DeForrest Buckner - Over/Under 10 Sacks

y2lamanaki

I thought this would be a fun topic. Buckner has set a goal of 10 sacks for 2017: 

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/107320-deforest-buckner-sets-personal-goal-sacks-2017/

Last year, in his rookie season, you might remember that he set a personal goal of 6 sacks and hit it, although it comes with the caveat that he played a whole lot more than he probably should have. Can he get more in less playing time (although, likely fresher when he does play)? Does he hit double digits as an interior pass-rusher? What do you think?

10 sacks for an interior DL is tough, but Buckner sure has the talent to do so. He ended the season playing very well and even though he played a lot of snaps, our team was down all 2nd half in most games that teams primarily just ran the ball. If the team is better, there should be more competitive games giving Buckner solid opportunities to get sacks later in games. I'll say he falls short and ends up with 8. 

I'm going to say he hits it and probably surpasses it. He's going to be in a position to be attacking instead of reading/reacting and I think he'll face far less double teams while being fresher which in turn will lead to more production. I think all the talent we've added to the DLine this year and getting Armstead back healthy is only going to help DeFo's game. 

I wouldn't really use sacks as the defining stat to gauge DeFo's season so this is something I'd say he meets 9-10 sacks (Push), because he's probably going to command the most double teams/combo blocks. Aaron Donald in his 3 seasons only has sack totals of 9,11,and 8 last year and he's an interior DL who can bounce around similar to how Buckner is going to be. Interior Lineman should have their own stat that defines them more than sacks because it does represent a dominant player like it could for edge rushers. 

career sack totals - excluding injury seasons

Ndamukong Suh -10, 4, 8, 5.5, 8.5, 6, 5.5

Fletcher Cox - 5.5, 3, 4, 9.5

Gerald McCoy (last 5 seasons) - 5, 9.5, 8.5, 8.5, 7

Geno Atkins - 3.5, 5, 12.5, 3, 11, 9

Michael Bennett had a cool quote about DeFo in that article: 

"I'm lucky to be working with a guy like that," Bennett told KHON-2 in Hawaii. "I think DeForest will eventually be a Defensive Player of the Year. I think he has the talent to be able to do that. I think his physique – I keep telling him there's nobody like him. He's not normal. His body, his physique, his speed, it's not normal. So when you're not normal you can do not normal things and winning the defensive MVP is not normal for most people. I think he has the capability of doing that."

I'll say under as well as its extremely difficult for inside pass rushers to reach 10 sacks in a season. I could definitely see him getting close though, somewhere between 6-8. While I think the defense as a whole improves a lot, including the total sack number, I think Defo will be the player along the line focused on by opposing OLs atleast intially. 

7 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

I'll say under as well as its extremely difficult for inside pass rushers to reach 10 sacks in a season. I could definitely see him getting close though, somewhere between 6-8. While I think the defense as a whole improves a lot, including the total sack number, I think Defo will be the player along the line focused on by opposing OLs atleast intially. 

I'd agree with that, last year he not only was the guy with the most playing time but also felt like the only guy who was really capable of creating some danger for the QB( especially towards the end of the season). This season now his role is a bit different and we have Armstead back + Thomas, so 8 is a good shot I'd say.

Archived