champ11 said:

That's probably true. :(

Haven’t watched a lot of Jackson, but I think he’d need a major change in playing style to last in the NFL. Not that he isn’t capable of doing that.  QBs just can’t take hits in this league, even the big more durable guys like Newton struggle to hold up throughout the year.  Jackson’s small and I’d predict him missing a lot of NFL games if he’s doing a lot of running.

Heck, there were so many injuries on QB scramble slides alone this year that it’s just hard for me to believe Jackson could physically hold up throughout an NFL season.

1 minute ago, germ-x said:

Haven’t watched a lot of Jackson, but I think he’d need a major change in playing style to last in the NFL. Not that he isn’t capable of doing that.  QBs just can’t take hits in this league, even the big more durable guys like Newton struggle to hold up throughout the year.  Jackson’s small and I’d predict him missing a lot of NFL games if he’s doing a lot of running.

Heck, there were so many injuries on QB scramble slides alone this year that it’s just hard for me to believe Jackson could physically hold up throughout an NFL season.

I know he looks skinny and I agree there would be a learning curve. He has more of a basketball players body. But - he's listed at 6'3 211. Who knows if that's accurate - I guess we will find out - but that is solid size for a QB. And he's never missed a game. So that idea is just all based on his perceived body frame than the actuality of him actually ever getting hurt or missing games. 

You'd need a coach that looked after him. Used his athleticism as a weapon rather than a crutch. I think they let Cam get too physical in Carolina and I think Shanahan killed RG3's career. 

19 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I know he looks skinny and I agree there would be a learning curve. He has more of a basketball players body. But - he's listed at 6'3 211. Who knows if that's accurate - I guess we will find out - but that is solid size for a QB. And he's never missed a game. So that idea is just all based on his perceived body frame than the actuality of him actually ever getting hurt or missing games. 

You'd need a coach that looked after him. Used his athleticism as a weapon rather than a crutch. I think they let Cam get too physical in Carolina and I think Shanahan killed RG3's career. 

All definitely possible.  The fact that he hasn’t been injured doesn’t really change my opinion.  I’m also not concerned that he’s going to blow up a knee or something like that.  It’s head/shoulder injuries that concern me.  The more a QB runs the more opportunities there are for those types of injuries.  Now, the system could protect him, but at some point buying in and making the smart play (getting out of bounds, sliding when another 5 yards could’ve been gained) falls on the player.  IMO Alex Smith is the best in the league at this.  KC runs a good amount of zone read and Smith only pulls the ball if he has a huge running lane and even then often times gets out of bounds or slides long before a defender can even attempt to hit him.  He gives up some additional yards in the process, but never takes an unnecessary hit. 

2 minutes ago, germ-x said:

All definitely possible.  The fact that he hasn’t been injured doesn’t really change my opinion.  I’m also not concerned that he’s going to blow up a knee or something like that.  It’s head/shoulder injuries that concern me.  The more a QB runs the more opportunities there are for those types of injuries.  Now, the system could protect him, but at some point buying in and making the smart play (getting out of bounds, sliding when another 5 yards could’ve been gained) falls on the player.  IMO Alex Smith is the best in the league at this.  KC runs a good amount of zone read and Smith only pulls the ball if he has a huge running lane and even then often times gets out of bounds or slides long before a defender can even attempt to hit him.  He gives up some additional yards in the process, but never takes an unnecessary hit. 

Totally agree. And I think Jackson has that type of IQ and has shown clear improvement every year, which to me shows that he is probably a very coachable player. If he is out there taking big hits that's a major issue. Like I've said - I think he can be a very good passer to go along with being electric running the football. We'll see - I'm fascinated to see where he ends up getting drafted. 

Archived