Alex Smith traded to Washington. Who should the Cardinals target?

Smhx2519

1 hour ago, DirtyDez said:

To trade up for Baker or Lamar it will take an RG3 haul.  Three 1st rd picks which Keim won't be willing to do.  

Thank God Keim is smarter than that. Mayfield might go higher than 15 and I wouldn’t waste 15th pick on Lamar Jackson. He is a less accurate version of RG3. The Cardinals will have to hope they can find and draft the next Kirk Cousins or Dak Prescott...

On 2/7/2018 at 1:32 AM, khodder said:

I'm avoiding Foles with all my might.

We've been through this before. Trading valuable assets for a QB who is a low end starter elevated by elite coaching and gameplanning.

Keim has said he needs to tie his career to a QB, that means investing in one.

I think it depends on if you think the Cardinals are a QB away from being a real contender.  I personally think that even with Foles, they would be the 3rd best team in the division at best, so it's probably not worth it to give up #15 for him.

On 2/8/2018 at 6:32 PM, DirtyDez said:

To trade up for Baker or Lamar it will take an RG3 haul.  Three 1st rd picks which Keim won't be willing to do.  

I would take Lamar Jackson.  Based on what I've seen, he has went from a potential #1 - top 3 pick 6 months ago to someone who might be the 5th or 6th QB selected.  I think he has the tools to be a great player, but he needs great coaching and time.

29 minutes ago, showtime said:

I think it depends on if you think the Cardinals are a QB away from being a real contender.  I personally think that even with Foles, they would be the 3rd best team in the division at best, so it's probably not worth it to give up #15 for him.

Based on what? The Seahawks are on the decline, the 49ers got a QB with 7 total starts and not much else. The Rams caught fire but there is no proof they can match last year. No the Cardinals are not just a QB away but they’re not that far away either. Get an above average QB and WR with improved Oline play and we are as good as any in the division. 

35 minutes ago, showtime said:

I would take Lamar Jackson.  Based on what I've seen, he has went from a potential #1 - top 3 pick 6 months ago to someone who might be the 5th or 6th QB selected.  I think he has the tools to be a great player, but he needs great coaching and time.

Lamar Jackson is a less accurate taller right hand version of Michael Vick or RG3. I’d prefer not. It’s exciting to watch for a short period but it doesn’t last. They don’t win from the pocket and eventually they get hurt. Look at Deshaun Watson, he is light years better as a passer but he missed most of the season with an injury. That style of play just doesn’t hold up in the nfl unless you have Cam Newton size 

32 minutes ago, Smhx2519 said:

Based on what? The Seahawks are on the decline, the 49ers got a QB with 7 total starts and not much else. The Rams caught fire but there is no proof they can match last year. No the Cardinals are not just a QB away but they’re not that far away either. Get an above average QB and WR with improved Oline play and we are as good as any in the division. 

Nick Foles played great when he was put into a situation with a great team and elite coaching.  The Cardinals don't have either one of those things, so I'm pretty comfortable in saying the Cards would be the third best team in the division at best.  

23 minutes ago, Smhx2519 said:

Lamar Jackson is a less accurate taller right hand version of Michael Vick or RG3. I’d prefer not. It’s exciting to watch for a short period but it doesn’t last. They don’t win from the pocket and eventually they get hurt. Look at Deshaun Watson, he is light years better as a passer but he missed most of the season with an injury. That style of play just doesn’t hold up in the nfl unless you have Cam Newton size 

Russell Wilson scrambles a lot and he has been terrific.  I agree that Jackson needs to work on his passing, that's why it would be great for him to go to a team where he can afford to sit for like two years or so before being thrown into the fire.  Also, it doesn't really matter what QB's who are like Jackson have done.  A lot of this depends on how hard Jackson is willing to work and how coachable he is.  Vick openly admitted that he didn't give everything he had to the sport and trying to get better, had he done (and not got into trouble), he might have been a first ballot HoF'er.  

Watson's injury is just something that happens to guys sometimes.  He was literally in practice and was running non-contact drills and tore his ACL.  From what I've seen of Watson, he seems cut from the same cloth as Wilson.  Uses his legs to scramble and make plays, but is primarily a thrower.  He also seems really good about preventing the amount of hits he takes by running out of bounds or sliding.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Nick Foles played great when he was put into a situation with a great team and elite coaching.  The Cardinals don't have either one of those things, so I'm pretty comfortable in saying the Cards would be the third best team in the division at best.  

The Cardinals went 13/3 two year ago and were in the nfc championship. Nobody knows what type of coaching the Cardinals have right now as it’s a brand new staff. Just like nobody knew how McVay was going to do last year. 

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Russell Wilson scrambles a lot and he has been terrific.  I agree that Jackson needs to work on his passing, that's why it would be great for him to go to a team where he can afford to sit for like two years or so before being thrown into the fire.  Also, it doesn't really matter what QB's who are like Jackson have done.  A lot of this depends on how hard Jackson is willing to work and how coachable he is.  Vick openly admitted that he didn't give everything he had to the sport and trying to get better, had he done (and not got into trouble), he might have been a first ballot HoF'er.  

Watson's injury is just something that happens to guys sometimes.  He was literally in practice and was running non-contact drills and tore his ACL.  From what I've seen of Watson, he seems cut from the same cloth as Wilson.  Uses his legs to scramble and make plays, but is primarily a thrower.  He also seems really good about preventing the amount of hits he takes by running out of bounds or sliding.

Russell Wilson is an extremely accurate passer and plays more like Fran Tarkington or Aaron Rogers than Vick. Go ahead and name the run first QBs like Jackson who have had sustained success in the nfl? 

Archived