2018 Coaching Changes

Yibbyl

I figured I'd keep this generic so we could keep all of the new hires in one spot.

Anyway, per The Scoop:

Buffalo Bills: John Butler, who previously coached the secondary for the Texans, is being hired to coach the secondary for the Bills.

Any thoughts? I always cringe a little when I see us hire someone just recently fired.

And, same source...

Buffalo Bills: Defensive line coach Mike Waufle has retired after 20 seasons coaching in the NFL.

I hate to see Waufle retire but I get it he was in pain and getting up there in age.

I like the move for John Butler, the texans had a disastrous season mainly because of their offense, they also lost key contributors on defense like abouye . The texans pass d the years before that were top 5  while he was DBs coach. I think this was a solid move. Also McDermott tends to work with DBs alot because that was his specialty so I do not see the production dropping next year in the backfield on defense especially if Gaines is retained.

More shuffling of the deck today...

Per The Scoop:

Buffalo Bills: Assistant defensive line coach Bill Teerlinck has been named defensive line coach. He replaces Mike Waufle who announced his retirement earlier this week. After serving as a defensive assistant last season, Aaron Whitecotton has been named assistant defensive line coach.

Low level coach does low level things...for now.

Per The Scoop:

Buffalo Bills: Alabama analyst William Vlachos is joining the Bills as an offensive assistant, per multiple reports.

So, when I think of Alabama, I don't think, "Gee, I'd like to pick up a few of the coaches responsible for this offense!"

On 2/5/2018 at 12:49 AM, Yibbyl said:

Low level coach does low level things...for now.

Per The Scoop:

Buffalo Bills: Alabama analyst William Vlachos is joining the Bills as an offensive assistant, per multiple reports.

So, when I think of Alabama, I don't think, "Gee, I'd like to pick up a few of the coaches responsible for this offense!"

Not gonna be much... just a kid trying to get into coaching it seems. Maybe he may help out with bringing some of Alabama OLine schemes to Buffalo as he was a Center for Bama.

And then there were two...well, three. Obviously no accident that another coach from Alabama has come to town since we hired Daboll as our OC. Why this didn't click earlier I have no idea...probably due to years of killing brain cells with beer! Anyway, I can't help wonder just what our offense is going to look like. Alabama has never done anything offensively that has intrigued me. Ever.

Once again, from The Scoop:

Buffalo Bills: University of Alabama offensive analyst Shea Tierney is joining the Bills as an offensive assistant, per source.

Nervous seeing all the Alabama assistants being brought on, but not surprised. Like you @Yibbyl, the Bama offense has been horrible. I don't enjoy watching their style of attack and I don't think it'll work in the NFL. Hope these guys can adapt.

24 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

Nervous seeing all the Alabama assistants being brought on, but not surprised. Like you @Yibbyl, the Bama offense has been horrible. I don't enjoy watching their style of attack and I don't think it'll work in the NFL. Hope these guys can adapt.

Think you guys are looking to much into it... They are just assistants. Not even position coaches or not even assistant position coaches. They are legit the bottom of the totum pole of coaches. What this tells me is Daboll is either one going to be in the booth and wants assistants down on field to help communicate with players or two he will be on field and wants a group of guys in the booth to analyze what defenses are doing and let him know. I'm guessing the 2nd one since they we're analysts at Alabama.

11 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I'd be more worried about losing Frazier than I would these assistants. 

Yup. Not liking this one bit. Per the Scoop:

Indianapolis Colts: The Colts have sent an interview request for Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, tweets Ian Rapoport.

20 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I'd be more worried about losing Frazier than I would these assistants. 

While it would definitely suck that we would have to go through change again I wouldn't mind if he left. Gotta remember that Frazier isn't a McDermott guy. He was recommended to him. I'm confident Sean could get a guy to run his defense. Leslie and Sean both have similar schemes in pass defense but Sean's linebacker are usually way more aggressive in his scheme compared to Frazier's.

1 hour ago, marshawn lynch said:

While it would definitely suck that we would have to go through change again I wouldn't mind if he left. Gotta remember that Frazier isn't a McDermott guy. He was recommended to him. I'm confident Sean could get a guy to run his defense. Leslie and Sean both have similar schemes in pass defense but Sean's linebacker are usually way more aggressive in his scheme compared to Frazier's.

I think Butler is the hier apparent. But I wouldn`t want to see Frazier leave so soon. He is loyal to the end and someone McD really leaned on this past season (IMO).

Phil McGeoghan is moving on to LAC.

Pretty happy about this as our WR's were definitely not a strong suit and Zay Jones needed a new voice/coach.

Alex Marvez has reported that we have interviewed Terry Robiskie (former Titans OC and Falcons WR coach) and Jimmy Robinson who hasn't coach in the NFL since 2015 when he was the Cowboys WR coach. 

Archived