Alex Smith traded to Washington. Who should the Cardinals target?

Smhx2519

With Alex Smith being traded to the Redskins who would you like to see the Cardinals target at QB. I think AJ McCarron makes sense. He’s shown some good things in limited action. Draft a QB this year and resign Gabbert as a back up. What are you thoughts?

6 hours ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

I'd rather pass on Gabbert. I'm thinking a trade of a 4thish round pick for Foles and then draft. Foles provides the ability to bridge for our rookie, but shouldn't block him out if he performs well. 

I don’t see a huge difference between Foles and Gabbert other than giving up a draft pick but ok. I’m willing to go that way. 

40 minutes ago, Smhx2519 said:

I don’t see a huge difference between Foles and Gabbert other than giving up a draft pick but ok. I’m willing to go that way. 

Foles has been able to win football games before. That's the main difference between the two. Beyond this year, he was successful under Shurmur and Chip Kelly as well

1 hour ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Foles has been able to win football games before. That's the main difference between the two. Beyond this year, he was successful under Shurmur and Chip Kelly as well

Look at the talent level surrounding each. 

9 hours ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

I'd rather pass on Gabbert. I'm thinking a trade of a 4thish round pick for Foles and then draft. Foles provides the ability to bridge for our rookie, but shouldn't block him out if he performs well. 

You're going to be paying in the realm of multiple top 50 picks for Foles. Not a fourth rounder.

In terms of a veteran I'm waiting to see how the chips fall and picking up a guy on a not too costly deal who can start.

I'm then turning to the draft and the focus if this year and next year's first round picks as well as others is getting thay QB you want. If that means trading up to #3 or #4 to ensure you get Mayfield do it. If it means offering the house to the Colts to get Rosen/Darnold if the Giants pass then do it.

It's now or never for Arizona in the draft they've backed themselves into a corner by ignoring QB in the draft for so long.

1 hour ago, khodder said:

You're going to be paying in the realm of multiple top 50 picks for Foles. Not a fourth rounder.

In terms of a veteran I'm waiting to see how the chips fall and picking up a guy on a not too costly deal who can start.

I'm then turning to the draft and the focus if this year and next year's first round picks as well as others is getting thay QB you want. If that means trading up to #3 or #4 to ensure you get Mayfield do it. If it means offering the house to the Colts to get Rosen/Darnold if the Giants pass then do it.

It's now or never for Arizona in the draft they've backed themselves into a corner by ignoring QB in the draft for so long.

I agree with your urgency about getting a QB for this team. I don’t argue the idea of moving up to get your guy. I’m not sold on Mayfield, I’m not truly sold on Darnold and Rosen, plus I think they go 1 & 2. I would rather take a shot on a guy like McCarron and draft someone like Mike White, Luke Falk or Kyle Lauletta. If McCarron is not the guy then go all in next year on a 1st round Guy. But use this draft to bolster the offensive line a WR position. No matter how we go about it the front office failed to bring in a young guy to groom before Palmer retired. 

As a guy who has been watching Foles, I really think he is the answer there.

He's the best you can get for what you will want to do at the lowest price.

Despite the fact there were so many RPO's this year, Foles throws a good deep ball, particularly along the sideline.  He has an awesome trajectory over the DB's.

Also, when running an RPO, he has David Johnson to keep defenses honest.

With all of the speed of Brown, Brown and Arrington (the WR corps, not the law firm) defenses will be hard pressed to keep eight in the box.

I think they should add ... and call me crazy ... Mike Wallace to the mix.  He's experienced, cheap, fast and would pair well with Foles.

That would give you another year to address WR.

Speaking of cheap, Foles wouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

As the draft moves closer, QB's will move up.  Allen, Rosen and Darnold will all probably go top five.  Mayfield should go soon after.

Look at what the Rams, Eagles and Bears paid in recent years.  I don't think Arizon can part with a 2019 1st.

Conversely, I think Foles could be had in a deal that goes as follows (or something similar):

Arizona gets:  Foles, 4th (NE), 5th (SEA)

Philadelphia gets:  2nd, 3rd, 7th

The Cardinals only drop one aggregate pick and the equivalent value is the 33rd/34th pick overall for Foles.

The Eagles, meanwhile, restock their draft to a pick in each round.

I don't think the Cardinals can win anything with a rookie or a Sam Bradford, Blaine Gabbert or AJ McCarron.  Hell, the Browns wanted McCarron.  He must stink.  :-)

But seriously, given the likely price and the fit into a vertical offense Foles seems like the best option.

The Cardinals would still retain a 1st round pick, a 4th, 5th (2), 6th and 7th (probably).  That does not include any compensatory measures.

Oh, and did I mention (not that it factors into the decision) Foles went to U of A.

Although, half of you probably hate them.  I know I do.  Go Devils Go!

I started looking at this from other team's perspectives about two weeks ago and you guys seem like the best fit.

I really think the eagles keep foles for another year. I don't think wentz will be ready for the early part of the season so they might not have too much choice in the matter. I'm with @khodder here, go get your guy. If you have to trade up 5-6 spots to get Mayfield, you do it. 

I also think Mason Rudolph is going to be a pretty solid QB in the NFL. He should be there at 15. 

Where is Lamar Jackson going to get drafted? My guess he drops to the 2nd or 3rd. 

36 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

I'd trade #15 for Foles for the simple fact that Keim won't be drafting a first rd pick.

I'm avoiding Foles with all my might.

We've been through this before. Trading valuable assets for a QB who is a low end starter elevated by elite coaching and gameplanning.

Keim has said he needs to tie his career to a QB, that means investing in one.

1 hour ago, N4L said:

@khodder

I also think Mason Rudolph is going to be a pretty solid QB in the NFL. He should be there at 15. 

Where is Lamar Jackson going to get drafted? My guess he drops to the 2nd or 3rd. 

Rudolph I think is going to go lower than most expect. Closer to 100 than 10.

I expect Jackson to go in the first round.

5 minutes ago, khodder said:

I'm avoiding Foles with all my might.

We've been through this before. Trading valuable assets for a QB who is a low end starter elevated by elite coaching and gameplanning.

Keim has said he needs to tie his career to a QB, that means investing in one.

If only they waited a bit longer and nabbed JDF in a package deal.

Pre-Foles winning the super bowl I'd have been open to the idea. Now he's likely going to cost at least a second round pick and he simply isn't that good. 

8 hours ago, khodder said:

Rudolph I think is going to go lower than most expect. Closer to 100 than 10.

I expect Jackson to go in the first round.

I agree with both of these. Rudolph IMO has a perceived low ceiling that's  going to drag down his value. Jackson on the other hand has a ridiculously high ceiling. Very intrigued to see wherever he goes. 

This all being said, even as someone who prefers being a little bit more conservative, this is a year we should be aggressive in the draft. Trade up, do something that's going to give us a chance at moving from good to elite

Archived