NFL Offseason News

WindyCity

11 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Just throwing this out there FWIW...I recently read a tweet from a Bears blogger with connections to NFL sources who mentioned that he's hearing the WR position won't be as high of a priority for the Bears in FA/draft as people think because the staff thinks highly of some of the guys they currently have on the roster (ie. Meredith, White) and believe they already have guys who can play in this offensive system. 

This is not to say that they won't be adding anybody of note to this group in FA/draft, but for those expecting guys like Landry, Ridley, etc. probably not going to happen so lower your expectations.

I think there’s validity to this. I’m still expecting Meredith as a top 3 and White to compete for top 4, and I expect Inman or a comparable FA to be at 5 competing with White for reps. There are only so many roster spots available, and those FA we might want to fill those roles with may want a more defined role elsewhere while they actually have a say in the matter.  

Spending big on FA at the position sounds good but as our roster is currently constructed (assuming a declined option for White and a RFA tender for Meredith) every WR is on a deal that expires after 2018. If Nagy’s offense is wildly successful for those guys in 2018 then there will be a need for a big financial investment in keeping them here next offseason, and if we’re already heavily on the books adding other teams’ spare parts at a premium price tag this spring then we may not be able to keep our own homegrown talent. Fans don’t necessarily want to consider that type of long game as we approach FA, but the GM has to do just that. 

God Bless Jimmy G's contract.  I read a couple of articles yesterday about a Aaron Rodger's contract extension this offseason and if Jimmy G's and Kirk cousin are commanding 27 to 30 million a season than an Aaron Rodgers contract will have to be what 40 to 50 million per season thus utterly crippling the packers organization and the rest of Rodgers career. 

side note: hell of a bulls game last night.  Jimmy who

19 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

God Bless Jimmy G's contract.  I read a couple of articles yesterday about a Aaron Rodger's contract extension this offseason and if Jimmy G's and Kirk cousin are commanding 27 to 30 million a season than an Aaron Rodgers contract will have to be what 40 to 50 million per season thus utterly crippling the packers organization and the rest of Rodgers career. 

side note: hell of a bulls game last night.  Jimmy who

No Arods contract wont be $40-50M.  It will be probably $30-32 which is still a big chunk of cap space but nobody is paying one player 1/3rd of their cap space.  But this right here, is the reason why now is the time to spend the money necessary to build a superbowl contender. The Bears for all intents and purposes have 3 years of paying Tru peanuts before they have to pay him 20% of the cap.  The greatest market advantage on todays nfl is the franchise qb on a rookie deal.  You have to take full advantage of it.

On 2/8/2018 at 1:08 PM, topwop1 said:

Just throwing this out there FWIW...I recently read a tweet from a Bears blogger with connections to NFL sources who mentioned that he's hearing the WR position won't be as high of a priority for the Bears in FA/draft as people think because the staff thinks highly of some of the guys they currently have on the roster (ie. Meredith, White) and believe they already have guys who can play in this offensive system. 

I think this kind of reflects what I just posted in the WR thread, that sub-4.45/4.5 are key to the Andy Reid offense. Meredith, White, Bellmany, Gentry, McBride, and Wheaton ran in the 4.4s or better coming out of school. The issue with all of those guys is just health and experience.

At the same time, it's very difficult to believe what people say they're "hearing" from the Bears. Nobody has been even a little bit correct on that front so far.

5 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

No Arods contract wont be $40-50M.  It will be probably $30-32 which is still a big chunk of cap space but nobody is paying one player 1/3rd of their cap space.  But this right here, is the reason why now is the time to spend the money necessary to build a superbowl contender. The Bears for all intents and purposes have 3 years of paying Tru peanuts before they have to pay him 20% of the cap.  The greatest market advantage on todays nfl is the franchise qb on a rookie deal.  You have to take full advantage of it.

I could not agree with you more. I look at Russell Wilson on his rookie deal. It's the best time to really build a contender and win a superbowl. The saints are the exception to the rule because of their stellar draft last year. How does SF plan on retaining the remainder of their talent? It's going to be really tough. 

14 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Frank Reich is the new HC for the Colts. Wow, PHI lost Reich and DeFilippo. Ouch.

McDaniels really boned the Eagles. lol

It was bound to happen.  Im really glad Reich got the opportunity.  I didnt understand why Flip seemed to be leap frogging him when Reich has had success everywhere he has been 

11 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

It was bound to happen.  Im really glad Reich got the opportunity.  I didnt understand why Flip seemed to be leap frogging him when Reich has had success everywhere he has been 

As happy as I am for Reich getting his shot I still have no idea how Dave Toub is not a HC.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

As happy as I am for Reich getting his shot I still have no idea how Dave Toub is not a HC.

Its bc he has no "expertise" on one side of the ball.  Andy Reid made John Harbaugh a db coach to finally get him an hc job. It sucks bc when you spend 15-20 years as the absolute best person at your job, youd think that would mean something.

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

What I don't understand is why Philly allowed Flip to take the Minnesota OC job when they knew Reich was interviewing with the Colts and had a good shot to become their new head coach???

I mean...I'd rather Flip not be in the same division as us.....>:(

Reuben Foster 49ers MLB 31st overall is having himself quite an offseason.  He has followed up that arrest for marijuana in January with a domestic violence charge Sunday morning.  They also found an assault rifle.  6 games suspension for sure.  

Side note I hate how the NFL is all SJW on everything but they are Jeff sessions on player smoking some tree     

Archived