Smith to be traded...

starbarkc

41 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Chiefs obviously didn't evaluate Foles properly or completely. Whatever we thought about him he's now got a Super Bowl win to his credit. Foles had a stunning presence on the field this season. And he's the Eagles backup!!

So the eagles get our QB, get our OC to lead them to victory and we in turn get their HC to lead us to..........more playoff losses. This is messed up.

See  one of my posts about how we throw out great talent or let them go, walk, whatever.

1 hour ago, mayanfootball said:

Chiefs obviously didn't evaluate Foles properly or completely. Whatever we thought about him he's now got a Super Bowl win to his credit. Foles had a stunning presence on the field this season. And he's the Eagles backup!!

So the eagles get our QB, get our OC to lead them to victory and we in turn get their HC to lead us to..........more playoff losses. This is messed up.

Maybe this year coming up the year

1 hour ago, samsel23 said:

Meh I don’t think it was a problem of evaluating him completely.  Foles has shown he can play very well in stretches, but can he do it consistently.  He never has before.  Either way Smith nor Foles were the answer as a Franchise QB, and with Smith you knew what you were getting.  He was the perfect QB to allow us to draft Mahomes

So you don't like the winner Foles. Ok, maybe he couldn't be our starting QB back when. But Philly saw something(s) in him to make him their backup QB. Maybe Pederson? And who'd we keep as our backup forever? Why Andy said "give me Tyler Bray"! Well how'd that work out for ya Andy?:(

27 minutes ago, Edge said:

The numbers didn't work out for us to keep Foles if i remember right. We just couldn't afford to pay him the salary, so it was necessary to part ways with him.

Every team must have a good backup QB to compete. Chiefs didn't/don't. If it's about money, that's on the GM and HC. So Andy doesn't really have a backup ready to compete with is my point. Without PMII this last season, KC was lost without Smith. That Smith wasn't injured like 50% of the other starting QB's, was a blessing. Chiefs can't count on an uninjured starting QB every year. Stuff happens. The Eagles were ready, KC isn't.

2 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

So you don't like the winner Foles. Ok, maybe he couldn't be our starting QB back when. But Philly saw something(s) in him to make him their backup QB. Maybe Pederson? And who'd we keep as our backup forever? Why Andy said "give me Tyler Bray"! Well how'd that work out for ya Andy?:(

I never said I didn’t like Foles, he is what he is.  I’m saying there was no spot for him.

Most teams have 2 QBs active on game day.  You have Smith obviously, do you want to leave Mahomes as an inactive and have Foles available, because that is the only way Foles is coming back to KC.

Who is saying we didn’t try to bring him back? But I can guess a guaranteed backup position with Philly looked quite a bit more appealing than most likely getting put as inactive every week with us.

Philly did the exact same thing with Foles that we did. They gave him a 1 year contract disguised as a 2 year contract with a second year base salary that no one expected him to justify as a second stringer (we paid him about $2M in his year here, he was slated to make $10M in his second, Philly gave him $1M with the potential to make $8M in his second.) Philly did basically the exact same thing that we did. They gave him a low value backup contract in year one by allowing Foles to bet on his ability to show his talent enough to justify the year two jump. Foles played 2 games for us where he managed the game adequately. That would not warrant the cuts we'd have to make to have kept him on in year 2, so we cut him knowing we could roll with the star rookie if something happened to Alex. Philly didn't see anything in him that we didn't. They saw and did exactly what we did. Wentz just got hurt for a long stretch of important games as opposed to a short stretch of unimportant games. Had this run of play not happened, the Eagles would have likely cut Foles (as we did) and rolled with Sudfeld, their young backup going forward (as we did.) All that they've really done differently is been lucky enough to get a 4ish game stretch of good Foles, so instead, now they'll be trading Foles and rolling with Sudfeld as their backup.

Additionally, to the question of, how did going with Tyler Bray work out for Andy? Exactly the same as how going with Foles would've worked out, but cheaper. Had we kept Foles, he would've rode the bench all year as Smith was never hurt, we still would've played Mahomes in week 17 to get the rookie some time, so we would've paid Foles $10M to do nothing.

There's a lot of things to praise Doug Pederson for, right now. For that playoff run he basically copied all of the good things his old mentor Reid did (in 10 years Belichek has only allowed 40 points once, all against Reid or Reid tree teams) while not copying some of his failures (though the Eagles did get dangerously close to screwing themselves with the late game clock management, if not for Graham's play.) But his evaluation of Nick Foles was not one of them. They signed him for the same reason they signed Chase Daniel a year prior. He knew the system. That's it. He didn't magically perceive that Foles could win a superbowl. No one though that, not even Foles, if we're being honest. Hell, if they sign Tyler Bray next year, continuing their trend of poaching our backup QBs for the sake of familiarity, I'm sure people would say Pederson knows something Reid doesn't there, too.

This is hindsight at it's best. Everyone knew we'd cut Foles last year. Everyone was fully behind the move.

• Like 4

I agree with everything Jakuvious said.

If u look up the numbers it would have been wrong to do anything else. We didn't had much money to play with. We lost Poe, so we needed to get a replacement. A lot of the money went to Logan, besides that we didn't had much left. There were smaller signings for the depth like in every year. Ofc we could discuss about making some more cuts, but that would have just opened up holes elsewhere, which would have needed to be filled as well. Having Alex Smith, drafting Patrick Mahomes and then still have Nick Foles on the team would have been a luxury we couldn't afford. Before i cut any other player i let Foles go and put the trust into the QB i was thinking to draft to be the #2 QB on the team.